£1 bar tape vs £25 bar tape, is there that much difference?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: £1 bar tape vs £25 bar tape, is there that much difference?

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I like Tesa tape, tends not to unravel either, thinner than old handlebar cloth tape so you can use a few turns wihout bulk.
Ideal for putting on bars under rubber padding for accessories clamps so then don't turn.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

I've just bought some of the £1 bar tape from China. The actual material itself isn't too bad, it's that dense foam stuff. It's thicker at the edges than other tapes and there is no adhesive whatsoever. It's actually quite handy for me as I'm trying out different quill stems/lever positions at the moment so it's good to be able to unwind it all without pulling bits off it. I wouldn't want to use it full time though. There is a real range of price and quality of bar tape, as well as everything else bike related on Aliexpress. I'm sure that you can get stuff that's as good as branded stuff here but much cheaper - it's just finding the good ones. Aliexpress is really good for all sorts of attachments, spacers and mounts etc. For instance stainless pedal washers for 23p a pair etc.
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

nigelnightmare wrote:£24. :lol: :wink:

Bugger, I was just going to write that!

Mike
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

nigelnightmare wrote:£24. :lol: :wink:

2500% :lol:
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
Peter W

Post by Peter W »

When I owned the Boardman alloy Comp, I found it to be fast (faster than the Roubaix replacement) but VERY harsh riding on anything but smooth surfaces. No amount of bar tape, or padded gloves, could overcome that and since the drops were too uncomfortable and never used, I eventually hack sawed them off just below the hoods since they served no purpose. (Weight and aero I replied with a grin and a wink, to the inevitable comments, which at least had a bit of logic.)

But isn't bar tape a bit of a fetish thing? A bike isn't a clothes horse, and I find it hard to believe people who claim a massive difference in feel just because it cost more. Most folk ride much of the time on the hoods, and they do make quite a difference, so does a pound a roll or fifty pound a roll of bar tape make any real difference to comfort, especially for the limited time you have your hands on it, often wearing gloves anyway? Isn't it purely a case of style over function?
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Peter W wrote:
But isn't bar tape a bit of a fetish thing? A bike isn't a clothes horse, and I find it hard to believe people who claim a massive difference in feel just because it cost more. Most folk ride much of the time on the hoods, and they do make quite a difference, so does a pound a roll or fifty pound a roll of bar tape make any real difference to comfort, especially for the limited time you have your hands on it, often wearing gloves anyway? Isn't it purely a case of style over function?

No. Yes you ride, with gloves on the hoods a lot but on rides over a couple of hours you start moving the hands around more. Touring with crosstops I can spend most of the day on the tops of the bars. Thus tape comfort really does matter if you don't want overly sore hands.

Some cheaper tape will have the comfort but not durability and vis a vis so getting the right stuff can be trial and error. I couldn't get on with expensive Lizard skins but others swear by the stuff.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Peter W

Post by Peter W »

Well bar tape doesn't help me any when I have a boil on my bum (temporary, usually :roll: ) and I don't move my hands around a lot on long rides anyway. I find the hood hold position (hands gripping facing forward) much more efficient for pulling on the bars, than flat over the straight taped part, since body position is semi fixed. (OK with flat MTB bars because standing and using body language more most of the time.)
David9694

Post by David9694 »

I generally use Deda, but have gone higher and as I’m still running the higher priced stuff (Tortec, Fabric) after 5 years no regrets.
The £1 stuff seems ok, but lacks a sticky back, so I’d be worried about it spontaneously unravelling. I wondered if running down it with Pritt stick or spray glue might help?
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Peter W wrote:

I think you got it :!:

I recently put my old steel racer back on the road with the fashionable back then 23 wide tyres :)
Its as comfortable as my steel tourer with 35's :?
But I know that from early days of drop bar bikes I rode.
Ha ha ha and of course cloth unpadded tape..........................................
Steel and forks..............

But when you have parted with all that dosh how do you justify buying said stuff in fancy packaging down the café...........
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.