What would you do differently?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Igobybike

What would you do differently?

Post by Igobybike »

Soon about to leave for my own first, and maybe only ever LEJOG. Things are pretty much fixed - unsupported, with a friend, route, accommodation, number of days and style - ie b&b's, eating out lower weight higher cost stylee rather than the opposite. Still, for what it's worth, if you were doing it again what would you do differently. Maybe what one thing would you change, or take that you didn't, or leave behind?

Any hints, tips or suggestions that I should consider even at this stage? Thank you!
Cyril Haearn

Re: What would you do differently?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Take a notebook and record your impressions and thoughts
Not just pictures
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Plus One!

Last couple of long rides of mine, I kept a blog. Most B+B places will have WiFi so take a laptop or a tablet.
Mick F. Cornwall
althebike

Post by althebike »

I would book accommodation a couple of days ahead, instead of a couple of hours. Not knowing how far I would ride each day I did not book more than a few hours ahead, so some rides finished with lots of energy and daylight left, simply because I found accommodation, and did not want to risk searching b&b late into the evening with ever less hope of finding anywhere.
If I set myself a 70/80 or 90 miles day target, I could have relaxed into the ride and just do it.
fionat

Post by fionat »

I'd check the Cromatry/Nigg ferry was running before cycling to Cromatry!

Double check any ferries you're relying on - we had to rely on the goodwill of some local fishermen to get us across.

(We're not as stupid as we sound - the website had the timetable, and no indication that it wasn't running for a few weeks)
John100

Post by John100 »

I think you have to go with what you get. Just done it with Wimps. Great crowd. Weather was great as we were camping - awful as we were cycling! Red hot most of the way and any winds from the north. Five minutes of rain just south of Inverness. But I probably wouldn't change a thing as I made it and enjoyed it and the retrospectroscope I don't believe in. So for for it, enjoy the moment (which is something we don't do) and let it happen. As you say you may never pass that way again. Good luck.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

By notebook I mean a thing made of paper where one may inscribe words :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Igobybike

Post by Igobybike »

Cyril Haearn wrote:By notebook I mean a thing made of paper where one may inscribe words :wink:

Lol, and I if I tell the truth I didn't even think of that for a second - I just thought sub-laptop-sized computer :) I have to admit pen and paper would be handier for writing en-route.

Thanks for suggestions so far, keep them coming!
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:By notebook I mean a thing made of paper where one may inscribe words :wink:

Cor!! old skool.

no video diary then
FasterFerret

Post by FasterFerret »

Not pull a 132 mile, 5,800 ft day into a 20+mph headwind and lashing rain, crossing the Scottish Borders...
FasterFerret

Post by FasterFerret »

By which I probably mean don't not have a plan B and be very clear in your own mind on whether you really can ride that day's planned route, not just on a good day,even if the weather is dreadful; and then get up and do it all over again the next day...
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Absolutely nothing. Our LEJOG in September 2003 was perfect. But if there was a way to magically avoid the shattering drive back... :wink:

Good luck with yours.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
irc

Post by irc »

Take a couple of days more. I did 13 day lejog back in the 90s staying mainly in hostels. Just over 1000 miles.

Thinking of a 2nd one next June. If I do it I'll take a couple of days more and shorten the route a bit. A6 rather than Forest of Bowland. Stay in Gretna or Moffat rather than Dumfries.

Maybe go via forth bridge rather than Glasgow.

Take a light sleeping bag and bivvy bag to keep options open and book accommodation mostly on the day
Igobybike

Post by Igobybike »

Well, having now completed my ride I can answer this question. Firstly, it was a great ride, well planned if I say it myself, and everything worked 'perfectly', but not so perfectly that I couldn't think of ways to improve it.

So things I'd do differently:
* I wouldn't use the same route. I'd still be happy using the Royston Woods route as a basis, but I'd keep to the roads as far as possible and, in England, only use cyclepaths and canal towpaths where there was no reasonably quiet, reasonably direct 'safe' road alternative. In Scotland I wouldn't use the route on the A9 beyond Tain, I'd try heading up via Lairg.
* I wouldn't take my Gopro and accessories. Never used it, added weight, and my phone was adequate for my video skills and inclinations.
* I would take some chain lube. My friend did so I was able to use his. It helped keep the drive train running sweetly applying it a couple of times during the trip, although I had cleaned and lubed before the start.
* I wouldn't take 3 spare tubes, just one. Ideally I'd fit some tubeless tyres. Neither of us had any punctures, despite some of the surfaces we rode on.
* I can't really think of anything else!

Other than that it went very well, the daily distances well suited to our abilities and style of trip (unsupported B&B). I still don't know what sort of cycle tourist I want to be, or even if I want to be one - I think my natural 'style' is more 'sportive' than 'touring' and I can't say I really enjoyed the extra weight and drag of panniers, but at the same time I did like doing something other than a circular route, using the bike to travel rather than exercise. I don't think I'll do LEJOG again, just because there's the rest of the world to explore, but I'm really, really happy to have done it.
PeterT

Post by PeterT »

I would do it for charity. So many people wanted to donate because for me it was going to be quite an achievement (and was), yet I chose not to. I could have raised quite a bit for a charity that now I am thinking of doing it again just for that reason.