Jogle route check

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
acky_123

Jogle route check

Post by acky_123 »

Hi all I am newbie to the forum an a newbie to cycling started about 3 months ago when I decided to get some friends together an organize a jogle ride we will be doing it in 9 days next year so trying to get as many miles in as we can to get used to being in the saddle for long periods an we are building the miles up each week my main ask is if people wouldn't mind checking through my routes any any advice on any of them would be greatly appreciated. I have tryed to keep off what I have read to be busy roads but in places jumped back onto them to keep the miles down.

Day 1
https://www.strava.com/routes/13341123

Day 2
https://www.strava.com/routes/13973314

Day 3
https://www.strava.com/routes/14996754

Day 4
https://www.strava.com/routes/14821949

Day 5
https://www.strava.com/routes/14822093

Day 6
https://www.strava.com/routes/14996988

Day 7
https://www.strava.com/routes/14999062

Day 8
https://www.strava.com/routes/14999434

Day 9
https://www.strava.com/routes/14999680
FasterFerret

Re: Jogle route check

Post by FasterFerret »

acky_123 wrote:I am newbie to ... to cycling started about 3 months ago when I decided to get some friends together an organize a jogle ride

I admire your ambition for sure and I certainly don't want to rain on your parade, but some advice from me.

Riding 100 miles in a day is tough, getting up the next day and doing it again is even tougher, then again and again for 9 days straight is very, very tough.

Before you even contemplate what route you take, I would focus on working out what you are actually capable of doing and what you want to achieve, then build your route around that. Until you have a good idea of what you can physically cope with, doing back to back days, with the inevitable bit of bad luck along the way (strong headwinds, rain, mechanicals, accidents and incidents), then your route choice is very much up in the air.

Whilst you are getting stuck into your training have a good read of this forum, there is loads of good information (and loads of good people) on here. You will find a lot of people before you have asked similar questions so there are a lot of 'answers' (no such thing, just lots of helpful opinions for you to find your own answers from) waiting to be found with a bit of patient digging.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

As mentioned above, nothing like a challenge but such a challenge after riding for a short space of time?

Day 7: After crossing Severn Bridge use the SUP along the A403, it is a fast road with HGVs etc on it, and follow the cycleway through quieter roads into Northwick.

Day 8: Leave overnight stay and head for Ashton Court then Festival Way to Flax Bourton to pick up A370 there after the Coronors court, there is a small path that takes you from the 'village green' onto the A370. Once on A370 don't turn off at Congresbury, stay on it for less than a mile and turn off at the bus stop which is the Strawberry Line which takes you all the way to Axbridge, only issue along the Strawberry Line is the tunnel which is lit by LEDs at low level.
acky_123

Post by acky_123 »

FasterFerret wrote:
acky_123 wrote:I am newbie to ... to cycling started about 3 months ago when I decided to get some friends together an organize a jogle ride

I admire your ambition for sure and I certainly don't want to rain on your parade, but some advice from me.

Riding 100 miles in a day is tough, getting up the next day and doing it again is even tougher, then again and again for 9 days straight is very, very tough.

Before you even contemplate what route you take, I would focus on working out what you are actually capable of doing and what you want to achieve, then build your route around that. Until you have a good idea of what you can physically cope with, doing back to back days, with the inevitable bit of bad luck along the way (strong headwinds, rain, mechanicals, accidents and incidents), then your route choice is very much up in the air.

Whilst you are getting stuck into your training have a good read of this forum, there is loads of good information (and loads of good people) on here. You will find a lot of people before you have asked similar questions so there are a lot of 'answers' (no such thing, just lots of helpful opinions for you to find your own answers from) waiting to be found with a bit of patient digging.

Thank you for your concern we completely understand what a challenge it will be after not being big into cycling to start with but having said that we are already fit an active people who like to push to our body's to extremes. We also will have a full support van with us the whole time should anything bike bikewise or person wise lol
acky_123

Post by acky_123 »

Redvee wrote:As mentioned above, nothing like a challenge but such a challenge after riding for a short space of time?

Day 7: After crossing Severn Bridge use the SUP along the A403, it is a fast road with HGVs etc on it, and follow the cycleway through quieter roads into Northwick.

Day 8: Leave overnight stay and head for Ashton Court then Festival Way to Flax Bourton to pick up A370 there after the Coronors court, there is a small path that takes you from the 'village green' onto the A370. Once on A370 don't turn off at Congresbury, stay on it for less than a mile and turn off at the bus stop which is the Strawberry Line which takes you all the way to Axbridge, only issue along the Strawberry Line is the tunnel which is lit by LEDs at low level.

