is there a doctor in the house?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
westview

is there a doctor in the house?

Post by westview »

hello folks
i've been commuting by bike - 9 miles each way - for a good few years with relatively few problems, but of late im suffering with what (sniggering aside) could be described as 'chafing' at the top of my thighs, or lower buttocks. i ride one of two bikes depending on mood and wear padded shorts, but by Friday of most weeks i do feel sore regardless of which bike i use. no obvious issues with seams etc with my clothes.
Any advice on prevention or cure?
Paulatic

Re: is there a doctor in the house?

Post by Paulatic »

I’d check
Is your saddle too high
Has the saddle had it’s day?
Are your shorts 20 yrs old?
Although to be honest on that sort of distance I wouldn’t expect to wear Cycling shorts

The application of some Vaseline might help :D
and I’d really check that saddle height again.
Last edited by Paulatic on 31 Aug 2018, 7:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

westview wrote:hello folks
i've been commuting by bike - 9 miles each way - for a good few years with relatively few problems, but of late im suffering with what (sniggering aside) could be described as 'chafing' at the top of my thighs, or lower buttocks. i ride one of two bikes depending on mood and wear padded shorts, but by Friday of most weeks i do feel sore regardless of which bike i use. no obvious issues with seams etc with my clothes.
Any advice on prevention or cure?

The most likely thing that's causing it is the padded shorts, especially if they are a bit tired. It could also be your washing powder, combined with sweat & a little irritation. Lots of washing powders bother me, and it's something that people can develop. You might not notice it otherwise.

What saddle do you use? Perhaps the nose is little to wide for you? Or it has worn & is catching your shorts a little?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Xilter

Post by Xilter »

chamois cream?
My poor poor bottom
westview

Post by westview »

thanks guys
both saddles are in good condition but budget items (one voodoo, one kona) shorts are new-ish. i think saddle height is ok, but i will certainly check this as it sounds like a poss contributing factor.
joking aside, a sore backside can really spoil a bike ride.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

A good saddle is worth every penny
D5D99E51-E255-4DFE-8CB9-BEC5B9B7E53D.jpeg
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

westview wrote:thanks guys
both saddles are in good condition but budget items (one voodoo, one kona) shorts are new-ish. i think saddle height is ok, but i will certainly check this as it sounds like a poss contributing factor.
joking aside, a sore backside can really spoil a bike ride.

Not to imply anything, but make sure the area is kept clean, and change or wash shorts every day. It might be worth trying some very mild washing powder or liquid, like Ecover, or a hypoallergenic one. If you can avoid wearing the same pair of shorts home that you wear to work, even better. If you can't, at least make sure they dry completely during the day.

Also, wash the shorts occasionally on hot to make sure there aren't any lingering germs. They don't last as long that way, but it does help prevent problems of the sort your describe.

If your shorts are newish, do they have a sewn edge or seam or something that might be causing the problem? Did it start after getting new shorts?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

+1for Vorpal's suggestions, scrupulous hygiene and washing of shorts. Check for chafing by seams. Are riding with or without undies?
Check position of saddles. Consider changing washing powder. Consider using anti-chafing cream, or something like sudocrem / antiseptic / antibacterial cream.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Dafydd17

Post by Dafydd17 »

From personal experience, it is possible to get a fungal infection (similar to athlete's foot) in this area, and it can be very difficult to get rid of. Cleanliness obviously helps, but once it's there any chafing can bring it back. I had several medications from the GP, creams and tablets; all seemed to work until I started cycling again, then back to square one! I wasn't able to ride for ages, and what finally sorted it was an anti-fungal powder (similar to talc) from the chemist. I now use this liberally before a ride, and after a shower etc, and so far so good. Best of luck and hope this helps.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

you shouldn't really need cycle shorts any more for such a short distance.

try it without and switch to lycra running shorts. you might bruise a little but not for long.

saddle tilt can also mess you up a bit down there. but seeing as we are down there and this is a virtual doctor surgery - have you had your prostate checked recently? no, just pop up on the couch then, face the wall and think of england. If you can feel something cold then it's just my watch strap as I might have gone too far.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Your tittle says it all. You probably need to see your GP, as this something that has come on recently and you are not new to the cycling game. However look for things that have changed recently, washing powder shower gel etc.
Another problem could be weight gain/ weight loss.
But I would go with the fungal infection all other things being equal.
Also over washing can dry the skin, you could try moisturising

NUKe
NUKe

Post by LollyKat »

I don't know what saddle you have but one with a cut-out will provide some extra ventilation to help keep things cool and dry.
Si

Post by Si »

If it's only happened over this summer I'm wondering if the excessively hot weather has had an influence...making you sweat more?
Retour64

Post by Retour64 »

Have you tried Sudocreme? Yes I know it is smothered on small backsides and it has the potential for making a mess of clothes,but for the owner of a much larger backside, it has alleviated most of my saddle soreness problems. Only recently has it failed me, when I had a mild case of shingles in the offending area, as the pain emanated from the nerves and not damaged skin.

It's cheap enough to give it a go.
'The nasty cyclist'
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

I had this, doing a 200 km audax on the hottest day of the year. I am assuming that the chafing is recent, and did it start with the purchase of your new shorts. Turn them inside out, and look at the stitching pattern. My shorts, that gave me trouble , had an externally viewable stitching, that was like a latticework, all around the edge of the pad, and slightly raised. They used this course pattern of stitching to give elasticity to the join , but after a few hot washes it becomes course, and being raised a tad, will chafe added to a bit of salty sweaty makes for discomfort. Don't do anything drastic, just have a week off cycling if possible, to let sore skin heal, then try with your old shorts, that you seemed to be ok with. Let us know the outcome won't you.