Gout

KTHSullivan

Gout

Post by KTHSullivan »

Any one here suffer? Got really badly de-hydrated a few weeks ago in France and had an attack, easing now. Crashed in a couple of hundred miles the last few days to show it who is boss; but I think its winning.

Any suggestions??
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
thirdcrank

Re: Gout

Post by thirdcrank »

I've been sweating buckets these last few weeks from a combination of hot weather and stress. My feet have been playing up but, AFAIK it's not gout. My right foot has never been right - if you see what I mean - ever since I broke my achilles some years ago, and it's recently been feeling worse, but my left foot has now started to go the same way.
John100

Post by John100 »

Gout is fairly common. More in men but women catch up a bit after the menopause. Can be extremely severe pain or more low grade. Certain things can set it off such as a bang on a joint, dehydration or sometimes it comes out of the blue. The basic problem is a higher level of uric acid in the blood and an attack of gout happens when the uric acid crystallises in a joint or soft tissues. Was thought to be relatively harmless, but now thought to be connected with other problems such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes. Worth diagnosing it properly with a blood test although this sometimes needs to be repeated as it can come back normal to start with. Initial treatment is with antiinflammatories such as ibuprofen, which you could try over the counter. Speak to your GP about your symptoms. Hope it settles.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

there's a couple of herbals that help with leg circulation, butchers broom and horse chestnut extract.

stamping about in a couple of inches of cold water daily also helps.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Uric acid control ...
Alinpurniol on prescription from your GP
No more gout ...
And a massive reduction in the risk of arthritis ....
My gout was literally crippling ..
But ...
No symptoms at all since taking my daily tablet.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

Yes, I got it a few times in my big toes, excruciating pain, a bit like having your toe clamped in a vice with someone using a blow torch on the vice. The last time I got it, I didn't realise what it was as I had a severe pain in my right knee, it felt so bad that I thought I'd somehow broken my leg and went into A&E for treatment. The x ray didn't show anything and the doctor suggested it was gout, I didn't realise you could get it in your knees. My doctor prescribed allopurinol, which I've been taking for about 10 years and - touch wood, haven't had another attack since.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Dehydration can be a factor in gout attacks as can the use of diuretics - water tablets.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

I suffer with it from time to time. If it’s really bad I have some quite strong prescription medicine. Of which one of the main active ingredients is Quinine, but as I don’t like all the other ingredients and super pain killers in there and all the risks/ side effects listed on the box. A ready source of Quinine is Indian tonic water, So if it’s a mild attack, I find drinking tonic water generally cures it. Not with Gin though, as Alcohol can aggravate it.
NUKe

Post by thirdcrank »

NUKe wrote:.... Not with Gin though, as Alcohol can aggravate it.

There's a drawback to everything.

Re diuretics, I was prescribed (Bendroflumiethazide?) them when I was diagnosed with heart disease. A diabetes diagnosis meant more medication (Metformin) and after a while, a different doctor made a big deal of telling me the diuretics should then have been stopped. I tend to take what I'm prescribed without a lot of discussion: I value my mind as much as anything and worrying is a killer.
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Many thanks for all of the replies,

Subsequently some info for fellow sufferers

I have been doing some research on the good old inter-web; luckily I have retained my "academic" passwords from a previous life, so I am fortunately able to access peer reviewed journals. As a lot of people have stated, It appears that uric acid is the main culprit which is aggravated by de-hydration where the uric acid becomes super saturated within the body, manifests itself as a crystalline within damaged or worn joints and is then attacked by ones own defences. This can be further aggravated by the consumption of foods that contain high levels of purines; (shellfish, pulses, bacon, turkey and worst of all marmite) basically everything I tend to enjoy.

It also appears (Bio-Chem/genetics are the black arts as far as I'm concerned) that there are a certain amount of hereditary factors involved in developing the "rich mans disease". I seem to remember my Grand father being a sufferer, but I think my Father managed to skip it. There also appears to be a higher than normal incidence per capita in the South sea islands, in particular French Polynesia; which when skeletons are examined that date from pre western influence (i.e. booze or sugar, marmite (sic)) still have significant signs of the illness. Although admittedly I have no idea if ancient French Polynesian diets were high in purines or not; I also have a certain disinclination to find out if I am perfectly honest.

Neverthless if I moved to the South seas and drank a bottle of decent port everyday I would probably fit in quite nicely.

If I find any more snippets I will post them up
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
Geoffroid

Post by Geoffroid »

It is interesting that posters have attested to the effectiveness of Allopurinol to prevent gout. It seems that the success of this drug has led to little research in recent years into the causes of gout.

By the late 1970's some researchers had begun to suggest that sugar was a likely cause of high uric acid levels, but further research has not been done. Gary Taubes wrote an excellent book, "Why We Get Fat". Research on the internet will show that he had a further chapter for the book that he was unable to complete to his satisfaction. This chapter was about gout and sugar.

My instinct would be to try to eat unprocessed food as much as possible, and a lot of fruit and vegetables with good amounts of fibre.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

thirdcrank wrote:I've been sweating buckets these last few weeks from a combination of hot weather and stress. My feet have been playing up but, AFAIK it's not gout. My right foot has never been right - if you see what I mean - ever since I broke my achilles some years ago, and it's recently been feeling worse, but my left foot has now started to go the same way.

have you been favouring the right and putting extra pressure on the left? that shift in gait can wreak havoc.

I assume they shortened and spliced the tendon back together when it went.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

crazydave789 wrote: ... have you been favouring the right and putting extra pressure on the left? that shift in gait can wreak havoc.

That's probably correct.

No. It was set in plaster, initially pointing toe-down, then gradually returned to what passes as normal in a series of (3?) new casts.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

thirdcrank wrote:
crazydave789 wrote: ... have you been favouring the right and putting extra pressure on the left? that shift in gait can wreak havoc.

That's probably correct.

No. It was set in plaster, initially pointing toe-down, then gradually returned to what passes as normal in a series of (3?) new casts.

it's possible your arches are relaxing so you might need supports or exercise to tighten them back up.

https://www.softstarshoes.com/live-bare ... foot-pain/
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Thanks for the advice and suggestion :D