Cycling southwest

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
peetee

Cycling southwest

Post by peetee »

Anyone here a cyclist in the far southwest of Cornwall? I am considering relocating and am interested in just how popular it has become amongst locals and holidaymakers in the intervening years since I left Redruth in 1990. Here in Hampshire it is very popular now. Back in the 80s you barely saw anyone riding.
Is the Redruth/Truro/Falmouth area well served with experienced bike retailers and servicing? Are good routes waymarked? Are there bike friendly cafes?
What can you tell me?
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Cycling southwest

Post by Mick F »

Good bike shop in Truro.
Redruth too, but I don't know about Falmouth.
https://www.clivemitchellcycles.co.uk
https://bikechainricci.co.uk
Been into Clive Mitchell's many times when I've been in Truro and I bought my first good wheels from Ricci back in 1986. :D

I've cycled all over Cornwall these past few years, and I've seen an increase of cyclists. Absolutely no doubt whatsoever.

Met a chap some months ago from St Ives when I was down that way. Saw him again when I was back that way again only a week or three ago! :D

We live in the Far East of Cornwall.
Gunnislake, and we're guarding the borders from the marauding English hordes. :lol:
(spoken by a Lancastrian born in Wales living in Cornwall these past 35years)
Mick F. Cornwall
whoof

Post by whoof »

I know what you mean. If I saw someone on a road bike a few years back I would know them by name.

If you go a little further to Helston Cyclogic are pretty good although now a Giant Store.
http://www.giant-helston.co.uk/gb
Not so sure about Redruth!

There are good cafes a Bissoe also owned the the shop in Redruth.
https://bikechainbissoe.co.uk/
There is also a good off road route to Porthreath.
But the best in in Sithney which is strangley called the Handy shop but is mainly a cafe.
http://www.cornwallphotogifts.co.uk/contact-page/

I know that Men's Pants (Penzance) Wheelers have had an increase in membership over the past few years.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

More cycling, +1 maybe, but has the tdc, Tragedy of drive-cycling, spread to The Duchy?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
RodT

Post by RodT »

Truro Cycling Club is active and friendly and can introduce you to all the best rides in the area. Clive Mitchell in Truro is an excellent LBS and has opened big new premises at Indian Queens. There are some great rides over the moors and along the coast in West Penwith- that's what we call 'down west', and includes St.Ives, Penzance, Zennor and St. Just.
I'd say cycling has gained hugely in popularity in Cornwall in the last five years.
There are also lots of interesting mining and other off-road trails. You can do coast-to-coast (Devoran to Portreath) in an hour and a half easily!
Hills are short and sharp and numerous.
I have a true perspective on how good Cornwall is for cycling because I've just moved to Somerset.
Steve

Post by Steve »

"Bike friendly cafes"....
A bit tangential, but I usually want the same from a cafe whether or not I'm on the bike. Only difference being it's good to park the bike nearby & preferably in view. Otherwise, consideration no 1 is that they serve a big pot of tea with hot water on the side. Next that the food is good vfm and portions generous! I've tried some of these cafes attached to bike shops and they don't tick those boxes!
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Cyril Haearn wrote:More cycling, +1 maybe, but has the tdc, Tragedy of drive-cycling, spread to The Duchy?

YES .... BECAUSE I AM NOT CYCLING FROM SHEFFIELD TO REDRUTH EVERY MONTH !!!

Pack the "Tragedy" cvap in please .... you bring yourself into disrepute by this constant view ?

I am in Bideford 2 days next week on business ... i will take my bike and ride both days ... on different roads, different routes ....
Shall i leave my bike at home ????

:roll: :evil: :roll:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

landsurfer wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:More cycling, +1 maybe, but has the tdc, Tragedy of drive-cycling, spread to The Duchy?

YES .... BECAUSE I AM NOT CYCLING FROM SHEFFIELD TO REDRUTH EVERY MONTH !!!

Pack the "Tragedy" cvap in please .... you bring yourself into disrepute by this constant view ?

I am in Bideford 2 days next week on business ... i will take my bike and ride both days ... on different roads, different routes ....
Shall i leave my bike at home ????

:roll: :evil: :roll:

The tragedy is that your caravan is not at Bridlington :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
peetee

Post by peetee »

Thanks for the replies. I didn't mean to sound like I was a newbie when it came to riding there. I did a huge milage in the time that I spent in Redruth. It was more an enqiry as to whether the supporting infrastructure was there to encourage riding. To me the area is one of the best in the country for a combination of interest, technical trail and challenging roads but it doesn't seem to have cashed in on the bike boom in the same way that, say, the lakes has.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.