Have my legs got longer?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
David9694

Have my legs got longer?

Post by David9694 »

It’s been a great summer of cycling for me. But I’ve found myself raising all my saddles by at least an inch recently, finding myself dissatisfied with my position. This kind of dawns on you, unless you ride a sportive and someone points it out. I got a saddle height (relative to the pedal with the crank parallel to the seat tube) a couple of years ago in a bike fit when I’d been having problems.

Really good cyclists are often quite “leggy” (e.g. Wiggo) in appearance and I’d always assumed they were born that way. Are there any other changes I can expect?
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Have my legs got longer?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Have you got significantly fitter, developed more muscle? It is worth experimenting with different positions, reach, bars &c
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

There a 'many different' saddle heights in the peleton - When I look at Froome, I often think his saddle looks too low - but then who am I to judge, as he's a lot quicker than I :oops: . I believe a certain Mr Merckx would often more his saddle (even during a race). Although a 'bike fit' may give an 'ideal position' I think it's fair to say there are many criteria, such as what type of riding are you doing eg long or short distance? The ideal positin to get maximum power if on the velodrome sprinting 400m may be very different to the position you would want for a 12hr time trial. What feels 'right' probably is, with the proviso that it's prudent to only make small changes (maybe only 3mm) at a time. I question whether 'bike fits' achieve any more than a little research and experimentation (coupled with the 'eye' of an experienced clubmate or 2) can.
David9694

Post by David9694 »

I just do half-day rides in my local country lanes. The bike fit guy seemed to be saying that the most powerful saddle height is with cranks at 7 o’clock/ 1 o’clock, the knee of the lower foot should be bent - just. Leg at full stretch is too high, too much bend and your power is less efficient. My ordinary trousers fit the same, so - having advanced my cycling fitness this year - I’m guessing this has to do with leg muscles stretching and flexing.

What hasn’t changed is I don’t go on the drops other than for the occasional downhill. Plus I don’t understand how brifters work to change gear from that position (braking torque much improved, of course.)
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
What problems were you having.............knee pain...........

Why are you recently raising saddle?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Even bike fitters will have their own personal views on how to set up a bike. Thats an interesting take on lining up the saddle height because I was taught; pedal at 6o'clock, heel on pedal and knee should be slightly bent, to my mind the 7/1 slight bent approach puts your leg/knee at full stretch when at 6.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

fastpedaller wrote:There a 'many different' saddle heights in the peleton - When I look at Froome, I often think his saddle looks too low - but then who am I to judge, as he's a lot quicker than I :oops: . I believe a certain Mr Merckx would often more his saddle (even during a race). Although a 'bike fit' may give an 'ideal position' I think it's fair to say there are many criteria, such as what type of riding are you doing eg long or short distance? The ideal positin to get maximum power if on the velodrome sprinting 400m may be very different to the position you would want for a 12hr time trial. What feels 'right' probably is, with the proviso that it's prudent to only make small changes (maybe only 3mm) at a time. I question whether 'bike fits' achieve any more than a little research and experimentation (coupled with the 'eye' of an experienced clubmate or 2) can.

That's good advice.
There was a previous thread about this. I read an article some years ago where a chap went to three different bike fitters.
None of them agreed - and there was a difference of 1" in the recommended saddle height.
As said above - if you are going to change position do it in small increments and allow yourself time for the new position to become familiar enough to decide if it feels right.
JamesE

Post by JamesE »

If you've been cycling much more than normal: have you lost weight? A few kilos can easily add up to a centimetre or so of padding lost from your backside, which means raising the saddle to compensate.
David9694

Post by David9694 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
What problems were you having.............knee pain...........

Why are you recently raising saddle?

In 2016, it was pain developing in my sides when riding. I’d been working too hard in the preceding months, literally not moving a muscle for long periods at work, so things were siezing-up. I had the bike fit to see if there was anything I was doing wrong in my set-up. I think the moral of the story was continuing to do gym work to strengthen your core.

It just seems strange now that l’m inching-up my saddles...
David9694

Post by David9694 »

JamesE wrote:If you've been cycling much more than normal: have you lost weight? A few kilos can easily add up to a centimetre or so of padding lost from your backside, which means raising the saddle to compensate.

Yes.

That’s an interesting point thanks, and would explain why my long trousers haven’t needed adjustment - I wonder if the ends ride up quite so much when I sit down..?
David9694

Post by David9694 »

eileithyia wrote:Even bike fitters will have their own personal views on how to set up a bike. Thats an interesting take on lining up the saddle height because I was taught; pedal at 6o'clock, heel on pedal and knee should be slightly bent, to my mind the 7/1 slight bent approach puts your leg/knee at full stretch when at 6.

I’d heard the same thing, but he was adamant. I think, but I can’t quite remember his argument (or rather the fitting system that shop used) was that parallel to the tube was the longest extent from the saddle, not 6 o’clock.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Are the bike fitting methods used by GT public knowledge?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

I too, very recently came to the conclusion my saddle was too low, as I was lacking power up hill whilst seated, and my legs ached. So I raised it 4mm+/-, and what a difference, over a 50km ride my avg speed shot up!! from 19.5 to 22 kmh. I know its not fast, but I suppose i was riding faster because I was more efficient. Any way, the mind is a powerful weapon, and next ride, it felt all wrong, felt too stretched, bars too low, so I raised bars by 5mm spacer, then that was better. Next ride it felt wrong, too cramped, so I lowered the bars again, 5mm, and I've left it a few days, then went out yesterday, and all was well. So My saddle ended up 4mm higher and bars left where they were. I do tend to have the saddle further back , and I guess this also affects the height /leg extension. When I look at photos from 10 years ag, my saddle was MUCH higher,and further forward, with a longer , raised stem. I guess its evolution .
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
To me, an inch is two miles, 20 mm is a mile :)
Yes, 5mm can do that!

Little confused over the 6 O'clock 7 O'clock..................when you sit on bike and straighten leg it would be nearer 7 than 6 O'clock?
So I always measure with crank in line with seat tube and up the seat tube to top of saddle.

I.M.O. most riders have the saddle a tad or too low.

Different styles......as different as walking styles.

Ergometer is the real truth.

If you are an age then weak core can be substituted by "Facet Impingement".......collapsing spine, which I have.
Backs can be complex so seek advise.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

Maybe you are cycling more toe down? Changed shoes or pedals?