flats or clipless

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
Alan O

Re: flats or clipless

Post by Alan O »

I've always ridden with toeclips and straps, and when I got a 2nd-hand MTB with DMR flat pedals last year I just assumed I'd need some kind of clips - I'd used plastic half clips on a previous MTB years ago. My feet, surely, would pull up from flat pedals and would struggle to stay in position, I thought.

But those notions disappeared as soon as I tried out the flat pedals - no lifting of my feet, and the little pegs on the pedal surfaces stopped them sliding around. They're great.

Now, I can go out on a road bike with clips and straps, or MTB with flat pedals, and I feel just as comfortable with either. I'm 59.
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

plantfit wrote:Have you considered toe clips and straps, just a thought

I’ll second this. I always use toe clips and straps and have done for about 30 years. I hate riding without them, but never managed to get on with clipless: I was the master of the “horizontal track stand”, so gave up. With clips and straps I feel secure but don’t break out in a cold sweat as I approach every set of traffic lights as I did in clipless :lol:
cowasaki

Post by cowasaki »

MikeDee wrote:You might consider half clipless pedals.

ImageImage

I have these pedals on my Trek 7300. The only minor downside is having to spin the pedal as you set off from a junction if the pedal has rotated and the clip is now in the bottom.
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

plantfit wrote:Have you considered toe clips and straps, just a thought

+1
I don’t like the feeling of riding without some security, but never managed to get on with clipless. I find clips and loosish straps ideal, because I can get out of them at the drop of a hat but still feel happy that my foot won’t slip off the pedal.
zenitb

Have you looked at Shimano CLICK'R and SH56 ?

Post by zenitb »

Shimano have a couple of designs aimed at helping riders like you stay with clipless

CLICK'R is a series of SPD pedals with lower release tensions - designed to be easier to get out of - see this link below

http://www.shimano-lifestylegear.com/gl ... d_t421.php

They appear to be re-branding "CLICK'R" to be "Explorer" now. I guess the CLICK'R branding didn't set the world alight given no-one on this forum has mentioned it so far so they think "Explorer" branding might work better. Technically this is is part of Shimano's "T for Trekking" groupset family which generally has some good ideas aimed at touring/trekking cyclists. Note there are matching CLICK'R cycling shoes but really the only enhancement in the shoe is that it has a big trough to help guide you on clicking in. I am guessing that is not a problem for you so you could just use the CLICK'R pedals and your existing SPD shoes.

The other long time favorite for easy release SPD use (I started with them back in 1996) is the SH56 Multi-Release Shimano SPD cleat. Much easier to get out of the pedal than the standard Shimano SH51 SPD cleat - during a crisis emergency stop I have in the past just wrenched my foot directly off the pedal without twisting. If you are at all nervous in SPDs then this is the cleat you should be using - it will cost you about a tenner for a pair of these. A useful article about them here...

https://road.cc/content/feature/182513- ... et-started
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

I like a fair degree of tension myself, at least 1/3 from minimum on Shimmy spud pedals. But them I also like the Bay City Rollers and Turkish Delight.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
hondated

Post by hondated »

Paulatic wrote:
cyclop wrote:I,ve been riding clipless for 20yrs but feel,at 65,it,s time to get flats as,since a house move,my local trails include some rocky sections(dalbeattie,red route) which I wasn,t entirely happy on.My question is will old muscles and tendons adapt to these pedals without injury.Any advice appreciated.

The red route is fine and I wouldn't feel the need to be clipped in to what is mostly forestry track. Only bits I would want to be clipped in for are those black sections but at my age (65too) I reckon they are just for looking at. :lol:
I'm someone whose ridden everything clipped in to Time ATACS. Over a year ago I'd a couple of pairs at 20 yo getting beyond viable repair. So increased my stock of flat DMR pedals. I'd originally used these only for touring to save carrying another pair of shoes. I've these more or less permanently on a cpl of bikes and I would say use flats for about 75% of my riding now. I reckon the muscles and tendons love them as I never hear a complaint from them on flats.

Definitely be walking black sections Paulatic and whilst I have your attention would you know whether the designated cycle routes I am thinking West Highland Way and those that go further are really designed for mountain bikes or could you cycle them on a Tourer.
hondated

Post by hondated »

Vetus Ossa wrote:I am also old and just bought my first mountain ebike.
I have been riding clipless pedals on my road bikes since they became available years ago.
I decided to go with flat pedals on it and honestly don’t regret it. I don’t do that much off roading but do occasionally come across the odd muddy patch and as my bike is very heavy I feel happier knowing I can drop the bike if need be, and not stay attached to the pedals…yes, it has happened.
I may have struck lucky with my pedal/shoe choice as the shoe when on the pedal doesn’t move at all, if I want to change my foot position I have to lift my foot to do so.

VO quick question really what do you think of your Ebike. Are they worth all that money and do they take a lot of the pain away from cycling up hill.
Got to say I am a subscriber to YT EMBN and they certainly look impressive.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

hondated wrote:
Paulatic wrote:
cyclop wrote:]
Definitely be walking black sections Paulatic and whilst I have your attention would you know whether the designated cycle routes I am thinking West Highland Way and those that go further are really designed for mountain bikes or could you cycle them on a Tourer.

Me neighbour rode the WHW a few years ago and reports some of it very rough and definitely MtB.

Do you watch Kerry is Kirsty?
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bbc+kerry+is+kirsty

Their routes are def MtB

Edit to add: an update on my pedal situation. I’m now 100% DMR V8 I honestly don’t see myself returning to clipless pedals again as I no longer see the need in the cycling I do. The freedom of choosing shoes to wear is truly liberating :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
hondated

Post by hondated »

Paulatic wrote:
hondated wrote:
Paulatic wrote:

Me neighbour rode the WHW a few years ago and reports some of it very rough and definitely MtB.

Do you watch Kerry is Kirsty?
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bbc+kerry+is+kirsty

Their routes are def MtB

Edit to add: an update on my pedal situation. I’m now 100% DMR V8 I honestly don’t see myself returning to clipless pedals again as I no longer see the need in the cycling I do. The freedom of choosing shoes to wear is truly liberating :D

Thanks Paulatic some useful information there. I haven't watched Kerry but I will use the link tomorrow. Off to bed now as I want to be out at 5 - 5.30 in morning . Don't go far but I just love that there are so few people about. Particularly along the front by the sea.
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

I don't like the half clipless myself. The poor OP isn't going to know which he presents until he tries them, as wheat we each prefer ourselves isn't likely to translate to someone else.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
hondated

Post by hondated »

Thanks LH LD Fortunately and I don't know how but somehow I have acquired a pair of SPD to flat converters you clip on.
Got another problem now in remembering how I acquired them. :?