Velo South closed roads sportive - good idea?!?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
ianrobo

Re: Velo South closed roads sportive - good idea?!?

Post by ianrobo »

This seems to have gone quiet ... presume legal action still ongoing ?
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

ianrobo wrote:This seems to have gone quiet ... presume legal action still ongoing ?

It’s all going ahead as planned. Riders have got their times and final instructions,
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

squeaker wrote:
Lorrimer12 wrote:It’s a mess. WSCC have stated in meetings that pedestrian and cycle access is permitted throughout the road closures.
That's not what's been requested; just pedestrian access (which presumably includes pedestrians pushing cycles...), despite what the council leader wrote earlier :roll:

The notice of intent to make a TTRO in Horsham district was made public on 23 August.
The effects of the Order will be to:-
(i) prohibit any vehicle, except those authorised by Velo South, from proceeding along the following lengths of road during the specified times:- ......
(ii) prohibit any vehicle from waiting, loading or unloading on the lengths of roads above
between 0001 and 2000 hours

But, as far as I can find, the TTROs have yet to be made....
"42"
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Call me a cynic, but.....

Of course the company is going ahead, it has just made a massive profit out of this

The riders will simply have to put up with any road closures rejected, any legitimate use of the route etc

All of these will be “ beyond the control of the Company

Even if not a single road closure occurred it is covered in in their T&C;

8.1 The Participant acknowledges and accepts that circumstances concerning the Event may change from time to time for reasons outside of the Organiser’s reasonable control or otherwise, without the Organiser incurring any liability and without any rights to withdrawal being accrued by the Participant save as otherwise set out in these terms and conditions.

8.2 If the Event is cancelled because of circumstances beyond the reasonable control of the Organiser including, without limitation, war, civil or political unrest, transport disruptions, terrorism, including reasonable threat thereof, inclement weather conditions, death of a member of the royal family and any legislation, regulations, ruling or omission of any relevant government, court, competent national authority or governing body, on advice of any security or police force and/or local authority consent or approval, or withdrawal of such consent or approval, (“Force Majeure”) then, save as set out below, the Participant will not be entitled to any refund of the entry fee and compensation of other losses, such as travelling or accommodation expenses.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I’ve not been following this thread but it looks like a few strong feelings out there.
E7E5DA21-6357-4524-B8A9-F8512DFA1C33.jpeg
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mr Barden had better hope no-one gets hurt as a result of pins or fuel spills on that section, else I can guess whose door the police will be knocking on soon after!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

He plans to commit a crime, doubtless the cops will visit him to prevent this

Plus One for prevention!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

squeaker wrote:
squeaker wrote:
Lorrimer12 wrote:It’s a mess. WSCC have stated in meetings that pedestrian and cycle access is permitted throughout the road closures.
That's not what's been requested; just pedestrian access (which presumably includes pedestrians pushing cycles...), despite what the council leader wrote earlier :roll:

The notice of intent to make a TTRO in Horsham district was made public on 23 August.
(i) prohibit any vehicle, except those authorised by Velo South, from proceeding along the following lengths of road during the specified times:- ......
(ii) prohibit any vehicle from waiting, loading or unloading on the lengths of roads above

20 hours...... So if I live locally and want to go to work at 06:00, before they start, I have to park my car outside the "exclusion zone" from the previous evening?

The Tour of Britain doesn't need this long, nor does the Tour de France

The more I read about the demands of this Company, the more I have sympathy with the locals
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

mjr wrote:Mr Barden had better hope no-one gets hurt as a result of pins or fuel spills on that section, else I can guess whose door the police will be knocking on soon after!

Some people are so thick, now on the Velothon I was part of a group where tacks did us in but this was luckily on an uphill stretch, some total [inappropriate word removed] out there
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

ianrobo wrote:
mjr wrote:Mr Barden had better hope no-one gets hurt as a result of pins or fuel spills on that section, else I can guess whose door the police will be knocking on soon after!

Some people are so thick, now on the Velothon I was part of a group where tacks did us in but this was luckily on an uphill stretch, some total <i>[inappropriate word removed]</i> out there

Please, report him to the police, his direct action could kill someone!
awavey

Post by awavey »

Cunobelin wrote:
squeaker wrote:
squeaker wrote:That's not what's been requested; just pedestrian access (which presumably includes pedestrians pushing cycles...), despite what the council leader wrote earlier :roll:

20 hours...... So if I live locally and want to go to work at 06:00, before they start, I have to park my car outside the "exclusion zone" from the previous evening?

The Tour of Britain doesn't need this long, nor does the Tour de France

The more I read about the demands of this Company, the more I have sympathy with the locals

depends on what aspect of the Tour of Britain you mean, the start/finish areas are usually blocked off for parking just as long, the build crew for the next days start are often working the night before on setup,, and though the race route isnt often blocked due to the way the NEG and police run a rolling road block, not exactly practical for a sportive, but youll still often find parking restrictions along the route in place for the day.

and road closures like this do cost the organisers money, you dont just ask the council permission to do it and they wave it through on the nod, you pay whatever figure the council comes up with, plus you have to pay for all the signage and the traffic management co with accredited marshals and so on

there is a reason why lots of organisers of these things favour not closing the roads because its such a hassle and cost involved dealing with the councils/police on it.
APE1

Post by APE1 »

Velo South is completely unnecessary and selfish idea. We as residents are locked within the circular route all day and were not consulted prior to the announcement of any road closures. We have arranged to take our daughter at an allotted time to start university.

It is completely selfish and no consideration has been given to residents.

If the route had been a straight route rather than a circuit then roads need only be closed for a shorter time. Alternatively if the organisers wanted a circuit why didn't they hire Goodwood race circuit?
gaz

Re: Velo South closed roads sportive - cancelled

Post by gaz »

Last edited by Graham on 21 Sep 2018, 8:53am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: post-merge edit
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Tragedy of drive-cycling reduced, +1, :D parking fees will be refunded :?
The business will make a loss, or is it insured against Acts of God?

A good day for locals to stay home if possible