Sustrans Route78 missing link

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
PAB855

Sustrans Route78 missing link

Post by PAB855 »

Are there any predictions regarding the 2mile section south of Duror on route 78 as to date for its completion?

We have cycled on this route from both directions, but dare not even contemplate riding on the short section of the A828 for fear of being crushed by a timber truck etc. Some traffic is very fast and with this section having several bends I don't fancy it one bit. We have one bicycle and one recumbent trike with flags, lights and hi viz clothing, but for us it's a no no.

Cheers
gaz

Re: Sustrans Route78 missing link

Post by gaz »

https://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/route/route-78
Route gaps

Please note that there currently remain two unavoidable short gaps in National Route 78. This is due to landownership and other constraints. The gaps are in the section described below as 'Oban to Fort William' - around Ledaig (for 1.1 miles/1.8km) and south of Duror (for 3km/ 1.9 miles). Onward travel here means there is no option but temporarily joining the narrow high speed trunk road, and this is not recommended for children or inexperienced cyclists, or those on foot. There are some more details about the gaps in the Oban to Fort William route description. Over recent years Sustrans and other stakeholders have worked hard to progress alternative traffic-free path routes in these areas, and we are optimistic that work on improving the situation may be possible over the next few years. We continue to investigate all options here.

I don't know when that page was last updated, the timescale seems completely open-ended.
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

Thanks Gaz.

It's such a short stretch South of Duror that it's very frustrating not to have a link here. Looking at the area in detail, there appears to be a forestry road to the east of the main road, but I've no idea of the legality or feasibility of using this..

Any comments anyone?

Cheers
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Not recommended for walkers :? Could one trudge along the verge (if there is one?)

An easy solution would be a reduced maximum speed limit for the short stretch, how many seconds would that cost the motons?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mjr

Post by mjr »

PAB855 wrote:It's such a short stretch South of Duror that it's very frustrating not to have a link here. Looking at the area in detail, there appears to be a forestry road to the east of the main road, but I've no idea of the legality or feasibility of using this..

Any comments anyone?

Looks like an omnishambles of Sustrans working with a very slow-for-cycling highways department. https://peterbevis.com/cycle-track/ is one description of the many-year saga, including more detail on the forest road.

You might carry the bike if the first bit is still as bad as described in https://lochaberhighlandestate.blogspot ... dland.html
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

Thanks mri.

I'm beginning to think I've come across an episode of Monty Python! It's bizarre! Despite the invitation to use the ready made track, the link using the gated access opposite the cemetery makes it even more frustrating! There isn't a 2mile gap at all, just a short distance which is navigable for walkers and cyclists who can carry their bikes. That's not us. Even an ICE ADVENTURE recumbent trike isn't a mountain goat! Aaaarrrrgh. When will someone do something RIGHT.

With grateful thanks to those who have achieved so much in trying to complete this link.

Cheers
mjr

Post by mjr »

PAB855 wrote:There isn't a 2mile gap at all, just a short distance which is navigable for walkers and cyclists who can carry their bikes. That's not us. Even an ICE ADVENTURE recumbent trike isn't a mountain goat! Aaaarrrrgh. When will someone do something RIGHT.

Just as soon some part of government grows a backbone and actually uses things like Bridleway Creation Orders and Bridleway Improvement Schemes, or even Compulsory Purchase Orders, for cycling infrastructure, instead of only ever pushing new motor roads through and then often without cycling infrastructure.

Yes, it seems that the deal-breaker for a trike is the stepping stones on the route!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

Yes, the ICE recumbent trike has opened up lots of possibilities for us, but before changing to that from an upright trike with electric assist, we tackled this route from Ballachulish (fabulous saute potatoes at the golf course cafe!) and the section that climbs up between private houses near the holly tree restaurant was almost a barrier because of its steepnes. My wife struggled to walk up the path hanging onto the fence, while I did a double shuffle to retrieve the trike and we had to negotiate the heavy wooden gates as well. If I remember correctly, Sustrans didn't favour a climb to the 'Bevis' pathway at its southern end, but that's peculiar when they have such obstacle courses as the 'holly tree hill' on the same route! Granted there's no room there for a zig zag, but nevertheless, a steep path without a barrier, we CAN manage.

Hopefully the path will be completed soon

Cheers
Tinnishill

Post by Tinnishill »

Agitate, educate, organise.
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

Thanks for that news. It's good to see that something has been done for the benefit of the community between Benderloch and Ledaig.

Have you any information about the Duror missing link?

Cheers
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

Does anyone know if the two on-road sections of the NCN 78 between Duror and Connel have been replaced by cycle tracks yet? I believe that the work was meant to have been completed last summer but have not found confirmation on the web.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Still under construction according to a post on the NCN Facebook group. Maybe open at Easter?

https://m.facebook.com/groups/355411211 ... 2329149105
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

rotavator wrote:Does anyone know if the two on-road sections of the NCN 78 between Duror and Connel have been replaced by cycle tracks yet? I believe that the work was meant to have been completed last summer but have not found confirmation on the web.

To answer my own question, I have just found this statement from Argyll and Bute council:

4.2.2.NCN78, Caledonia Way (SUSTRANS & Transport Scotland)SUSTRANS have constructed two new off-road sections of the NCN78, Caledonia Way north of Oban in 2018/19. These sections at North Ledaig (just north of Oban Airport) and Duror mean that the entire route of NCN78 from North Connel to Ballachulish is now off the carriageway of the main A828 trunk road.