Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Marcus Aurelius

Re: Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Cunobelin wrote:Talking about difficult customers and bouncers - A few years ago there was a banned customer who came back in the following day.... by car!

A drinker thrown out of a pub took revenge by smashing his car through the front doors and driving around inside the bar, causing £300,000 worth of damage.

I know that pub well. It’s a bit ‘charecterful’.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

As far as getting back on track for the O.P. I have a few favourites.

The Angel, in the Festival place shopping area in Basingstoke is good, because just around the corner, they have secure ‘cage boxes’ into which you can put your bike, but you need to bring your own padlock, for the cage door. There’s also a bike rack right by the front door.

Also in Basingstoke, is the Maidenhead Inn. You can bring your bikes into the outside seating area at the back, which is nice.

The Ivy kitchen, in Alton is good, with plenty of bike racking, within site of the front garden area.

The George Inn in Littlehampton is good too.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:As far as getting back on track for the O.P. I have a few favourites.

The Angel, in the Festival place shopping area in Basingstoke is good, because just around the corner, they have secure ‘cage boxes’ into which you can put your bike, but you need to bring your own padlock, for the cage door. There’s also a bike rack right by the front door.

Also in Basingstoke, is the Maidenhead Inn. You can bring your bikes into the outside seating area at the back, which is nice.

The Ivy kitchen, in Alton is good, with plenty of bike racking, within site of the front garden area.

The George Inn in Littlehampton is good too.

Think I have been in the littlehampton one with a friend on a coastal ride.
Bike racks in street quite close by, fairly good window view at the front?

Edit _ just checked the Ivy HOUSE - yes, that looks like a nice outside area.
Sweep
ossie

Post by ossie »

I visited the spoons in Redditch not that long back. (Royal Enfield)

Its actually an old cinema (they kept the theme ) but plenty of nostalgia if you're a biker of the other variety. The new cinemas are 5 minutes away before we get a conspiracy theory !

http://myroyalenfields.blogspot.com/201 ... d-pub.html
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Why does spoons have so many old cinemas? One would have thought conversion would be difficult with sloping floors
I guess they are mostly old-style cinemas with just one big theatre, right?

What else do they have, old copshops, old train stations?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
ossie

Post by ossie »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Why does spoons have so many old cinemas? One would have thought conversion would be difficult with sloping floors

It did seem slightly 'cavernous' inside but an iconic building. I guess the alternative would be flats.

Sweep

Post by Sweep »

ossie wrote:I visited the spoons in Redditch not that long back. (Royal Enfield)

Its actually an old cinema (they kept the theme ) but plenty of nostalgia if you're a biker of the other variety. The new cinemas are 5 minutes away before we get a conspiracy theory !

http://myroyalenfields.blogspot.com/201 ... d-pub.html

I passed by that last year on a roundabout ride Birmingham to London. As I recall I didn't stop - maybe because there was no particular beer that shouted at me (one of the great things about spoons, even if the building is middling, is that sense of anticipation about which beers may await you - you never know) , though I also seem to recall that it also wasn't good for parking a loaded tourer.

Mind you, I had come from the other spoons in town (two in a pretty small place!) the Rising Sun. A building of no great interest as I recall - in the modern redeveloped town centre BUT there are sheffield stands right across the pedestrianised street outside so you can sit outside with the smokers or inside in certain places with a clear view. Which I did - left the bike all (and very substantially) loaded.

I had to stop there, even though I had breakfasted (with beer) in a Birmingham spoons as they had this wondrous stuff on draught.

http://www.thornbridgebrewery.co.uk/pro ... p?s=jaipur

A beer I was introduced to by spoons.

Thoroughly recommended.

So perhaps just as well I didn't go in the town's other outlet - pedalling to be done.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Why does spoons have so many old cinemas? One would have thought conversion would be difficult with sloping floors

On cinemas, possibly because it's difficult to find another use for such buildings so spoons has a clearer run at them. But they desserve our thanks nevertheless for preserving them. My local spoons is an old cinema. Shut as a cinema decades ago, then kept in use as a bingo hall, then when they departed it was empty and semi wrecked looking for a long time. At one time it was in danger of being demolished.

Its now listed and spoons has treated the building well.

A while ago a cinema chain was interested in taking over the lease but they gave up as they wanted to make changes to the building that wouldn't have been allowed under its listed status.

So it's time as a cinema is gone and us lucky folks can sit in its great interior drinking wonderful cheap beer - what's not to like?

