Garmin Edge survived washing machine

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
carlislemike

Garmin Edge survived washing machine

Post by carlislemike »

I bought my Garmin Edge at least 4 years ago. It is the 200 series. So far stood upto everything the weather has thrown at it. Final proof of its waterproof qualities; it survived a 40 Celsius wash in our washing machine. Nope, it wasn’t a test just human stupidity. I forgot I’d left it in my jersey pocket. A day later it was perfectly ok and recorded my morning ride. Bravo Garmin
Debs

Re: Garmin Edge survived washing machine

Post by Debs »

Did your Garmin telemetry record and hold the speed of the washing machine cycles,
plus the water temp & volume, and how long the whole wash took start to finish? :D
ScottishGeek

Post by ScottishGeek »

Still working is a good sign but if you haven’t done so already, place it in either a desiccant, eg rice, or a warm dry place for a few days.

It’s still possible that water will have got inside it and will cause corrosion over time if not dried out totally.

The Edge 200, for example, has an rating of IPX7 which means it’ll put up with submersion of up to 1 metre for 30 minutes. It’s possible a wash cycle puts it you move than that due to centrifugal forces.
carlislemike

Post by carlislemike »

Dessicant an excellent idea. Thanks
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I'm currently involved in IP testing of railway equipment to IP67 at PARC in Bideford.. the IPX7 standard which applies to the Garmin is just that .. a standard .... it will actually retain its waterproof status for considerably longer ..... Good kit Garmin .... Wish my traction control computers where as good :roll:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
ScottishGeek

Post by ScottishGeek »

landsurfer wrote:I'm currently involved in IP testing of railway equipment to IP67 at PARC in Bideford.. the IPX7 standard which applies to the Garmin is just that .. a standard .... it will actually retain its waterproof status for considerably longer ..... Good kit Garmin .... Wish my traction control computers where as good :roll:

True but we will never know if a manufacturer has designed their kit to simply scrape over the minimum standards or has vastly exceeded them.

I’d hope Garmin is in the latter though. :D
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

landsurfer wrote:I'm currently involved in IP testing of railway equipment to IP67 at PARC in Bideford.. the IPX7 standard which applies to the Garmin is just that .. a standard .... it will actually retain its waterproof status for considerably longer ..... Good kit Garmin ....l:

Landsurfer has a Garmin pigeon accredited. It finds its way home when lost ! :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

My edge 25 has been in an hour + cycle quite a few times. The first one too but it started playing up. Not after a wash but after a very wet ride into work where moisture got into it. Luckily I got its replacement for £45.

I suspect they are probably surpassing the standard's requirements by some way but not enough to gain a higher standard rating.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I left my Samsung Galaxy in the overalls pocket and put them in the washing machine.

The weather was poor, so I hung them up in the kitchen over the range. A couple of ours later, I heard a rather quiet beep beep. I wasn't sure what or where the beep beep came from, so ignored it thinking it was a lorry reversing somewhere.

A little while later, I heard it again and thought it was in the house. I wandered around and listened. Nothing!
Still later, I heard it again and suddenly realised what it was! My phone! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I fished it out of my pocket, pulled the back off and removed the battery - you could do that with the Galaxy.
I left it to dry on the plate rack above the range for a few hours and put the battery back and tried it. Nowt! :shock:

I pulled the thing completely apart. Battery out, internals out by unscrewing the tiny screws, circuit board out, and all the bits and bobs I could get out. I left them all on a tray overnight on the plate rack.

Next morning, I reassembled the lot and tried again.
It seemed to turn on ok but the screen was blank. I phoned it up from the landline. It rang! :lol:
Trouble is, the screen was not only blank, it was WHITE. Unable to use it to answer or make a call.

I think the detergent I used (Lidl non-bio tabs) washed away all the screen internals. The phone went off to the local playgroup for the kits to pretend to use a phone. The battery went to the recycling.

The moral to this, is to make a copy of all your data and your address book. If your phone goes kaputt, you still have your info and stuff. Same with a computer. Make backups and copies!
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I believe if you have a gmail email address Google Photos and Google Drive all your contacts data and photos will be automatically backed up and saved on any Android or Chrome device. When you change to a new phone or tablet its all there because its all there in Googles cloud. But.. If you are Mac, I dont know.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......