Parish Churches

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Cyril Haearn

Re: Parish Churches

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I would like to visit Cornwall but I am a bit scared of not being able to leave :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I would like to visit Cornwall but I am a bit scared of not being able to leave :?

I have been to Cornwall many times, and am probably going back for a week or so in October / November

There is a secret to escaping:

Stick one of these one your bumper / mudguard and they think that you are local and let you out

(PS the moderators may soon be banning my posts as "Kernowist"
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cunobelin wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:I would like to visit Cornwall but I am a bit scared of not being able to leave :?

I have been to Cornwall many times, and am probably going back for a week or so in October / November

Stick one of these one your bumper / mudguard and they think that you are local and let you out

My car is red, I plan to paint a huge Ddraig Goch on the bonnet. Not sure how that would go down in the south west corner of England :wink:
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:

My car is red, I plan to paint a huge Ddraig Goch on the bonnet. Not sure how that would go down in the south west corner of England :wink:

Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

I'm in the Tamar Valley next week visiting old friends in their remote house, however today friends and I are cycling eastward and visiting the Betjeman church of St Margaret's at Huttoft (Lincolnshire).

Betjeman church you ask (or the curious amongst you will) ? This church was the inspiration for JBs second Lincolshire Poem A Lincolnshire Church.

If you know Betjeman you'll know the poem.

John.

360px-Parish_Church_of_St._Margaret,_Huttoft_-_geograph.org.uk_-_173284.jpg
360px-Parish_Church_of_St._Margaret,_Huttoft_-_geograph.org.uk_-_173284.jpg (26.08 KiB) Viewed 2851 times
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Hobbs1951 wrote:I'm in the Tamar Valley next week visiting old friends in their remote house, however today friends and I are cycling eastward and visiting the Betjeman church of St Margaret's at Huttoft (Lincolnshire).

Betjeman church you ask (or the curious amongst you will) ? This church was the inspiration for JBs second Lincolshire Poem A Lincolnshire Church.

John.

St.Margaret,Huttoft

I have linked previously. One of my reference books is by Betjeman (Updated by Richard Surman)

Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Plus One, just went to my poetry shelf, found a copy of Betjemans collected poems (1962)*, the poem mentioned is included

He was obviously influenced by Housman

My favourite is the railway poem, Ryme Intrinseca and Melbury Bubb

Anyone got their Pevsner to hand?

* plusminus, he wrote more poems later so the collection is incomplete
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

Cunobelin wrote:
Hobbs1951 wrote:I'm in the Tamar Valley next week visiting old friends in their remote house, however today friends and I are cycling eastward and visiting the Betjeman church of St Margaret's at Huttoft (Lincolnshire).

John.

St.Margaret,Huttoft

I have linked previously. One of my reference books is by Betjeman (Updated by Richard Surman)

Strictly speaking not by John Betjeman, a refreshed version. I have the original (pub Collins, 1958) guide edited by Betjeman.

John.
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Plus One, just went to my poetry shelf, found a copy of Betjemans collected poems (1962)*, the poem mentioned is included

The Collected was first published in 1958, and like most collections is updated in later editions, and what you refer to is JBs poem Dorset (railway poem ?), I'm interested you think JB influenced by Houseman !?

John.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Hobbs1951 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Plus One, just went to my poetry shelf, found a copy of Betjemans collected poems (1962)*, the poem mentioned is included

The Collected was first published in 1958, and like most collections is updated in later editions, and what you refer to is JBs poem Dorset (railway poem ?), I'm interested you think JB influenced by Houseman !?

John.

Yes I do, B wrote a poem "A Shropshire Lad" (p 53) and both write about the landscape and the past
During and after ww1 Housman was very popular (From Clee to Heaven the Beacon burns..), he must have influenced many people
I know H better than B, L* is my favourite
Alternative facts welcome

*Larkin
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Hobbs1951 wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:

John.

St.Margaret,Huttoft

Strictly speaking not by John Betjeman, a refreshed version. I have the original (pub Collins, 1958) guide edited by Betjeman.

John.

In my defence, I did state it was revised and by who. I bought this as it had a Kindle version and (a now defunct) App so that wherever I was with spare time, I could research locally

I prefer older books though, my Pevsner (Cornwall)l is second edition, the Muirhead guides are 1926, the Penguin guides are 1939 and my original Betjeman "In praise of Churches" is 1996 and I am still looking for an early version of the Collins Guide.
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Hobbs1951 wrote:

John.

Yes I do, B wrote a poem "A Shropshire Lad" (p 53) and both write about the landscape and the past
During and after ww1 Housman was very popular (From Clee to Heaven the Beacon burns..), he must have influenced many people
I know H better than B, L* is my favourite
Alternative facts welcome

*Larkin

I think JB more influenced by Hardy than Housman. Yes Housman was popular then, hardly read these days: I did my Master's on Larkin (when he was little known).

John.
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

Cunobelin wrote:In my defence, I did state it was revised and by who. I bought this as it had a Kindle version and (a now defunct) App so that wherever I was with spare time, I could research locally

I prefer older books though, my Pevsner (Cornwall)l is second edition, the Muirhead guides are 1926, the Penguin guides are 1939 and my original Betjeman "In praise of Churches" is 1996 and I am still looking for an early version of the Collins Guide.

I have most of JBs work in First Edition (and reading copies), and the Shell Guides - at least the counties that interest me !

John.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Hobbs1951 wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:In my defence, I did state it was revised and by who. I bought this as it had a Kindle version and (a now defunct) App so that wherever I was with spare time, I could research locally

I have most of JBs work in First Edition (and reading copies), and the Shell Guides - at least the counties that interest me !

John.

Plusminus, the shell guides helped motorists discover the countryside :?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Plus One for Sir John, enjoyed "The Town Clerk's Views" ("he was, like all Town Clerks, from north of Trent"), reminds me of Larkin, Concrete & Tyres

Poetry is often funny and can say such a lot in a few words

What a shame we were forced to do it at school, put me off for decades :wink: