JogLe - oldest man to do LeJog is back doing it the other wa

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: JogLe - oldest man to do LeJog is back doing it the other wa

Post by Mick F »

When I was driving the support vehicle for The Race Against Time in 2007, Pete Trodden was 71, and they did the ride in five days! :shock:

LE to Bristol on the first day.
Mick F. Cornwall
Igobybike

Post by Igobybike »

Paulatic wrote:And........Yet another is having a go at it too, meet Lawrence https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-45227627

Oh no, I was hoping that I one day might reach an age where I could be the oldest and still fit enough to do it, but the goal posts keep moving :D

Respect and kudos to all of them!
horizon

Post by horizon »

Does anyone know the parameters (if any) set for this record? Age is obviously the key one but that alone leaves the door open for a very slow, easy ride. Three weeks seems very reasonable but could someone take much longer if they so wished? And must it be unbroken? It seems to me that there should be a number of records here: fastest 80 year old, fastest 85 year old etc etc. Age alone might not be sufficient to define it IMV.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

horizon wrote:Does anyone know the parameters (if any) set for this record? Age is obviously the key one but that alone leaves the door open for a very slow, easy ride. Three weeks seems very reasonable but could someone take much longer if they so wished? And must it be unbroken? It seems to me that there should be a number of records here: fastest 80 year old, fastest 85 year old etc etc. Age alone might not be sufficient to define it IMV.

Currently it must be allowed to have rest days AIUI. Speaking with Peter’s daughter to find out when he is in my patch I learnt he has two rest days built in. Sadly I’m away in Southport when he’s passing me.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I know Peter has reached Clitheroe but has anyone spotted Lawrence on the road?

E2E info
RickH

Post by RickH »

And Donald Wells has just completed LEJOG at 87, unsupported & on a Brompton

https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/87-ye ... hn-ogroats
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Which kind of supports my view that the time limit matters as well - although I think 5 weeks is ideal and would be my way of doing it too.

It's so good - I'm planning ahead thirty years now; these people are extending my horizons.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Toffee

Post by Toffee »

Well done to him.

From experience its flipping hard work :D :D
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Great effort
I'm sure the Brompton site said he was doing it on one of their bikes!
Surely not?
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
FasterFerret

Post by FasterFerret »

RickH wrote:And Donald Wells has just completed LEJOG at 87, unsupported & on a Brompton

https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/87-ye ... hn-ogroats

horizon wrote:Which kind of supports my view that the time limit matters as well - although I think 5 weeks is ideal and would be my way of doing it too.

It's so good - I'm planning ahead thirty years now; these people are extending my horizons.

Sorry if this has been linked before, but I found this attempt whilst looking for something else:

In September 2018, Alex will attempt to become the oldest to cycle from Lands End to John o'Groats
Alex Menarry, at 85, is attempting to become the oldest person to cycle from Lands End to John o’Groats (LEJoG), according to Guinness World Records. The attempt will take place between the 8th and 25th of September 2018, supported by CTC Cycling Holidays, and is expected to take 17 days in the saddle.

https://www.oldesttocyclelejog.com/

Which has an interesting section entitled - The rules for the challenge have been set by Guinness World Records

https://www.oldesttocyclelejog.com/rules/

It is my inclination that for any 'official record' then there need to be some stipulations, otherwise we could all slice this so thin that we have a world record for ourselves (I BTW currently hold the record for the fastest JOGLE completed between the 13th-21st September 2018 - I suspect that I will be able to keep that indefinitely. I also hold a couple of sub-records that relate to body weight, handedness and bike colour, but I think it is better to talk about my 'best' record).

There's an interesting bit about drafting - the science tells us that in crosswinds being shielded from the side is advantageous, but riding side-by-side can actually slow you down in head or no wind conditions (you are effectively creating one moving object that now has a greater frontal area).

According to the 'Guinness Rules' (or at least the version of them on the above website), bike changes are out - so, interestingly, that would put a number of the RRA records off the books.

I say all this in the knowledge that Donald Wells seems a 'reluctant hero' who appears to be motivated by getting out and enjoying his bike rather than specifically aiming for or targetting an 'official record'.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Has there been something in the air in 2018? So many record attempts from fastest oldest and youngest.
I suspect Alex along with young Elliot will carry on despite no record to make.

E2E info
FasterFerret

Post by FasterFerret »

Paulatic wrote:I suspect Alex along with young Elliot will carry on despite no record to make.

From reading this (and 'The Rules') it seems that whilst Donald might be the oldest on record, he might struggle to get it endorsed by Guinness:

"THE CHALLENGE
Alex cycled LEJoG in 2016, and realised during the trip that there probably were not many people of his age that had completed the route. Upon completing the route, he looked up the Guinness World Record for Oldest to Cycle LEJoG and realised he was indeed older than the current record holder. Unfortunately he did not collect the right evidence during his cycle to apply for the record, so he simply said "Well I'll have to do it again!""

The Land's End - John o' Groats Association might consider it a record though.
FasterFerret

Post by FasterFerret »

Seems as though as far as the Guinness record is concerned Peter Langford has called it quits.

It's a bit of a shame if the GPS is to blame for that, we all know that they can be pretty flakey at the best of times.

Peter Langford @bikeride85 Sep 2

Replying to @lejogrecord
Thanks for the shout out- not going for the record now- GPS is too difficult to master! And an 87 year old has just completed on a fold up bike! Amazing! #lejog #ukcyclechat

12:27 PM - 2 Sep 2018

He is very nearly at JOG though. Looks like it will be LEJOG in 26 days.
FasterFerret

Post by FasterFerret »

Looks like Alex Menarry has successfully made it to JOG.

https://www.oldesttocyclelejog.com/blog

It seems from his blog (which is an interesting read in itself) that he is still pursuing the Guinness World Record, which will need the submission of quite a lot of supporting evidence.

So he may not actually be the oldest to have ridden LEJOG, but it looks likely that he will be given the GWR if they accept the 'evidence'.

18 days all in, pretty impressive.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

No sight nor sound of Laurence Brophy?
Seemed a bit of a wild card :D

E2E info