North Norfolk Coastline

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
pootler

North Norfolk Coastline

Post by pootler »

I have just found out that my wife has a three day art course booked early in September. Now my default position at this point is to book a train to Scotland and go camping or hostelling. However I was just considering a possible change and heading for possibly King's Lynn and going east along the coast. I have little knowledge of this area. Has anyone been along there recently and got any thoughts?
eileithyia

Re: North Norfolk Coastline

Post by eileithyia »

Well Scotland it isn't, but has lots of pretty lanes and interesting places. Last time i was there we camped at Fakenham race course (not using this as an accommodation suggestion, but we rode daily from this point on plenty of small quiet lanes.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Wonderful area. There are few main roads and those that there are inadequate for the traffic they carry. Keeping off them is easy because of the network of minor roads. The NCN 1 runs parallel with the main road along the coast so you can use that as a general route but absolutely no need to stick to it.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Yes, rode through last month. The only problem is that the best views of the sea are from the coast rode which is fairly busy and is best avoided. The inland lanes are excellent and there are some gentle hills that afford good views. The big estates afford ample cake opportunities. I like Wells and would recommend the Globe if you need accommodation.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

They dont have hills there, just slopes! Lovely area. The seals at Blakeny, Minimere RSPB reserve. Crabs, kippers and bloaters. Holkam Hall, Sandringham. Quiet roads, thatched churches, local produce at the roadside, wonderful skylines. Further south you have the jewel of Walberswick an artists paradise. Great area for gentle touring.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
mjr

Post by mjr »

Route 1 is a good introduction to the area except for short sand sections near Wells and on Marriott's Way, which you should find how to avoid by searching my previous posts. Other than that, most roads are good cycling except A and not-built-up B roads without cycling infrastructure. Even those can be tolerable for short stretches to link things up, such as to get from Roydon to get to Castle Rising or across the Rudhams. I live here: ask if you'd like me to suggest a route (let me know stopping points or daily distances) or opinions on one you've planned.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
TRM

Post by TRM »

mjr wrote:I live here: ask if you'd like me to suggest a route (let me know stopping points or daily distances) or opinions on one you've planned.

I'm not the OP but I hope you don't mind me jumping in. I'm currently planning a small tor in Norfolk over the bank holiday (i know it will be busier than usual). Getting the train out to Stowmarket on Friday afternoon and then around to Kings Lynn to get then train back to London on Tuesday. Looking to cover around 40 miles per day and camping overnight. This is the route i have planned without knowing the area at all. https://cycle.travel/map/journey/75109

Do you have any suggestions of how it could be improved or things/places we should do/see along the way?

Thanks

TRM
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

al_yrpal wrote:They dont have hills there, just slopes! Lovely area. The seals at Blakeny, Minimere RSPB reserve. Crabs, kippers and bloaters. Holkam Hall, Sandringham. Quiet roads, thatched churches, local produce at the roadside, wonderful skylines. Further south you have the jewel of Walberswick an artists paradise. Great area for gentle touring.

Al

Good list but as you are thinking of starting from Kings Lynn you could add in Sandringham. Wells next the Sea as you mentioned art has several new art installations, I have only seen the RLNI horse statue in the harbour, it is there till the end of September.
NUKe

Post by pootler »

Thanks a lot. Time to get the maps out I think.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Bit pushed for time but I can recommend Pond Farm campsite just slightly inland from Cromer.

https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/deta ... revid=3727

and if you search this forum you should find a write-up from me.
Sweep
mjr

Post by mjr »

TRM wrote:This is the route i have planned without knowing the area at all. https://cycle.travel/map/journey/75109

That's not loading for me. Is it public?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
TRM

Post by TRM »

mjr wrote:
TRM wrote:This is the route i have planned without knowing the area at all. https://cycle.travel/map/journey/75109

That's not loading for me. Is it public?

Opps, my bad. It should be public now.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

My sister had a static caravan near Hunstanton, so we have toured extensively in west Norfolk. There's a lovely network of lanes just inland from the coast. Sandringham is nice and we've also been to Burnham Market, Great Walsingham, Wells, Cley, Sheringham. There are several bird watching opportunities, if you like that sort of thing. Further inland, Castle Acre is worth a visit and we've also been to Fakenham. Goldeneye do an excellent cycling map of the area, showing all of the inland routes.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
mjr

Post by mjr »

TRM wrote: Getting the train out to Stowmarket on Friday afternoon and then around to Kings Lynn to get then train back to London on Tuesday. Looking to cover around 40 miles per day and camping overnight. This is the route i have planned without knowing the area at all. https://cycle.travel/map/journey/75109

Do you have any suggestions of how it could be improved or things/places we should do/see along the way?

Mile 6 - continue forwards to Mendlesham to cross the A140 (which may be very busy) in Brockford Street for the minor benefit of a 30mph limit and turning left off the A road, instead of turning right off a 50mph stretch in Brockford Green.

Mile 20 - very debatable but I like Brockdish and Harleston so I'd go through them despite it meaning you have to pick two of a choice of annoying crossings of the A road.

Bungay to Cromer I don't know on a bike well enough to comment.

