Do newspapers use Clickbait on purpose?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
[XAP]Bob

Re: Do newspapers do this on purpose?

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I've been 'done' twice.

Once was coming off the motorway family late at night, along a good road. The policeman stepped out into the road and I had plenty of time to stop - it took me a while to register that he had just stopped in the middle of the road rather than crossing, and I still had plenty of time to come to a gentle stop.

The other was in the states. I pulled into a motel late at night, and then set off again the next morning. In the US speed limits are posted when they change, and then a few hundred yards later, and that's it...
I turned left and pulled onto a road with two traffic lanes in each direction, then a parking lane, followed by about 15' of grass verge before a wide sidewalk, more grass and then houses.
I we tootling along (with no other traffic around) at 42mph - we were in a town after all, even if the road was wider than the A14...
Apparently it was a 30 limit - oops...

However I am much better now - having spent a while commuting 700 miles/week I have tried all the 'go fast, go slow, just sit there' approaches and am much more relaxed in traffic than I used to be. I allow for the time it will take, and have a phone to tell people if I am unexpectedly delayed... (Yes, I factor in sane delays on most journeys)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Danjog wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3654022/Cyclists-riding-test-licence-Angry-motorists-call-end-Lycra-louts.html

Do they do this on purpose to rile up dissent between cyclist and motorists?

Anyone labouring under the misapprehension that the Daily Heil is a newspaper worthy of the word only needs to spend a few minutes reading it to be thoroughly disabused of that particular notion.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The Daily Mail is getting a new editor who has quite different views

I believe he will help stop This Madness
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Xilter

Post by Xilter »

Hmm I have a license. Have had one for 18 years. Rode a 50cc for the first 2years and then got a car and a 600cc bike.

I always said that if bicycles cant adhere to the speed limit then they shouldn’t be using the road.

I was very conscious of this attitude when I decided to sell my motorcycle. ( the car went 8 years ago already ) and commit to cycling.

Incredible how my attitude has changed in the past few weeks. How hard a physical effort i am exerting to keep moving. And how blatantly little respect motorists have for anyone else using the road.

I also once said the roads would be a happier place if more motorists that used a car and only ever had one person and no luggage in them rode a motorcycle instead

Now it seems I believe that, what was it 73%?, of motorists should have a go at cycling on the road before they mount their high horse and try to banish cycles, thinking that, cyclists are the problem here.

ON THE OTHER HAND. if the government wanted to ban cycles from using the road and in so doing made designated cycle lanes on all roads,which of course, were maintended and kept clear of debris. I’d be ok with that too... but I’m Pretty sure that is a financial and on many road a spatial impossibility.
My poor poor bottom
amediasatex

Re: Do newspapers use Clickbait on purpose?

Post by amediasatex »

I always said that if bicycles cant adhere to the speed limit then they shouldn’t be using the road.

Did you mean adhere as in not exceed the posted limit? or were you talking about travelling at the limit, ie: doing 30 in a 30?

If the latter that seems an odd stance to take given that it’s not always appropriate for traffic to travel at the limit, that’s why it’s a ‘limit’ and not a ‘target’
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

One should always use the complete phrase: "maximum speed limit"
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Xilter

Post by Xilter »

[XAP]Bob wrote:I've been 'done' twice.

Once was coming off the motorway family late at night, along a good road. The policeman stepped out into the road and I had plenty of time to stop - it took me a while to register that he had just stopped in the middle of the road rather than crossing, and I still had plenty of time to come to a gentle stop)

I had this happen to me. And I bit my tongue but inside was screaming to say. I can’t have been speeding that irresponsibly if I managed not to mow you down when you jumped out of a hedge in front of me.
My poor poor bottom
Xilter

Post by Xilter »

amediasatex wrote:

Did you mean adhere as in not exceed the posted limit? or were you talking about travelling at the limit, ie: doing 30 in a 30?

If the latter that seems an odd stance to take given that it’s not always appropriate for traffic to travel at the limit, that’s why it’s a ‘limit’ and not a ‘target’

I’m hoping that you read the rest of my post in as much detail. I’m not after a debate just clarity.

There is a difference between choosing to drive slower as conditions may dictate and not being in any way capable of keeping up with the flow of traffic. For example when I used to drive and there was an indivual I would overtake nearly every day cycling in the left lane of a 70mph dual carriage way.

Currently my engine sucks and unless I am having some serious help from gravity there is no way I’m hitting 30mph. Fortunately my commute is exclusively 30mph zones and I need not embarrass myself on a 40 or higher.
My poor poor bottom
amediasatex

Post by amediasatex »

There is a difference between choosing to drive slower as conditions may dictate and not being in any way capable of keeping up with the flow of traffic

Not in law there isn’t, nor in reality. Very few people can achieve 30mph on the flat for long, let alone sustain it and they shouldn’t be excluded from the roads because of it, not least because for many rural dwellers it would totally preclude the possibility of them travelling from one village to the next on what are invariably NSL roads with traffic regularly between 40-60mph.

There is no requirement to be able to ‘keep up’ and not should there be. It is entirely the responsibility of the motor traffic to plan for, and adapt to slower more vulnerable users on the road whether they be cyclist, pedestrian, equestrian or other.

For example when I used to drive and there was an indivual I would overtake nearly every day cycling in the left lane of a 70mph dual carriage way.

I don't much like riding on dual carriageways and avoid it if at all possible, but sometimes needs must. A friend of mine did so every morning for about 3 years, to get to his job at the petrol station, the alternative was a nearly 6 mile detour for him which as far as he was concerned was too far to bother with.
freiston

Post by freiston »

Xilter wrote:I always said that if bicycles cant adhere to the speed limit then they shouldn’t be using the road.

"Slater and Gordon, lawyers" wrote:Speed limits listed in the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 and also Rule 124 of the Highway Code relate to motor vehicles and not to bicycles.

“It shall not be lawful for a person to drive a motor vehicle on a restricted road at a speed exceeding 30 miles per hour.

“A person who drives a motor vehicle on a road at a speed exceeding a limit imposed by or under any enactment to which this section applies shall be guilty of an offence.”

Rule 123 of the Highway Code includes a table that sets out the speed limits for various types of vehicle on various categories of road. The table does not include bicycles.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Xilter

Post by Xilter »

DID ANYONE READ MY WHOLE POST OR ARE THEY JUST NIT PICKING ONE LINE OUT OF CONTEXT ?
My poor poor bottom
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Xilter wrote:I always said that if bicycles cant adhere to the speed limit then they shouldn’t be using the road.

All bicycles can adhere to the speed limit as can every other vehicle.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Speed limits are for motor vehicles, as had been said.
20mph limit in the village here for instance.

If I could run faster than 20mph, would I be breaking the speed limit?
What about skateboards or roller skates?

:lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Danjog wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3654022/Cyclists-riding-test-licence-Angry-motorists-call-end-Lycra-louts.html

Do they do this on purpose to rile up dissent between cyclist and motorists?

Can a duck swim?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
amediasatex

Post by amediasatex »

Xilter wrote:DID ANYONE READ MY WHOLE POST OR ARE THEY JUST NIT PICKING ONE LINE OUT OF CONTEXT ?

Yes, but we’ve taken issue with a couple of aspects either because we find it objectionable, or because we’ve misunderstood.

Misunderstanding can swing both ways, either we’ve got the wrong end of the stick, hence the questions, or you’ve not explained yourself as well as you think you have.