New rider, new HPV Speedmachine - questions and observations

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Lucasshmucas

Re: New rider, new HPV Speedmachine - questions and observations

Post by Lucasshmucas »

Fossala - that sounds like a sweet build. I like rotor cranks, oval chainrings and short cranks too. I had no idea that Rotor made 155 cranks, but I've just seen the price! Ouch! As it happens, I'd been running 170mm rotor cranks on my SM but I don't think it's doing me any favours. Ive therefore refitted the 155 square taper cranks the bike came with. I was only running the rotors because i lije them. I think the shorter cranks will do me tge world of good.

I took the SM out this morning for my longest ride yet - 42km. There were quite a few moments when I felt good on the bike but rather more when I didn't. By this I mean that I felt aching muscles and shortness of breath. Comfort is not a problem I was very slow uphill but I did like the flats and downhill. I'm sure I'll improve but it feels like a long road to get to where i need to be. Am goibg to stick with it though. .

I felt much more in command of the SM today and I'm really enjoying ridiing it. Recumbent really are wonderful. One thing I've noticed that I wasn't expecting is a much greater appreciation for the gradient of the road. This morning I was shocked to discover that roads I previously thought of as flat are anything but. I felt much more engaged in the journey than on a DF.

One area in which I think I'm losing ground over the df is in maintaining momentum over small rises. On the df I will often get out of the saddle to put in a short burst to get up and over a crest, meaning that I carry speed over to the other side. On the bent I'm not able to do that so am losing speed up and over and then having to regain it on the other side.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Lucasshmucas wrote:One area in which I think I'm losing ground over the df is in maintaining momentum over small rises. On the df I will often get out of the saddle to put in a short burst to get up and over a crest, meaning that I carry speed over to the other side. On the bent I'm not able to do that so am losing speed up and over and then having to regain it on the other side.

You can't get out of the seat... but on the other hand, unlike an upwrong you can brace yourself against it, which means you can get extra grunt when you need it. Only downside is it won't use a different muscle mix, but once you've got your 'bent legs that should be less of an issue.

Just push harder, possibly accompanied by changing up, and the seat will do the rest.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
fossala

Post by fossala »

I got my Rotor cranks from here https://www.velo-perso.com/en/cranks/33 ... 130mm.html I think they cost me around £175, expensive but still cheaper than other options like TA Carminas.
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

pjclinch wrote:
Lucasshmucas wrote:One area in which I think I'm losing ground over the df is in maintaining momentum over small rises. On the df I will often get out of the saddle to put in a short burst to get up and over a crest, meaning that I carry speed over to the other side. On the bent I'm not able to do that so am losing speed up and over and then having to regain it on the other side.

You can't get out of the seat... but on the other hand, unlike an upwrong you can brace yourself against it, which means you can get extra grunt when you need it. Only downside is it won't use a different muscle mix, but once you've got your 'bent legs that should be less of an issue.

Just push harder, possibly accompanied by changing up, and the seat will do the rest.

Pete.

DON'T push too hard or you'll kill your knees.
It's better to change down and spin.
Although you lose some speed when going over rises you gain it (and more) back quicker down the other side. :mrgreen:
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

You're way beyond me in maximum distance, I hope to sneak out for a 10 mile ride soon - most of my riding is around the park. I too have noticed how some normally flat roads have acquired a gradient and every short bump is an impassible mountain. I'm considering doing all my riding in the granny ring for a while.
What has interested me is that the muscle memory for steering and balancing seems to be learnt with time, not really based on number of miles ridden (which is lucky for me I guess).
One new issue I have discovered is luggage - I can't carry a small bag or a saddle bag for tools, so either need my (giant) panniers or I will need to buy a rack-top bag for tools, pump, bottle, etc).
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.