Lejog

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
crazydave789

Lejog

Post by crazydave789 »

Am I the only one who thinks Lejog (or finish points nearby) would make a decent cycle race?
Cyril Haearn

Re: Lejog

Post by Cyril Haearn »

No!
Am I the only one who thinks mixed tandem racing should be encouraged?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

I do think stage races that are 'Tours' should actually be that, stage one A to B, stage two B to C and so on. The tour of Britain seems quite dotted about the place. I think even the Tour de Yorkshire has unconnected stages, doesn't seem any reason the route there can't be consecutive.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The tragedy of drive-cycling again

The TdF for example has to join up the towns that pay to take part, these are not ideally distributed on the map, sometimes the riders even fly between stage towns, maybe they fly or drive more km than they cycle

Does seem a bit perverse, the milk racers rode up Whinlatter, then drove to Barrow to cycle back to Whinlatter :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

Postboxer wrote:I do think stage races that are 'Tours' should actually be that, stage one A to B, stage two B to C and so on. The tour of Britain seems quite dotted about the place. I think even the Tour de Yorkshire has unconnected stages, doesn't seem any reason the route there can't be consecutive.

that's what I'm getting at, the TDF and ToB are so higgledy piggledy they are just a series of races rather than one big one IMO.

it's almost impossible to ride the tour routes now, as many used to do for fun.
1982john

Post by 1982john »

I could see it being done as something like the transcontinental race for ultra bike packing.
althebike

Post by althebike »

Cyril Haearn,
I stopped at that refreshment place you recommended, near the Buddhist place. There was a young couple there on a tandem. We shared some time before I went on my way. 20 minutes later, I saw then pass me from the direction I was heading. I wanted to ask how they managed to do that, what route did they take, but woosh they were gone. If mixed tandem racing does a lejog I would be left in the starting blocks. :lol:
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

althebike wrote:Cyril Haearn,
I stopped at that refreshment place you recommended, near the Buddhist place. There was a young couple there on a tandem. We shared some time before I went on my way. 20 minutes later, I saw then pass me from the direction I was heading. I wanted to ask how they managed to do that, what route did they take, but woosh they were gone. If mixed tandem racing does a lejog I would be left in the starting blocks. :lol:

Been wracking my brain on this all morning :roll:

Only explanation I can come up with is the following : You were at Eskdalemuir Community Hub? You left for Langholm on the B709 ? Assuming your 20 minutes was a tad longer the tandem couple went via the White Esk and Black Esk and joined the B709. They followed 2 rivers flowing down hill while you went over a hill. :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
althebike

Post by althebike »

You got it, I remember them discussing their route at the community hub, yes I was going to Langholm on b709, stopping at Gretna.sorry if I made your head hurt. :lol:
RickH

Post by RickH »

There's mention of a possible LEJOG Audax in July/August 2020 in the LEJOG board (link).
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Think the Bryson would be better :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!