M5 Cyclist

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Bonefishblues

M5 Cyclist

Post by Bonefishblues »

Mick F
Spambuster

Re: M5 Cyclist

Post by Mick F »

What about cycling on a busy dual carriageway?
Legally, you can do it, but not on a quiet motorway.

What is the practical difference here?
Mick F. Cornwall
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

None whatsoever except the sort of legal bit :lol:
fossala

Post by fossala »

Mick F wrote:What about cycling on a busy dual carriageway?

Until recently I've tried to have a balanced view with laws regarding cycling. In the last 48hr I've changed my tune and thought f*** it! If the government want to start a war against cyclists it's just a few more laws I'll ignore. Cars are more dangerous than bicycles, maybe they should be the ones banned from motorways.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Mick F wrote:What about cycling on a busy dual carriageway?

A bit safer on the motorway if you stick to the quiet left strip, but more legal on the dual carriageway.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Maybe one day there'll be motorways with segregated cycle paths alongside. Not sure I'd want to cycle on such a facility, however. There's a segregated path alongside the (very busy) A23 d/c just north of Brighton. I've used it many times: it's a relatively safe and easy route to and from Brighton. But is it a pleasant ride, what with all the traffic roaring past? One guess!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Pardon? Could you type that more loudly?
mjr

Post by mjr »

MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

The difference is that cycle lanes are signed in blue - a different colour from ‘notmal’ roads, A roads, and M... oh
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

This is not an uncommon occurrence for either vehicles to bikes

Often it is poor access design, poor signage and the individuals do not realise what has happened util they are already on the motorway.It is not a deliberate act or the action of idiots unlesss you are referring to the planners
gaz

Post by gaz »

Whoever designed this was anticipating cyclists riding on an eight lane NSL road with hard shoulders, why else provide a slip to guide* them off?

*I use the word guide in its loosest sense. There's no direction signs to tell you where the slip goes or how to continue your journey.