Fears after cycling accident

allybear11

Fears after cycling accident

Post by allybear11 »

Hi there,
This is my first post on here so I do apologise if this isn't where this topic is supposed to be.

Anyway I'll get right to it. Last Saturday I was in a cycling accident. I was riding down a steep downhill with my boyfriend following behind me. I was stupid and freaked out as I saw a pothole and put my breaks on too hard and locked my wheels causing my to skid off my bike and into a load of gravel. My boyfriend rose into the back of me and flew off into some nettles. I suffered a deep laceration on my elbow which requires required surgery and my boyfriend sprained his ankle and broke his finger.

Now, I still want to cycle. That is certain. However just the idea of riding down hill on the road freaks me out a bit now. Does anyone know how I can get over this fear for when I do get back on the bike?

You don't always get a second chance in life, so always take the first
Cyril Haearn

Re: Fears after cycling accident

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Ride slowly and cautiously, slow right down at the tops of hills, get a bike with a back-pedal brake, choose routes with fewer hills if possible

I much prefer riding uphill but sadly one must always ride down again :wink:

The weather will get better soon, wear two or more thin layers, then if you do fall off the layers rub against each other, less chance of injury. But try not too fall off at all :?

When riding downhill, leave gaps in case something happens, do not follow too close

Plus One for your signature, here is one of my favourites:

- A person who is too slow will do less damage than a person who is too fast
Max Dauthendey
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 18 Aug 2018, 8:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Just take it easy. As brypoeth says, start braking at the top & control your speed.

It might be easier to start some place, like a country park, where you can ride off road.

Cycling with others in a group ride may also be an alternative. Many areas have led rides where you can get some help, advice and/or encouragement.

The other thing that might help is taking Bikeability. Some councils offer it free, otherwise, you may be able to take it through Cycling UK, British Cycling, or a local cycling group.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Beware of braking heavily, if you have rim brakes this could cause the tyre to explode, happened to me once, I had used the front brake too much probably
Had a spare tube, but with a different valve, my pump did not fit, -1
Borrowed a suitable pump from the village policeman in Llanuwchllyn,+1
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Beware of braking heavily, if you have rim brakes this could cause the tyre to explode, happened to me once, I had used the front brake too much probably

OP this is a very very unusual circumstance so don't be too concerned about this.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Practice braking - rear first then feed in the front.

If, as it sounds like yyou did, you just yank on both brakes even Geraint would be on the deck! If the back wheel locks it's not usually a total disaster except to your tyre - same on the front will almost certainly have you off unless you are very skilled.

Always, and I can't emphasise this enough, ride within your comfort zone. I might be fine going downhill at 30, 40, 50 mph that doesn't mean you should.

As has been suggested, bikeability will help with your confidence.

Just as general advice, wear some form of eyewear all the time - insects / dirt if they get in your eyes can be very dangerous and could even blind you. Not quite so nasty but always wear some form of cycling glove / mitt - apart from comfort gripping the bars they will protect your palms in an off - you do not want to 'gravel' your palms!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Beware of braking heavily, if you have rim brakes this could cause the tyre to explode, happened to me once, I had used the front brake too much probably

That's not from heavy braking. That's from keeping your brakes on all the time on a long descent.

The way to avoid that is to alternate brakes (i.e. front, rear, front, rear, etc.), or use them for a few seconds, then freewheel for a few seconds, then brake again. You should never go so fast that you cannot control your speed by one of those means.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
horizon

Post by horizon »

allybear11 wrote:Last Saturday I was in a cycling accident. Does anyone know how I can get over this fear for when I do get back on the bike?

No, but you do. It's just too soon to feel OK - you are still in trauma. Give it time, get better, get over the shock (yes, that takes time to heal too) and you'll find that all will be OK.

Of course, taking it easy at first might be a good idea. :wink:
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

Hi allybear11

You have my sympathies. I know what its like. There are no easy answers other than what others have said. If you can get your head around it, keep cycling. Take it easy at first but in time you should find your confidence returning, though it may be slow in coming. I try not to dwell on what might happen but focus on enjoying the here and now; seeing what is in the hedgerows, feeling the sweat of the uphills followed by the pleasure of the descents.

If the idea of fast downhills keeps on bothering you, don't sweat it. I ride with a chap who has for years braked all the way down. He loves cycling but he always anticipates what might happen. It doesn't stop him getting on his bike.

I hope that manage to keep cycling.

Cheers

B
geomannie
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

It takes time

I was involved in an accident some 35 years ago...

# Skull
#Clavicle
#Ribs (4)
#Pelvis
# Hip

I loved cycling, but I was off the bikes for some 3 months, but was eager to get back on.... until I did

I was nervous about the bike, and had to avoid the route where it happened.

In some ways I felt the bike was partly to blame, (?bad workman / tools?)so I stripped the bike down, had it resprayed and rebuilt it which gave me the confidence that it was in full working order and safe

I took it easy and within a few weeks of riding was able to get about on quiet roads and became more confident in traffic.... and within 3 months I was commuting to work, however it took me nearly a year before I was able to cycle past the place where the accident had happened. I realised that I was taking some long and busy detours to avoid it, so one day just simply decided to overcome that issue and pushed myself. It was difficult, but having done it, the last confidence issues were overcome.

I then rode bikes of all sorts for some 30 years until arthritis from teh injuries curtailed my riding.

However I am now running in a new hip, which should solve that and get me doing more

From this experience:

The fact you are talking about being back on the bike a very brave step, and the most difficult .TAke t easy, nip down to the shops, or pub on a nice simple route, then build things from there
It is then simply taking things one step at a time and picking up confidence as you go
It may help to do a local course or go out with a local group (The council or local bike ship may be able to advise) you may find that you are more experienced than many others, and helping them also builds up your self esteem and confidence

OH... and slap your boyfriend's wrist for being too close in the first place!!!!!!
Stella365

Post by Stella365 »

With time you will overcome fear and get back to cycling. The same thing happened to me.
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Once you've got your confidence back get some tuition, learn about safe positioning with respect to each other on the road. Then if one comes off they don't gather the other off. As it happens I'm booked to coach a senior citizen on Monday, he took a fall off the bike a while back and broke some ribs and injured his knee, and he wants to get back but his confidence has gone AWOL.

Good luck, hope you're back at it soon.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

Great - someone posts on the forum looking for reassurance and encouragement following an accident and is now in mortal fear of a front tyre exploding :(
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:Once you've got your confidence back get some tuition, learn about safe positioning with respect to each other on the road. Then if one comes off they don't gather the other off. As it happens I'm booked to coach a senior citizen on Monday, he took a fall off the bike a while back and broke some ribs and injured his knee, and he wants to get back but his confidence has gone AWOL.

Good luck, hope you're back at it soon.

Please tell us more about your cycle training
Plus One for cops who risk their lives for us
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Airsporter1st wrote:Great - someone posts on the forum looking for reassurance and encouragement following an accident and is now in mortal fear of a front tyre exploding :(

Always assuming that they've read any of what's been posted: this is a first post and the OP hasn't logged on since the middle of August.