Cyclists ignoring traffic lights

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Postboxer

Re: Cyclists ignoring traffic lights

Post by Postboxer »

There are different numbers of offences to commit too, so to commit them at the same rate means cyclists and pedestrians must be offending lots to make up for all the speeding, driving without insurance etc etc.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I imagine some cyclists manage to exceed the maximum speed limit, is that worse than holding up the flow of traffic by going too slowly? :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
crazydave789 wrote:I only hope brexit reduces the number of audi and bmw drivers tearing up the roads with their faulty indicators

To quote a currently en vogue phrase, that's a real dog whistle post, isn't it :roll:

well every cloud has a silver lining.

its still true about BMW and Audi owners being bad drivers though.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

crazydave789 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
crazydave789 wrote:I only hope brexit reduces the number of audi and bmw drivers tearing up the roads with their faulty indicators

To quote a currently en vogue phrase, that's a real dog whistle post, isn't it :roll:

I drive neither. I fear that you may have fallen victim to confirmation bias.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
crazydave789 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:To quote a currently en vogue phrase, that's a real dog whistle post, isn't it :roll:

nah, its factual, BMW drivers were so bad on the road everyone stopped being nice to them so they switched to audis and ruined that brand instead. a friend of mine dreamed of a BMW, he scrimped and saved then finally bought one. he sold it less than year later because people refused to give way or let him out. I think it was all down to them being a bigger seller than the mondeo when it came to reps.

mind you in birmingham driving with a blindfold on would improve many a drivers technique.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

When waiting in a jam on a priority road one may choose to leave a gap for others to join or not
Maybe the majority of drivers in fords, vauxhalls etc could stop allowing prestige vehicles to join :wink:
drossall

Post by drossall »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I imagine some cyclists manage to exceed the maximum speed limit, is that worse than holding up the flow of traffic by going too slowly? :wink:

Cyclists are not subject to speed limits, although common sense applies on appropriate speed. We aren't subject to the law on mobile phone use either, although, again, the general requirement to be in proper control of your vehicle (and, presumably, the one on due care and attention) does apply.

This is for the straightforward reason that Parliament made the sovereign choice to create laws saying that "operators of motor vehicles may not...", and we don't therefore qualify.

Note however that speed limits on sea fronts, in public parks, and so on are normally created under local bye-laws and not the national speeding legislation, and typically will apply to cyclists - not least because cars often aren't allowed in those places, and cyclists may be the main target of such regulations.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

crazydave789 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
crazydave789 wrote:

nah, its factual, BMW drivers were so bad on the road everyone stopped being nice to them so they switched to audis and ruined that brand instead. a friend of mine dreamed of a BMW, he scrimped and saved then finally bought one. he sold it less than year later because people refused to give way or let him out. I think it was all down to them being a bigger seller than the mondeo when it came to reps.

Well, faced with such evidence, what can I say?
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I imagine some cyclists manage to exceed the maximum speed limit, is that worse than holding up the flow of traffic by going too slowly? :wink:
What speed limit??? There isn't one for cycles only motor vehicles. :wink:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
crazydave789 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:I drive neither. I fear that you may have fallen victim to confirmation bias.

Well, faced with such evidence, what can I say?

even top gear used to make jokes about BMW and Audi drivers.

in the US there was a full page april fools advert telling drivers to return their cars to the nearest dealer to have their indicators checked at least ten years ago. it has been common knowledge how ignorant a vast number of BMW drivers are.

still it cheers me up seeing so many broken down on the hard shoulder.

certainly here in brum they are guilty of ignoring red lights, crossings and everyone else on the road in general. we had one last saturday when we stopped at a crossing on red that screamed past overtainking and weaving back and forth. nearly taking out an old geezer with a walker.
Last edited by crazydave789 on 15 Aug 2018, 3:56am, edited 1 time in total.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Very good, I was needing a whoosh parrot for a while.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I see that the OP is now an ex-OP. :roll:

Oh well, that spares us yet more angry exchanges and mudslinging with the bloke.

I wonder, was he a 'plant' out of the generous pool of Daily-Fail-reading bigots who occasionally invade these more exalted spheres? Do they think they can wear down the cycling community by repeated taunts of this kind?

If so, they have failed and will continue to fail. :)

As a postscript: should anyone (cyclist or non-cyclist) wish to post a reasoned and balanced complaint against RLJing cyclists (we all know there are some!) - how should they set about it? What would be the best wording to use? Not "...as a motorist..." methinks!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Watch out, the ex-Op may try again under another name

See if we can spot her :wink:
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I'm curious as to how the gender of the OP seems to be determined....I don't suppose any 'Swiss Vets'* are involved?

*This is very much an in-joke, memories of Cycling+ days!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Xilter

Post by Xilter »

661-Pete wrote:I'm curious as to how the gender of the OP seems to be determined....I don't suppose any 'Swiss Vets'* are involved?

*This is very much an in-joke, memories of Cycling+ days!

Somewhere the ex-op made a rather agitated comment about not being a woman.. I am under the impression continuing to refer to her as such is a vain attempt to get under there skin. Terribly vain as they have left the forum.
My poor poor bottom