Industrial heritage sites that you find interesting!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75

Re: Industrial heritage sites that you find interesting!

Post by pete75 »

Tangled Metal wrote:IIRC there was a gunpowder works in the lakes too.

You're totally wrong about Lincolnshire sausages BTW. The two from what is now called Cumbria are much tastier. If you ever look at meat content too there's a much higher meat content in westmoreland and Cumberland (PGI) sausages than Lincolnshire. Makes for a better sausage. If you disagree then you've obviously only tried the fake ones that aren't made in Cumbria. Woodall's are possibly the best ones and a 175 year old company using an old family recipe from before the company started. Although it's a 500 year old origin. Traditionally uses the Cumberland pig (died out but some claim to have re-bred it but no longer recognised as such by the rare breeds association).

Just as you you can't get a good Cumberland sausage outside of Cumberland your can't get a good black pudding outside of Bury! :wink:

I've tried ones from butchers in Keswick and Cockermouth. They just don't put as much sage and pepper in the Cumberland variety so they taste rather bland to someone used to Lincolnshire farmhouse made sausages. The minimum meat content for both Lincs and Cumberland sausages is 70% . Lincs sausages should be made with fairly coarsely chopped pork which I like better than the ground or minced stuff used in other varieties.
#It all comes down to personal preference I suppose.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I often stay overnight in Sleaford and these Maltings are a real feature. Sadly, no-one seems to be able to do anything with them, so I guess they will ultimately moulder away.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bass_Maltings,_Sleaford
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Bonefishblues wrote:I often stay overnight in Sleaford and these Maltings are a real feature. Sadly, no-one seems to be able to do anything with them, so I guess they will ultimately moulder away.

They were used as chicken raising and processing factory. This caught fire hence the lack of roofs on the three central pavilions. Unless a use is found they will moulder away. The local authority has the power to make owners of listed buildings maintain the fabric but the maltings are owned by wealthy and locally influential people against whom the council is extremely unlikely to take enforcement action.

Some pictures of the interior here https://www.proj3ctm4yh3m.com/urbex/201 ... uary-2014/
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

The Snape Maltings are a success story that came out of the combination of redevelopment and the Aldeburgh Festival.

https://snapemaltings.co.uk/about-us/history/

I've been to a few concerts there and think it is a lovely music venue. I also like some of the shops and galleries. There's some good cycling in the area, as well, and the food in the cafe was good, though a bit dear.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

pete75 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:I often stay overnight in Sleaford and these Maltings are a real feature. Sadly, no-one seems to be able to do anything with them, so I guess they will ultimately moulder away.

They were used as chicken raising and processing factory. This caught fire hence the lack of roofs on the three central pavilions. Unless a use is found they will moulder away. The local authority has the power to make owners of listed buildings maintain the fabric but the maltings are owned by wealthy and locally influential people against whom the council is extremely unlikely to take enforcement action.

Some pictures of the interior here https://www.proj3ctm4yh3m.com/urbex/201 ... uary-2014/

Thanks, those are interesting photos. It's a great sadness that the vision's not currently there to develop what could be a wonderful asset to the area.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bonefishblues wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Thanks, those are interesting photos. It's a great sadness that the vision's not currently there to develop what could be a wonderful asset to the area.

Google "Prora" in Germany to see how it could be done. Took many years mind, much of it was derelict when I stayed there 1994
Sleaford has no beach either :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

It's a very nice place in its own right, and already has some interesting things there like this:
http://nccd.org.uk/
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

pete75 wrote:

You're totally wrong about Lincolnshire sausages BTW. The two from what is now called Cumbria are much tastier. If you ever look at meat content too there's a much higher meat content in westmoreland and Cumberland (PGI) sausages than Lincolnshire. Makes for a better sausage. If you disagree then you've obviously only tried the fake ones that aren't made in Cumbria. Woodall's are possibly the best ones and a 175 year old company using an old family recipe from before the company started. Although it's a 500 year old origin. Traditionally uses the Cumberland pig (died out but some claim to have re-bred it but no longer recognised as such by the rare breeds association).

