EV15 in late October. Sensible?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Stangroom

EV15 in late October. Sensible?

Post by Stangroom »

Think of doing part of the EV15 in late October was wondering if anyone else has done it at this time of year? Are campsites still open? Also which is the best part to do if you only have a week?
Cyril Haearn

Re: EV15 in late October. Sensible?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Weather should be fine, much better than summer :wink:
Just check when winter time starts
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
meic

Post by meic »

A lot of the French municipal campsites will not be open.
If you are on a low budget this means you can camp for free more often than not but without toilets or showers available on the site.
Yma o Hyd
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I am very much a 'look at the climate first' tourer.

The weather will depend on which bit you choose to cycle, but I would advise you do a few historical searches on the weather for where you are planning to go. Personally, I think late Oct is a bit late, plus you will be getting fairly short days. Of course this may be how you like your riding.

I just had a look at Mulhouse, which is out of the mountains, but still landlocked (and also 'cos I cycled through it earlier this year). I took Oct and Nov data as you will between the two.

Oct Max temp 14.8 Nov 8.5
Oct Min temp 6.2 Nov 2
Oct Av temp 10.5 Nov 5.2

Oct Rain 43mm Nov 61mm
Oct Raindays 9 Nov 19

Edit Sunrise/set (albeit London):
Sept 8th 06:24 19:31 (last Friday)
Oct 27th 07:45 17:43

Incidentally, the bit I cycled, from Basel to Mulhouse wasn't very exciting. Glad to head off over the Vosges Mountains.
JackRabbitSlims

Post by JackRabbitSlims »

Of the EV15, I rode from Bregenz in Austria up to Bonn in Germany this past July.

Riding along Lake Constance is lovely and I chose to ride the French side of the Rhine.....Strasbourg is a wonderful destination and I would recommend at least a day there if you can?
Unfortunately for me, my ride up the EV15 was in the middle of the European heatwave and also, I think all of Europe was on Holiday :)
The riding is very easy / flat and at times quite boring (for me).
I was also turned away from 3 campgrounds on this trip as they were full - first time thats ever happened to me......I doubt you'll have that problem in late October.

If you have good gear to cover the temperature range and don't mind the shorter days - go for it!
ossie

Post by ossie »

I did EV15 in September a few years back.

The campsites in Holland were very wet (impossible to pitch a tent ), the campsites in Germany were closed or deserted and the campsites in France were mostly shut or closing..(these were along EV15..)

I wouldn't entertain October if you were camping unless you did some thorough research in relation to sites that were open and planned accordingly or were staying in accommodation (which appeared cheap and plentiful.)

For a week probably Hook down to Bingen if you are okay with distance. You will see the industry and the scenic section, after Bingen it gets rural and a bit 'routine'.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The Rhein Gorge Mainz - Bonn is great, lots of YHs, many should be open, check first
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
m-gineering

Post by m-gineering »

ossie wrote:I did EV15 in September a few years back.

The campsites in Holland were very wet (impossible to pitch a tent ), the campsites in Germany were closed or deserted and the campsites in France were mostly shut or closing..(these were along EV15..)

If you are following a river, the campsite will be situated on that useless bit of land jammed in between the river and the railway lines, behind the sewer treatment plant, and it will flood in winter ;)
Marten

Touring advice for NL: www.m-gineering.nl/touringg.htm
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Just my open opinion but I’d hotel or b&b it in that season. Shorter days, lower temps and more rain but that’s usually fine if you have a warm bed to head to.