Thank you for the adsive will look it to changing the route where need any help is greatly appreciated
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Day 4. Why are you going to Dumfries?
You’ve added at least 10 ml to that day to get there and then adding something like 20 ml to the next day to get back on route.
In terms of riding time for day 4 you could be as far on as Gretna in stead of being west of route and in Dumfries
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
acky_123

Post by acky_123 »

Paulatic wrote:Day 4. Why are you going to Dumfries?
You’ve added at least 10 ml to that day to get there and then adding something like 20 ml to the next day to get back on route.
In terms of riding time for day 4 you could be as far on as Gretna in stead of being west of route and in Dumfries

HI going to dumfries was mainly cause it gets us around the 100 mile make do you have any other suggestions route wise for that day would be very greatful if u do any help is much appreciated as I am sorting all routes out by myself thanks
acky_123

Post by acky_123 »

acky_123 wrote:

HI going to dumfries was mainly cause it gets us around the 100 mile make do you have any other suggestions route wise for that day would be very greatful if u do any help is much appreciated as I am sorting all routes out by myself thanks

Would surgest just carrying on down to Gretna green instead
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

acky_123 wrote:
acky_123 wrote:

Yes you’ve shown turning off right in Johnstonebridge. Keep straight on along B7076 to Gretna. I cycle both of these directions regularly and I can get to Gretna quicker than Dumfries.

E2E info
acky_123

Post by acky_123 »

Paulatic wrote:
acky_123 wrote:
acky_123 wrote:

Yes you’ve shown turning off right in Johnstonebridge. Keep straight on along B7076 to Gretna. I cycle both of these directions regularly and I can get to Gretna quicker than Dumfries.

That's brilliant thank you
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Day1. Any particular reason you’ve chosen the long way round? You could cut at least 20 ml coming down the coast.

Day 2. Doesn’t seem to be there.

E2E info
acky_123

Post by acky_123 »

Paulatic wrote:Day1. Any particular reason you’ve chosen the long way round? You could cut at least 20 ml coming down the coast.

Day 2 should be up now it was locked as private but changed it to open now. Day 1 gone for the longer way to avoid the a9 as much as pos as it's a very busy road
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

acky_123 wrote:
Paulatic wrote:Day1. Any particular reason you’ve chosen the long way round? You could cut at least 20 ml coming down the coast.

Day 2 should be up now it was locked as private but changed it to open now. Day 1 gone for the longer way to avoid the a9 as much as pos as it's a very busy road

And yet on day 2 you’re using the busier part of the A9 after avoiding the quieter part on day1.
Makes little sense to me.
I think you need to spend a lot more time researching your route. You’ve got a winter ahead in which to do that. By which time you’ll have more idea of your riding capabilities.
Ride more hillier routes than you do now.
Tip on day 2 route using the B road and going through Evanton stop at Cornerstone cafe.

E2E info
acky_123

Post by acky_123 »

Paulatic wrote:
acky_123 wrote:

And yet on day 2 you’re using the busier part of the A9 after avoiding the quieter part on day1.
Makes little sense to me.
I think you need to spend a lot more time researching your route. You’ve got a winter ahead in which to do that. By which time you’ll have more idea of your riding capabilities.
Ride more hillier routes than you do now.
Tip on day 2 route using the B road and going through Evanton stop at Cornerstone cafe.

Yes I will be looking at it all abit more this is all a first draft if u will. An hoping to miss the traffic on the a9 on morring of day 2 aswel we are aiming to start early in the mornings around about half 5 to try get in 30 to 40 miles before rush hour traffic starts so that was the thinking behind that part. An I will make sure to make a note of that Cafe thanks
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Day 8 and Day 9

Day 8.
Don't go over the Cadbury Hills after Tiverton.
You'll be climbing the horrible Bickleigh Hill for one thing. Probably the worst hill to climb on your whole JOGLE.

Best to use Rob's Passage. Look in the forum for the links to it and the route. Highly recommended. Flat-ish and peaceful as opposed to the A3072 over the hills.
Screen Shot 2016-04-19 at 13.37.29.jpg

Day 9.
Why go via Truro and Helston?
A390 via Lostwithiel and S Austell is a hard ride, and Helston isn't nice on a bike.
Best route from Launceston is to go out westerly via Egloskerry and Hallworthy, then A39 via Camelford and Wadebridge, then via St Newlyn East to Zelah and then Three Burrows and Blackwater to Redruth, Camborne, Hayle and Penzance.
Mick F. Cornwall