Have my legs got longer?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
JamesE

Re: Have my legs got longer?

Post by JamesE »

David9694 wrote:Yes.

That’s an interesting point thanks, and would explain why my long trousers haven’t needed adjustment - I wonder if the ends ride up quite so much when I sit down..?

I'd be interested to hear other experiences of this, as it's not something I've seen discussed. (And a quick Google found a couple of threads elseweb in which people were claiming that weight loss shouldn't affect bike fit at all). But I lost three stone earlier this year, and although I can't make a direct comparison because I got a new bike and started using different pedals over the course of that weight loss, I think my saddle finished more than an inch higher than when I started.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

.... Changed shoes or pedals?

Unless you are a teenager, I think it's unlikely that your legs have grown an inch during the Summer. If it was just one bike, I'd be wondering about a slipping saddle. Some cleat/ pedal systems make a big difference, although again, there seem to be several bikes involved. I know nothing about professional bike fitters but it's hard to see it as an exact science. Perhaps it's a case that you felt obliged to follow the advice of an expert but now, with increasing experience and the knowledge of what's best for you, you have felt able to suit yourself.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

David9694 wrote:
In 2016, it was pain developing in my sides when riding. I’d been working too hard in the preceding months, literally not moving a muscle for long periods at work, so things were siezing-up. I had the bike fit to see if there was anything I was doing wrong in my set-up. I think the moral of the story was continuing to do gym work to strengthen your core.

It just seems strange now that l’m inching-up my saddles...

Sides of what?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Everything you need to know about saddle height adjustment is here...https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bikefit/2011/05/addendum-to-seat-height-how-hard-can-it-be-2/...or in the original post here https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bikefit/2011/02/seat-height-how-hard-can-it-be/
Have your legs grown? No, unless you have a vanishingly rare medical condition.
Do either increasing fitness or weight loss increase your effective leg length? No.
An inch is a MASSIVE change to your saddle height. Most "bike fitters" are influenced by the current fashion for having the saddle too high; I therefore expect your saddle is currently much, much too high, which is why I linked Steve Hogg's "addendum" article first: thats the one which demonstrates how to spot a saddle thats too high. (in this case, due to a "professional" bike fit)
I set my saddle (much) lower than is dictated by current fashion, so that I can pedal smoothly at high cadence and on rough tracks. If I want to get a bit more knee extension, I can simply slide back on the saddle....there is more in my bike-fitting article linked below.
If you want opinions on your saddle height, post some videos like on Steve Hogg's website.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

May one ask how old the OP is?

I stopped growing taller at about 15, is that normal?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Cyril Haearn wrote:May one ask how old the OP is?

I remember being full height at about 13, puny too :lol:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
As said you don't grow that much.

But losing weight might have made you more energetic along with different shoes.
If you use road shoes instead of trainers then saddle will hike up as road shoes are shaped and trainers do not have the same support from your arch collapsing.
As said shorter effective virtual leg length is better.......easier for higher cadence...muscle dynamics probably.
If you have improved fitness and thus more flexibility then your foot action is probably also better as in looser through suppleness.
All of this could explain the 1 ".
Normally an inch is a long way but I find I am critical on saddle height the more I push myself.
At relaxed paces you are more tolerant on bike fit.
Different shoes pedals and probably foot to pedal back & forth will adjust the fit and comfort thus saddle height.
Follow the posted Hogg site for fit and you won't go far wrong.
Particularly foot to pedal for and aft.............
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

I am guessing that a couple of things have happened for the OP. Firstly As he says, he has a good summer cycling his confidence has grown, he is going faster which when you are pushing which will show up that his saddle was too low before. Secondly he could have firmed up his legs and lost a bit of padding off the rear
NUKe

Post by Mick F »

I have the records to prove it.
I was 5ft 9ins when I joined the RN in Sept 1969 a few weeks before my 17th birthday.

By the time I was in my early 20s, I was 5ft 10ins, and even now at a ripe "middle-age" I'm still 5ft 10ins ............ providing I stand up straight! :oops:
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Mick F wrote:

I have the records to prove it.
I was 5ft 9ins when I joined the RN in Sept 1969 a few weeks before my 17th birthday.

By the time I was in my early 20s, I was 5ft 10ins, and even now at a ripe "middle-age" I'm still 5ft 10ins ............ providing I stand up straight! :oops:

One is taller in the morning because the vertebrae space out a bit while sleeping :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'm also lighter in the morning too.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

I will be 76 next month and have lost muscle mass including my gluteus maximus aka my buttock.

I found myself moving right to the back of my saddle to maintain my pedalling power and have raised my saddle about 10mm or just less than half an inch in the old money.

Know I know what was causing it!

Mike