Just as you you can't get a good Cumberland sausage outside of Cumberland your can't get a good black pudding outside of Bury! :wink:

I've tried ones from butchers in Keswick and Cockermouth. They just don't put as much sage and pepper in the Cumberland variety so they taste rather bland to someone used to Lincolnshire farmhouse made sausages. The minimum meat content for both Lincs and Cumberland sausages is 70% . Lincs sausages should be made with fairly coarsely chopped pork which I like better than the ground or minced stuff used in other varieties.

Cumberland sausages are supposed to be course cut meat too. It has herbs and spices in it too which in the pgi protected status Cumberland sausages I've tried gives loads of flavour. Get yourself to booths supermarkets to get authentic sausages or to Waberthwaite for Woodall's. BTW iirc the Cumberland sausages I buy have something like +90% meat content. All personal preferences but the Cumberland sausages I've eaten had me flavour than the Lincolnshire ones I've eaten. I guess the nearer the region of origin the better the food.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Sausage thread :wink:

There is or was a big explosives plant at Penrhyndeudrath, not sure if it is wise to produce explosives near homes

Alfred Nobel invented dynamite, became very rich, it was used for bad purposes as well as good plusminus
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Tangled Metal wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Cumberland sausages are supposed to be course cut meat too. It has herbs and spices in it too which in the pgi protected status Cumberland sausages I've tried gives loads of flavour. Get yourself to booths supermarkets to get authentic sausages or to Waberthwaite for Woodall's. BTW iirc the Cumberland sausages I buy have something like +90% meat content. All personal preferences but the Cumberland sausages I've eaten had me flavour than the Lincolnshire ones I've eaten. I guess the nearer the region of origin the better the food.

Supermarket? We get ours from friends who make them on the farm with meat from pigs raised there. They also do brilliant stuffed chine and acelet though I suspect people from outside the county are not familiar with either of those.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Sausage thread :wink:

There is or was a big explosives plant at Penrhyndeudrath, not sure if it is wise to produce explosives near homes

Alfred Nobel invented dynamite, became very rich, it was used for bad purposes as well as good plusminus

Being mostly vegetarian, I'm not especially interested in a sausage thread. I'd rather read about industrial sites.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Vorpal wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Sausage thread :wink:

Being mostly vegetarian, I'm not especially interested in a sausage thread. I'd rather read about industrial sites.

Wrong thread but here is one for you

Ole Bull was a very popular Norwegian musician, just read about his fantasy villa on an island near Bergen, he had 13 km paths laid on the island and was involved in the establishment of the Norwegian nation, doubtless many streets carry his name
He was a showman, did 300 concerts a year in the US, paid young girls to pretend to faint from emotion, then he revived them with a magic solution from a bottle :wink:

Have you been there? Does everyone in Norge know him?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Wrong thread but here is one for you

Ole Bull was a very popular Norwegian musician, just read about his fantasy villa on an island near Bergen, he had 13 km paths laid on the island and was involved in the establishment of the Norwegian nation, doubtless many streets carry his name
He was a showman, did 300 concerts a year in the US, paid young girls to pretend to faint from emotion, then he revived them with a magic solution from a bottle :wink:

I think most people have heard of him. I havne't visited his island, but there is a street named after him near me. Steet in Norwegian is 'gate' (pronounced gah-teh), so it looks kind of funny to an English speaker:
Ole Bulls gate
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Vorpal wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Wrong thread but here is one for you

I think most people have heard of him. I havne't visited his island, but there is a street named after him near me. Steet in Norwegian is 'gate' (pronounced gah-teh), so it looks kind of funny to an English speaker:
Ole Bulls gate

"Gate" is common in Yorkshire Street names
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Vorpal wrote:I think most people have heard of him. I havne't visited his island, but there is a street named after him near me. Steet in Norwegian is 'gate' (pronounced gah-teh), so it looks kind of funny to an English speaker:
Ole Bulls gate

"Gate" is common in Yorkshire Street names

Damn Vikings :wink: