Strongest set of touring wheels.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
hondated

Strongest set of touring wheels.

Post by hondated »

Sorry about this everyone but I have yet another question. This time on wheels.
Went out this morning on my mountain bike on one of my usual road routes. Now I recognise I really need to lose some weight and a need to get fitter but just like previous experiences of riding my mountain bike on the road it felt so much harder and going by my Strava cost me 2mph.So the MBK is now purely going to be used for what it is intended for.

That said then I am now wondering whether I can fit stronger 700c wheels to my Roberts Tourer that would enable me to ride sometimes over rough ground. The largest tyres I can fit are 32mm so I don't think my idea of fitting 29ers will wash.

As usual I am looking for the cheapest option so I am also wondering whether it would just be cheaper to buy a Surly frame set to be able to fit stronger wheels.
As usual I would appreciate all advice offered.
Last edited by hondated on 16 Sep 2018, 6:30pm, edited 1 time in total.
NetworkMan

Re: Strongest set of touring wheels.

Post by NetworkMan »

There are plenty of strong 700c wheels that aren't particularly large. What is about your Roberts that limits you to 32 mm tyres? Do you know if your Roberts is 130 OLN at the rear or 135 mm?
PH

Post by PH »

It's not just the weight it's also how you ride. With a little care, taking it easy on the roughest bits, coming out of the saddle and distributing your weight for the hits... ought to keep any reasonably well built wheelset running fine.
I'm around 100kg and often carry 15 kg of kit or shopping in two panniers. Current wheels of choice are 36h Exal LX17 rims on Deore hubs, Spa will build them to last. I've had everything from Open Pros to Sputniks without issue, what do you have on the Roberts now and why don't you think they're strong enough?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I don't know about strongest, but I have a set of wheels built on DT Swiss rims. Mine are not currently in their catologue. These are the closest ones there https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/rim ... ng/tk-540/

I commute on mine on GP 4 Seasons 28s. I normally have a laptop and a few other things and sometimes take my bike over very rough ground (a rocky MTB route). I can't go as fast as I would on an MTB, but it's not a problem for the wheels. They're not the lightest, but they're sturdy.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

A Roberts tourer doesn't sound like the sort of thing anyone would fit racy light wheels to. Rather begs the questions, what is your current setup and why do you think they are not that strong.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Exal SP19's rims are similar in type to the Ryde Sputniks but in my view better quality
19mm width is hardly wide?

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s116p2960/EXAL-SP19
hondated

Post by hondated »

NetworkMan wrote:There are plenty of strong 700c wheels that aren't particularly large. What is about your Roberts that limits you to 32 mm tyres? Do you know if your Roberts is 130 OLN at the rear or 135 mm?

As far as I know NM its 135mm and the restriction is on the front tyre to bottom fork bearing. And on the rear tyre to rear stay bridge. Great question though because thinking about it Chas did say 32mm if I wanted to keep guards on so I will have a measure up later or tomorrow.Thanks
hondated

Post by hondated »

PH wrote:It's not just the weight it's also how you ride. With a little care, taking it easy on the roughest bits, coming out of the saddle and distributing your weight for the hits... ought to keep any reasonably well built wheelset running fine.
I'm around 100kg and often carry 15 kg of kit or shopping in two panniers. Current wheels of choice are 36h Exal LX17 rims on Deore hubs, Spa will build them to last. I've had everything from Open Pros to Sputniks without issue, what do you have on the Roberts now and why don't you think they're strong enough?

Thanks PH I think the reason I have asked the question is to ensure I have the strongest wheels possible if I should take a route over some rough ground. I suppose I have got the cycling version of " Range Rover " syndrome in that I am looking to fit wheels that realistically I will never need. I think what you write makes sense with regard to riding out of the saddle etc. In fact the last time I rode over some rough ground,actually carefully, I did end up with a couple of broken spokes. At the time I had DT Swiss TK 7.1 rims fitted but when I took the wheel into the shop to get a couple of spokes replaced they told me that the rim needed replacing but replaced it with a Mavic 319 rim as they could match the original.
hondated

Post by hondated »

Vorpal wrote:I don't know about strongest, but I have a set of wheels built on DT Swiss rims. Mine are not currently in their catologue. These are the closest ones there https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/rim ... ng/tk-540/

I commute on mine on GP 4 Seasons 28s. I normally have a laptop and a few other things and sometimes take my bike over very rough ground (a rocky MTB route). I can't go as fast as I would on an MTB, but it's not a problem for the wheels. They're not the lightest, but they're sturdy.

Thats interesting Vorpal as you can see from my reply to PH I too had DT Swiss rims with Deore Hubs fitted and they seemed ok until I broke a couple of spokes and they could not get me a DT Swiss replacement.
Funnily enough I have also just fitted the same tyres that you have as well. Thanks.
hondated

Post by hondated »

iandriver wrote:A Roberts tourer doesn't sound like the sort of thing anyone would fit racy light wheels to. Rather begs the questions, what is your current setup and why do you think they are not that strong.

Thanks Ian you will see from my other replies my current set up and after my recent mountain bike escapade I wrote about in the MBK section I am looking for wheels that will allow me to venture off the road whenever I see an opportunity to. Got to say its just great to get away from traffic.
I suppose what also prompted me to ask the question is that I read recently that its a bit of a myth when people say that 26" wheels are stronger given mountain bikes are now using 29ers.
hondated

Post by hondated »

mercalia wrote:Exal SP19's rims are similar in type to the Ryde Sputniks but in my view better quality
19mm width is hardly wide?

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s116p2960/EXAL-SP19

Thanks mercalia I will book mark that in case I decide to change my wheels.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

hondated wrote:... In fact the last time I rode over some rough ground,actually carefully, I did end up with a couple of broken spokes.....

THE SPOKES WERE ALREADY FATIGUED.
What you need is somebody who builds wheels and properly stress-relieves them; then the spokes will outlast several rims.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Where may I read about stress-relieving spokes? (Link?)
Thanks
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

531colin wrote: What you need is somebody who builds wheels and properly stress-relieves them; then the spokes will outlast several rims.

yup. Read Jobst Brandt's 'bicycle wheel' book if you want to learn about stress relief.

BTW 26" rims are still stronger than 700C ones.

To make the 700C size 'work' in MTBs has required a whole swathe of new rear hub designs, rear end offsets, offset rims, and for punters to put up with wheels that are somewhat heavier and bend too easily.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Brucey wrote:...........To make the 700C size 'work' in MTBs has required a whole swathe of new rear hub designs, rear end offsets, offset rims, and for punters to put up with wheels that are somewhat heavier and bend too easily.....

Well, yes, but me and countless others have been taking our touring bikes off-road without any real difficulties for years......including the old Dunlop steel 27 by inch and a quarter rims, and there aren't any modern rims as awful as those.
There is a big difference between riding sedately along the average bridlepath and throwing yourself down the black run at a trail centre. Somebody already mentioned riding in a way to protect the bike.