...if it’s ever possible to enjoy cycling in the rain

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Peter W

Re: ...if it’s ever possible to enjoy cycling in the rain

Post by Peter W »

It's when the rain turns white and fluffy and wiggles a way between the overlaps in my clothing that I don't enjoy it quite as much as I ought, especially if high up on the moors, batting against a sudden icy head wind which often accompanies such sudden happenings! One hand permanently on windscreen wiper duties over my glasses, and the other steering an erratic one hand course over the pesky stuff piling itself up on the road surface, is enough to annoy even the most amiable of us. (Tricky stuff this water, aint it!) Yet we still return for more because some of us simply won't accept that WE are not in control of things!

Mind you, on one occasion I was quite taken aback. In the middle of the battle the bike suddenly turned into a soggy bendy mass of tubing which I was desperately trying to straighten up and stiffen. Then I woke up, feeling a bit dejected. That was around the same period that I had several dreams of being trapped in a narrow street with tall buildings either side which were all about to collapse and tumble down. (Yes, I can see the symbolic meaning - thankfully long since over!! :lol: )
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Here’s me enjoying a rainy ride on Box Hill in Surrey a couple of weeks ago. I actually quite like riding in the rain, there’s no such thing as the wrong weather, just the wrong kit.

This was the worst ‘storm Emma’ had to offer earlier this year.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

There are different types of bad weather
This evening there is an awful bright low sun
Minus One
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

The cycling bit is OK - the pain is the de-watering of the bike when you get home and the cleaning and re-lubeing of the bike afterwards.
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

Rule #9 or Rule #5 applies
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Neilo wrote:Rule #9 or Rule #5 applies

You'll have to quote them........................
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

JohnW wrote:

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Neilo wrote:
JohnW wrote:

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks Neil - it takes a long time to wade through them all! :D
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Very true.
Peter W

Post by Peter W »

I don't understand folk who say they enjoy riding in the rain, while taking every precaution to prevent getting wet! Doesn't sound logical to me. I mean, mudguards and all. Hardly tallies with rules 5 and 9, manning up and being a 'bad ass'.

No, the only thing I find a little interesting in the rain is 'cracking on' a bit on one of those wet but wonderfully smooth shiny black road surfaces with that glorious shizzle of hard 25 mm tyres, and rhythmic swooshing from pedalling effort with water cascading over my back (and front) from those unfettered wheels. It's easy to get carried away on swoopy frictionless corners and go base over apex, but hey, on that smooth water lubricated surface one can appreciate the graceful slide with water funnelling up the leg 'oles of your shorts (preventing friction burns where it would hurt) and ample sliding time to nonchantly pick your nose before gently coming to a rest.

Well, that's my theory, anyway!
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

Coming home Thursday it was raining so hard it was stinging my arms , the next day i ended up standing under a tree till it had passed over.I dont mind a bit of rain but riding when its really binning it down is no fun.
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
PRL

Post by PRL »

ambodach wrote:On an upright with a cape I only get wet from about the knees down but on a recumbent? Any comments?

With a cape as long as there isn't much wind one can cycle in the rain without getting wet at all in my experience. Very enjoyable and smug-making. Not really being able to signal is a bit worrying in traffic.
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

Rule 5 applies to many eventualities, but cycling in hammering rain is definitely one of them. I live in Pennine Lancashire, not California, and if it's raining, then I'm going to get wet as the other option is not going out at all.

Makes the post ride coffee and cake easier to justify...
hamish

Post by hamish »

Mudguards... Well in proper wet weather, not all the water on the road comes directly from rain. Surcharging inspection covers (manholes) can let sewage discharge onto road surfaces. It's usually dilute, but it's sewage none the less. So that spray of liquid up your backside and in your face is something I try to avoid.
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

hamish wrote:Mudguards... Well in proper wet weather, not all the water on the road comes directly from rain. Surcharging inspection covers (manholes) can let sewage discharge onto road surfaces. It's usually dilute, but it's sewage none the less. So that spray of liquid up your backside and in your face is something I try to avoid.

On the hills, it’s sheep poo...