Any Guys Riding A Small Pinnacle Arkose

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Witterings

Any Guys Riding A Small Pinnacle Arkose

Post by Witterings »

Trying to find out if any guys are riding a small Pinnacle Arkose, I'm right on the cusp between small and medium at 5'7.

I did try a ladies medium which is 46cm and couldn't get the seat far enough back to get my knee over the pedal spindle without spending an extra £70 on a set back seat post which may or may not have put it back far enough and wonder if this at 48cm and with a 4cm less drop to bottom bracket may be any different.

The reach / effective top tube on the ladies medium was too cramped as well and it's the same as the men's small but would have that could probably be resolved with a longer stem.

There's a 2nd hand one up for sale and whilst I don't mind the drive which is quite a way to pick it up if I was going to buy it .... don't want to go that far if it's a wasted journey and end up coming home without it ... although I've got this funny feeling to try it is the only real way to find out.
531colin

Re: Any Guys Riding A Small Pinnacle Arkose

Post by 531colin »

Witterings wrote: ..... couldn't get the seat far enough back to get my knee over the pedal spindle......

So you need a frame with a slacker seat tube angle. In round terms, 1 degree gets the saddle 10mm further back, for a man of average height.
Witterings

Post by Witterings »

531colin wrote:
Witterings wrote: ..... couldn't get the seat far enough back to get my knee over the pedal spindle......

So you need a frame with a slacker seat tube angle. In round terms, 1 degree gets the saddle 10mm further back, for a man of average height.

Interesting to know roughly what a 1 degree difference makes in terms of set back .... shame is I can't find out which year the one I tried is and some have the same angle and others are different otherwise I may be able to get a comparison.

Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and go try it.
Witterings

Post by Witterings »

Bit of an afterthought .... is there anyone near the Chichester area that has a small that I could just sit on to try it for size??
tempsperdu

Post by tempsperdu »

This may or may not be relevant but over in another place there is a 29 page thread about the Arkose.
https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topi ... nnelcanyon
Witterings

Post by Witterings »

tempsperdu wrote:This may or may not be relevant but over in another place there is a 29 page thread about the Arkose.
https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topi ... nnelcanyon

Thank you ... very useful :)