Mile 83 - I'd go through Felbrigg Hall's grounds if it's open (the northern branch of Regional Route 30). The surface is that yellow gravel on top of tarmac that the NT likes. It's shorter, more scenic and the cafe is good. Maybe a couple of cattle grids and some speed humps.

Mile 89 - if you like old trains, it may be worth the 2 extra miles to detour up to Weybourne and back, riding past the well-preserved NNR station and maybe see a train.

Mile 102 - your route past the back wall of Holkham is fine and fast but you might like to consider detouring north on back roads to Warham and then parallel to the light railway to Wells-next-the-Sea harbour, as mentioned above. I wouldn't bother with the sand tracks that Route 1 uses unless you enjoy that sort of thing. Then the road west from Wells Community Hospital is passable by bike (some macadam, some tarmac, some cattle grids) to rejoin Route 1 on tarmac at Holkham Hall and south past the obelisk, although the more direct road west to join the B road into the Burnhams is also open to cycles and would mean the whole detour adds no distance (but probably some time because Wells will be busy with tourists!).

After that, the route is well-known and I think quite good fun, a good intro to the area even if it doesn't go through as many places as it could. I think most if not all of the pubs on or near that stretch are fine, at least until Lynn town centre ;-)

Burnham Deepdale (I think it's called Dalegate Market but it's been a while), Titchwell (RSPB) and Thornham Deli are all good cake stops and riding the long roads down towards the coast can be fun - dragging back away from them, less so, but easier after cake!

Hunstanton, Heacham and Snettisham are all good beach detours if you have time, decreasingly touristy.

As you reach the top of the drag out of Ingoldisthorpe, look back right over the fields and across the Wash and Boston Stump is visible on clear days.

Sandringham is famous and magnificent but if you're too late for it to be worth paying the relatively high entry fee, the loop north and west from the visitor centre (called Princess's Drive or the Scenic Drive - motor traffic has to go clockwise around it) can still often be lovely.

Then the final half-freewheeling from there into the Woottons and the old railway line to the Walks is a lovely ride, but keep one eye open for tree root ripples alternating with very very smooth tarmac as it passes over different council and drainage board territories.
TRM

Post by TRM »

mjr wrote:
TRM wrote: Getting the train out to Stowmarket on Friday afternoon and then around to Kings Lynn to get then train back to London on Tuesday. Looking to cover around 40 miles per day and camping overnight. This is the route i have planned without knowing the area at all. https://cycle.travel/map/journey/75109

Mile 6 - continue forwards to Mendlesham to cross the A140 (which may be very busy) in Brockford Street for the minor benefit of a 30mph limit and turning left off the A road, instead of turning right off a 50mph stretch in Brockford Green.

Mile 20 - very debatable but I like Brockdish and Harleston so I'd go through them despite it meaning you have to pick two of a choice of annoying crossings of the A road.

Bungay to Cromer I don't know on a bike well enough to comment.

Mile 83 - I'd go through Felbrigg Hall's grounds if it's open (the northern branch of Regional Route 30). The surface is that yellow gravel on top of tarmac that the NT likes. It's shorter, more scenic and the cafe is good. Maybe a couple of cattle grids and some speed humps.

Mile 89 - if you like old trains, it may be worth the 2 extra miles to detour up to Weybourne and back, riding past the well-preserved NNR station and maybe see a train.

Mile 102 - your route past the back wall of Holkham is fine and fast but you might like to consider detouring north on back roads to Warham and then parallel to the light railway to Wells-next-the-Sea harbour, as mentioned above. I wouldn't bother with the sand tracks that Route 1 uses unless you enjoy that sort of thing. Then the road west from Wells Community Hospital is passable by bike (some macadam, some tarmac, some cattle grids) to rejoin Route 1 on tarmac at Holkham Hall and south past the obelisk, although the more direct road west to join the B road into the Burnhams is also open to cycles and would mean the whole detour adds no distance (but probably some time because Wells will be busy with tourists!).

After that, the route is well-known and I think quite good fun, a good intro to the area even if it doesn't go through as many places as it could. I think most if not all of the pubs on or near that stretch are fine, at least until Lynn town centre ;-)

Burnham Deepdale (I think it's called Dalegate Market but it's been a while), Titchwell (RSPB) and Thornham Deli are all good cake stops and riding the long roads down towards the coast can be fun - dragging back away from them, less so, but easier after cake!

Hunstanton, Heacham and Snettisham are all good beach detours if you have time, decreasingly touristy.

As you reach the top of the drag out of Ingoldisthorpe, look back right over the fields and across the Wash and Boston Stump is visible on clear days.

Sandringham is famous and magnificent but if you're too late for it to be worth paying the relatively high entry fee, the loop north and west from the visitor centre (called Princess's Drive or the Scenic Drive - motor traffic has to go clockwise around it) can still often be lovely.

Then the final half-freewheeling from there into the Woottons and the old railway line to the Walks is a lovely ride, but keep one eye open for tree root ripples alternating with very very smooth tarmac as it passes over different council and drainage board territories.

Amazing! Thanks for taking the time to have a look and for all the suggestions. I'm sure it will be these little things that local knowledge brings that make our weekend (especially the cake shops).