Whether to buy a Carrera Crossfire or something equivalent

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
richardhb

Whether to buy a Carrera Crossfire or something equivalent

Post by richardhb »

I'm in my 60s unfit and looking to buy an e-bike. Halford do a bike called the Carrera Crossfire that is within my budget at £1000, however I'm told the parts are cheap and punctures happen too often. I need something reliable, and a bike thats got a bit of all in, cross and roads. I think the Halfords bike has this.

I've seen a few reviews of this bike and they have been on the good side.

Does anyone own one if so I'd like an independent review. Is there another bike around the same price worth looking at. £1200 being the max I can go to.

The bike would be for fun, going out on decent trails, the road, and tracks.

Thanks all.
Last edited by Graham on 27 Aug 2018, 12:17pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title & moved from For Sale section
Colin_P

Re: Whether to buy a Carrera Crossfire or something equivalent

Post by Colin_P »

There is nothing wrong with the Halfords branded bikes. i.e. Carrera / Voodoo / Boardman, good components and better value for money than the branded bikes with the same or similar components on them. Their Apollo range is cheap and best avoided though.

As with anything, there is badge snobbery. For some having the same bike but with a name on it is worth paying the extra for.
Retour64

Post by Retour64 »

Decathlon ? I was there last week in the Nottingham store and they have an electric bike at around £950 called a Rock rider? Looked nice but I was only in there for a tyre (£13).
'The nasty cyclist'
hemo

Post by hemo »

Your best to give any Carrera bike with the Suntour HESC electronics a miss, Suntour being quite new to the market with there system have a chequered reliability issue. Mainly the bikes keep cutting out no matter whether it is on flat terrain or on inclines and can be dangerous. One chap was mid way through a junction and power was lost leaving him trying to negotiate a bike not very user friendly.

Even with the reliable Bafang hub motor the system still presents problems, Haldrauds have no idea what so ever the issue and so does it appear neither have Suntour. Bikes have had new batteries, rear wheels and even controllers I beleive to no avail.

Nothing against the Carrera brand as they sell just the Suntour HESC sysstem which isn't fit for purpose yet.
robgul

Post by robgul »

Have a look at the Roux Big Slick (horrible name!) ebike - excellent reviews and quality components/battery. Available for about £1,100

Rox
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker