ITV4 TDF Commentators Have Changed!

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
Hobbs1951

Re: ITV4 TDF Commentators Have Changed!

Post by Hobbs1951 »

Interesting thread. I've been following the TdeF for many years (on the radio), before it was first shown (around 10pm) on C4 in the mid 1980s and always enjoyed PhIl and Paul's commentary. Paul's was always insightful as his experience as a pro rider was still - then - recent. Clearly in these early years, even up to the mid-naughties cycling was a very arcane hobby/sport = uncool. The popularity now of cycling and pro cycling means the coverage perhaps slightly offends we veterans !

I think Phil and Paul's relevance - perhaps - began to wane by the mid-1990s, although I must admit I did still enjoy listening to them, Gary Imlach had arrived by the late 1980s.

I'm not quite sure when Boulting and Millar appeared on the commentary scene. Boulting irritates me, he strikes me as a presenter who's merely become a cycling presenter, and he talks much too much. David Millar can be very good, and a large percentage of the time worth hearing. I like Imlach as his comments are often quite ascerbic and a good counterpoint. Boardman is sparse but always thoughtful, intelligent and worth hearing.

I particularly enjoy Chris Boardman's commentary when he rides a part of the stage prior to the race proper.

John.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Hobbs1951 wrote:I'm not quite sure when Boulting and Millar appeared on the commentary scene. Boulting irritates me, he strikes me as a presenter who's merely become a cycling presenter, and he talks much too much. David Millar can be very good, and a large percentage of the time worth hearing. I like Imlach as his comments are often quite ascerbic and a good counterpoint. Boardman is sparse but always thoughtful, intelligent and worth hearing.

According to a piece in today's "Cycleclips", Ned has been on the commenting team for 16 years. Chris Boardman retired from the TdF team at the end of this years tour after around 25 years. I'm not sure about the others. Ned, Gary & David are currently commenting on La Vuelta a Espana, by the look of it entirely studio based, along with another guy, who's name escapes me at the moment, who is doing the rider interviews at the stage starts & finishes.

(IIRC Phil & Pauls continued commentating for other channels but ITV stopped buying in their services in 2016. I think they were still supposed to be in action this year but have no direct knowledge either way).
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
mjr

Post by mjr »

RickH wrote:Ned, Gary & David are currently commenting on La Vuelta a Espana, by the look of it entirely studio based, along with another guy, who's name escapes me at the moment, who is doing the rider interviews at the stage starts & finishes.

Daniel Friebe, Author of Mountain High, Eddy Merckx: The Cannibal & Mountain Higher. One fraction of The Cycling Podcast, who are also podcasting daily from the grand tours plus The Women's Tour of Britain.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

RickH wrote:According to a piece in today's "Cycleclips", Ned has been on the commenting team for 16 years.

Appreciated, I could have looked it up, and he may have been but perhaps on a channel that I've not viewed. I see he has an I am (yuk) web presence he irritates me even more now !

John.
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

Ned used to do the 'magazine' segments of the coverage when Phil and Paul were still the commentators. His role seemed to increase year on year and I always enjoyed his pieces, especially when he did the double act with Chris Boardman in later years. I am not sure he is cut out to be a commentator though. I think he is getting better (or I am more used to him now) but I would still prefer to have Phil and Paul. Not really a fan of Millar at all and for the Vuelta coverage we get a double dose. Both commentary and end of show round up. If Boardman has retired I hope they get someone else in for the Tour next year as double dose Millar is too much to bear!