Halfords withdraw Cuk discount on sale items

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Antbrewer

Re: Halfords withdraw Cuk discount on sale items

Post by Antbrewer »

My experience with Halfords is quite interesting. I am also not sure whether I should actually post this here as you will see why when I explain.

Has anyone bought an item from the shop with the CTC discount only to have reason to return it for a cash or card refund???????
Well I have on a number of occasions for good genuine reasons. ( my wife would tell you that one of my hobbies is ''taking things back'' anyway notably to Marks and Spencers.) However the first time this happened in Halfords I spent some time explaining to the lovely sales assistant that I had paid less 10 % as the receipt showed. BUT their computer system at the till will not allow a refund of the exact amount paid to be made. It will only refund the full amount. So I made 10% . This has happened now 3 or 4 times and I don't bother trying to explain and be honest anymore as the last couple of times the assistants were only young lads who looked about 12 yrs old and could not comprehend what I was talking about.
It often confuses them at the till when purchasing as they have to find the bar code sheet and scan the CTC code and then deliberate what 10% might be of say £10.00????

Sadly this discount doesn't extend to bikes as a nice £1000.00 model would have to go back in a week as it might be the wrong colour?

Such is life!
Anthony ( The 10% kid)
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

From Cycle magazine.
IMG_20180927_124324035.jpg
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

So if you are not online, then you are stuffed. You won't be able to get the discount code. At present, all members get the discount. I think BC are bringing in something similar where membership alone is not enough and a discount code is needed.
Last edited by TrevA on 27 Sep 2018, 9:28pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
gaz

Post by gaz »

TrevA wrote:So if you are not online, then you are stuffed.

Whilst the option is not mentioned in the article pictured above, I would be very surprised if you could not phone national office and request the code.
Si

Post by Si »

I think BC are bringing in something similar where membership alone is not enough and a discount code is needed.

Yes - you have to log into the BC website and get the code to take with you - the code changes every month.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

According to CUK webpage you wil, either need a printout of the voucher code or to show it on your phone.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/member-benefits/halfords

So if you are not online you can't get the discount, unless HQ are going to send you a printout of the voucher code, which would be unlikely.
Last edited by TrevA on 28 Sep 2018, 7:05pm, edited 1 time in total.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

I've never bothered to use my CTC discount, honestly it's not something I really think about when I've made a purchase, I might well have been able to save a few quid over the years but really not that much.
I can get a big saving using various cashback or discounted retail vouchers such as 'zeek'.
Currently you can buy halfords vouchers (use in store or online) with an 8% discount, you can use that on any item even if discounted to 99% off, so unless you are buying a full price item it's not worth bothering with the CUK discount IMHO.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I've saved hundreds of pounds using my CTC discount, mostly at Evans but latterly at Halfords. My wife got £100 off her bike. It was previously simple - just flash your card and you get it. A bit more complex now, but still worth it.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

TrevA wrote:According to CUK webpage you wil, either need a printout of the voucher code or to show it on your phone.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/member-benefits/halfords

So if you are not online you can't get the discount

There are such things as libraries where you can use the internet for free, I'm sure that those who fall into a) do not have access to internet at home or through a relative/friend or are unable to ask a relative/friendand to access, and/or b) wanting to buy a full priced item from Halfords, are an extremely small number of people.
But if you have a figure as to how many these people number we can get HO to contact them and maybe sort something out, shouldn't take more than 5 minutes or ringing round ...well if they even have a phone.
busb

Post by busb »

I find most shops that give the discount such as Evans & Cycle Republic don't on already discounted goods that accounts for most items or certainly many. I'm yet to receive any on labour charges. The only LBS that flatly refused any discount on a fully priced item was 700 in Windsor (Garmin Edge 25). Price matching is often far more cost-effective for customers.
Added:
When I’ve ordered stuff from Evans online for collection, I’ve had to be refunded then the discount price applied!
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Good job I went to Halfords on Sunday for my new Garmin then, flashed my 6yr old British Cycling card and got £21 off! The chappie did say about having to use a voucher next time I wanted any discount!! :lol:
gaz

Post by gaz »

Having looked at the voucher code today it says that 10% discount applies to all national promotions (i.e. price reductions to the item in all stores) but not to individual store promotions (e.g. bargain clearance buckets).