Cleats on plane

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bg

Cleats on plane

Post by bg »

Hi
Has anyone had trouble with flying wearing shoes with cleats
gaz

Re: Cleats on plane

Post by gaz »

I do not know whether they will be allowed on the plane, although I would struggle to understand what the issue would be if they were refused.

Do not try to wear them through the security scanner, in the tray with your hand luggage for x-ray.
whoof

Post by whoof »

For at twice a year for at least the past fifteen years I've either worn SPD shoes with cleats whilst flying or carried cycling shoes with Speedplay cleats in my handluggage. The only thing I've had to do is take off the SPD shoes and put them through the scanner with my watch, wallet etc.
pal

Post by pal »

I've never had any problems (in airports in the UK, Europe and North America); but I agree that it's best to take them off at the security check.
1982john

Post by 1982john »

It's been a couple of years since I've flown but I thought you had to take your shoes of at the airport. Or do you mean completely take of the cleats from the shoes
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I don't normally take my shoes off - they are lightweight trainers with no metal so don't set off any alarms. Sometimes they insist, so I take them off. I also take care not to have any metal eg belt buckles, small change, keys, so as to ease my way.

However with cleats, I imagine other posters (wisely) say take them off and put them through the conveyor belt scanner to avoid setting off the alarm on the walk through scanner which may raise the interest of the security guy.

Take off, put in tray with all other stuff and you should be OK - they'll be more interested in your laptop, liquids, etc. After all, it's not unusual for shoes to have metal bits, eg the metal heel protectors, toe caps, (weaponised?) stiletto heel tips, etc.
hamster

Post by hamster »

1982john wrote:It's been a couple of years since I've flown but I thought you had to take your shoes of at the airport. Or do you mean completely take of the cleats from the shoes

It's only the US that insists. In the EU they normally ask for boots to be taken off.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Currently sitting in Palma airport waiting for a flight home. Cycling shoes with metal Speedplay pedals in my hand luggage no problems at security other than Mrs Whoof having her bag drugs wiped. The result according to the operative was 'perfect'.
bg

Post by bg »

Hi

Thank you for your replies and advice.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Metal bits on shoes are fairly common. They don't have to be cycling shoes with cleats.

Often ladies high heels have metal pads on the heel tip, but they aren't disallowed.
Mick F. Cornwall