Government to re-invent sat nav and Google maps?

pwa

Re: Government to re-invent sat nav and Google maps?

Post by pwa »

I saw an Apple Maps vehicle on the road today, with an array of cameras on the roof. Presumably that means a rival to Google Streetview is on the way. I wish they would tell you when they are doing your street, then you could moon out of the window at them.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

pwa wrote:I saw an Apple Maps vehicle on the road today, with an array of cameras on the roof. Presumably that means a rival to Google Streetview is on the way. I wish they would tell you when they are doing your street, then you could moon out of the window at them.

Doesn't last for long as they are constantly being updated....

I was on Google Streetview for about 6 months.

As for mooning - fairly minor, there was a "young lady of negotiable virtue" that appeared on Street view caught in the act of plying her trade
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

Cunobelin wrote:
Doesn't last for long as they are constantly being updated....

I was on Google Streetview for about 6 months.

Depends where you live. Streetview still shows a pen of fluffy lambs that I sent to market years ago.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

David9694 wrote:What was this I heard in the news a few days ago that by 2025 the government are doing something that will divert traffic away from congestion?

Nay, nay and thrice nay! was my reaction - we’ve got enough cars rat-running down our country lanes. Plus it’s already been done, hasn’t it?

when I read the title to this thread I thought it would be about the threat from the EU that we wouldn't be allowed full (i.e. military spec, strategic, air safety related) access to the new 'Galileo' GPS system, because of Brexit.

This is probably a load of posturing euro-nonsense, part of the negotiation game, but the UK government said that if the threat were made real, they would just launch their own satellites anyway. And we could; we (I think) built the galileo satellites.... :roll: But would it cost? You betcha....

Anyway the net effect on GPS use for punters like us could be an improvement in (civilian) GPS accuracy; there is talk that modern GPS chips will read the US GPS satellites, the Russian ones, and the Galileo ones; if there is a UK system the chips might read that too.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
David9694

Post by David9694 »

The othe news item we’re seeing more of is “toxic air in our schools”, etc.

Riddle me this: we’re in largely post-industrial era now, so not too many steel works, factories or coal fires causing pollution - yet most reports seem pretty non-specific about where all these nasty black carbon particles are coming from. Can anyone shed any light on this?
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
mjr

Post by mjr »

David9694 wrote:The othe news item we’re seeing more of is “toxic air in our schools”, etc.

Riddle me this: we’re in largely post-industrial era now, so not too many steel works, factories or coal fires causing pollution - yet most reports seem pretty non-specific about where all these nasty black carbon particles are coming from. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Follow the money. What industry buys a lot of advertising space in newspapers?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Brucey wrote:
David9694 wrote:What was this I heard in the news a few days ago that by 2025 the government are doing something that will divert traffic away from congestion?

Nay, nay and thrice nay! was my reaction - we’ve got enough cars rat-running down our country lanes. Plus it’s already been done, hasn’t it?

when I read the title to this thread I thought it would be about the threat from the EU that we wouldn't be allowed full (i.e. military spec, strategic, air safety related) access to the new 'Galileo' GPS system, because of Brexit.

This is probably a load of posturing euro-nonsense, part of the negotiation game, but the UK government said that if the threat were made real, they would just launch their own satellites anyway. And we could; we (I think) built the galileo satellites.... :roll: But would it cost? You betcha....

Anyway the net effect on GPS use for punters like us could be an improvement in (civilian) GPS accuracy; there is talk that modern GPS chips will read the US GPS satellites, the Russian ones, and the Galileo ones; if there is a UK system the chips might read that too.

cheers

Michel Barnier said “We have to work hard to find a form of partnership with the United Kingdom on Galileo on a different basis, and we will find a partnership; some way to enable your country to use the signals, including the most sensitive signal, which is the defence-related PRS signal.

“What will not be possible is for a third country to participate in any technological development of the signal, having left the Union, which was the country’s choice.”
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote:
David9694 wrote:The othe news item we’re seeing more of is “toxic air in our schools”, etc.

Follow the money. What industry buys a lot of advertising space in newspapers?

Somehow I doubt the few remaining Austin seven cars are having much of an effect on air quality. :lol:
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mjr

Post by mjr »

pete75 wrote:Somehow I doubt the few remaining Austin seven cars are having much of an effect on air quality. :lol:

You try finding a modern car ad that's permissively licensed! It's also rather interesting to note how some of the lies never change - the main modern one missing is the picture of it using a mysteriously-deserted road.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote:
pete75 wrote:Somehow I doubt the few remaining Austin seven cars are having much of an effect on air quality. :lol:

You try finding a modern car ad that's permissively licensed! It's also rather interesting to note how some of the lies never change - the main modern one missing is the picture of it using a mysteriously-deserted road.

Depends what part of the country you're in most of the roads around here are usually pretty deserted - it's mysterious if they have a lot of traffic. If you do find lies in car adverts you can report them to the ASA. Wouldn't know myself as I never read them.
David9694

Post by David9694 »

Yes, you’ve guessed all roads lead back to the rise of the car. Who’d be school kid today??

At the rate we’re going, on Brexit, we’ll have turned back the clock in this (insignificant and in need of friends) country to all be in Austin 7s again: comes with a free Batholomew road atlas. I don’t especially like the more powerful vintage cars being on the road - they’ve got the oomph but the controls ( brakes, steering) aren’t great in some cases. They pollute quite a lot relatively, and would presumably have used ye olde leaded petrol back in the day?

It’s staggering when you see one of these parked next to some present day “SUV” or fat tank, the difference in widths and oh look lots of us are ourselves getting wider too, had you noticed?

Mysteriously deserted road, sweeping ocean drive, luminous city centre, without a tyre depot or multi storey in sight either. Interesting point about the ASA - perhaps CUK could try it out for us? “sir- The vehicle is clearly shown driving in daylight hours in a urban commercial district : unless the advertiser is claiming this is 4.30 am in mid June, this image is misleading to consumers as it implies that you are going somewhere fast, when the reality is that no-one is going anywhere fast... hugs, Duncan Dollimore.”There you go, CTRL+C to copy, +V to paste - and you’re welcome.

There are specific advertiser rules about not, in image terms, equating alcohol with sexual success (I think social is OK rules-wise.)
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.