Cop shops? New Malden.
Used to live there - always seemed a somewhat gloomy building but maybe that was because my experience of it was going in to present my documents after a bit of dodgy driving.

Not sure about outdoor seating with a bike but there are sheffield stands directly outside.

After the spoons conversion and opening up it is remarkably light and airy:

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pub-histo ... new-malden

Which raises another great point about spoons - those often very interesting, nay downright surprising, local history boards you can peruse as you recover from your peddaling, fill up for the onward journey.

A quick scan of that one above for instance tells me that Diana Rigg is an ex resident - before my time unfortunately.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Greenwood hotel, north london suburbs

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all- ... l-northolt

Listed building, rather wonderful

Sheffield stands under a nice cover

Iced water dispenser freely available on bar for refilling water bottles.

Power and usb points at tables.

Outside seating though inside is nice and airy, like being in an art deco ocean liner.

For those who must drive several electric car charging points in the car park.

Just a pity that on my recent visit, despite a vast array of pumps, a distinct lack of nice strong beers.

Floor bounces strangely in bits. An old dance floor? Still has its original stage and some old fittings.

But overall, top marks.

edit - I note (probably because it's a hotel) that it opens at 7 - wouldn't expect them to serve you beer at that time but they will I would expect serve breakfasts - so ideal for an early ride out of into London. It's not far from where you can join the canal (Grand Union?) and you can then ride all the way into central London on that.
Last edited by Sweep on 18 Sep 2018, 12:45pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

The Last Post, Southend on Sea.

An old Post Office sorting office. Large building stretching between 2 roads so 2 'main' entrances.

The way that W'spoons have used and often saved many fine old buildings is to their credit. We have a wonderful old Victorian Hotel that would have been an ideal building for them, but it has been bought and is being developed by some reality TV star. Planning is centred on how many flats he can cram over a wine bar.

A bit of a search on the web reveals lots of different buildings used eg an old Benefits Office. Also the names are usually well thought out, sometimes not so obvious. I had always assumed that The Leading Light in Faversham was a maritime related name, but it actually refers to a man who was a 'leading light' in the development of the town.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

simonhill wrote:The Last Post, Southend on Sea.

An old Post Office sorting office. Large building stretching between 2 roads so 2 'main' entrances.

The way that W'spoons have used and often saved many fine old buildings is to their credit. We have a wonderful old Victorian Hotel that would have been an ideal building for them, but it has been bought and is being developed by some reality TV star. Planning is centred on how many flats he can cram over a wine bar.

A bit of a search on the web reveals lots of different buildings used eg an old Benefits Office. Also the names are usually well thought out, sometimes not so obvious. I had always assumed that The Leading Light in Faversham was a maritime related name, but it actually refers to a man who was a 'leading light' in the development of the town.

Yes, often some interesting bits of local history in their info panels to while away a bit of time.

The Greenwood has some nice photos, with info, of Polish air crews who were based at the nearby Northolt during WW11.

Their info panels etc make a nice change from many pubs I remember from my distant youth that felt the need to decorate their walls with fake agricultural nic-nacs.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Interesting - will check it out if that way - specific cycle frendliness?
Sweep
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Sweep wrote:

Interesting - will check it out if that way - specific cycle frendliness?

No, best to use station (Southend Central) facilities over the road on north side.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Considering that many of these Wetherspoon's are in converted office buildings, has anyone here worked in one in the past?
I haven't ........... but I know a lady who has! :D

Mrs Mick F worked as a temp for a while when we lived in Portsmouth not long after we married. She got a posting to the Gas Board and was filing stuff in big cabinets.

Last spring, it just so happened that we were in Portsmouth ready for the ferry across to France and had some time to kill. We went into the 'Spoons there at Guildhall Square. We remember the square from back in 1973/4 and TBH they've ruined it. Horrible glass building across the old road in front of Southsea Station blocking out the view to the city. Absolute yuk of a place now, characterless and boring.

Sorry, I digress ..........

We'd been in the 'Spoons for a little while and Mrs Mick F went out the front and noticed the plaques on the wall in the doorway, and realised it was the old Gas Board offices!
She recognised the staircase, and the loos upstairs are where her old office was! :lol:

I took her photograph.
IMG_0197.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Interesting - sounds like the spoons may be one of the nice bits of the square left and that they may have saved it from being flattened and turned into something dull.
Sweep