No More Extra 9 Months on Passport After Early Renewal

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
meic

Re: No More Extra 9 Months on Passport After Early Renewal

Post by meic »

On that point my passport was issued March 2009 so if there is a no deal departure it will not matter that next Easter it will have just less than 6 months to expiry. The French/EU will not accept it because of when it was issued, regardless of its expiry date. Without the Money Saving Expert raising this issue I would not even have known this. Exactly what the passport authorities are seeking to avoid happening in future.
Yma o Hyd
mjr

Post by mjr »

meic wrote:
They require a passport issued in the last ten years but I see nothing stopping a longer UK validity.

Even our incompetent authorities can see the stupidity of issuing passports that our nearest neighbours will not accept as valid long before they expire.

They're only not valid outbound. They're still useful for returning to the UK. This has long been the case for going to lots of countries.

This doesn't seem like a change by anyone other than our government.

Oh and as for our nearest neighbours, Ireland isn't changing its approach, as far as we know yet, but I suspect the leavers can screw up the Irish border badly yet.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

So my daughters is coming up for renewal but presumably she'll be ok to carry over as that's a five years one. I might submit that soon actually then.

I just assumed it was a money grabbing exercise by the passport office!- I didn't realise that there were eu legal issues with the current approach.
meic

Post by meic »

So my daughters is coming up for renewal but presumably she'll be ok to carry over as that's a five years one. I might submit that soon actually then.

Mine went through right on the deadline. I would not use that as a guarantee that they are not erroneously applying the rule to five year renewals now.
Yma o Hyd
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

As mentioned above, I picked this up on the MSE Newsletter and thought it would be useful info: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/ ... _content=9

I think one of the problems was that it wasn't announced and therefore caught many people out. Apply one day get it, apply the next and don't with no explanation. It seems the PO and the Home Office weren't particularly forthcoming. Although initially blaming the EU, the Home Office later said it was to comply with worldwide requirements and didn't directly blame the the EU (see article).

On my last renewal, 8 years ago, I was was given an extra 6 months with expiry being in January. When I entered China a few months later in October I had to enter my passport's issue and expiry date into the Immigration computer. The drop down menu only gave ten years from current year whereas my passport was into the 11th year. I can't remember how I sorted it, but they accepted it and let me in.

Has anyone been denied access with passport with validity in excess of 10 years?

If the ten year issue rule is to be enforced across the world, then the problem doesn't come on issue, but as you get near to the expiry of your passport. This means that there are millions of passports in current use with an invalid final period. Be warned. Although it could be argued that this situation already exists in that many countries won't accept a passport with less than 6 months validity.
Last edited by simonhill on 21 Sep 2018, 11:01am, edited 1 time in total.
meic

Post by meic »

If the ten year issue rule is to be enforced across the world,

The articles that I have read all imply it is only the EU.
I have also tried to investigate if any other country than the UK was issuing passport renewals early.
I havent been able to find any signs that they were, though my methods were far from comprehensive.
Yma o Hyd
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I only know from what I read in that article, I'll have to look for other sources. As I said they now seem to be blaming 'the rest of the world' rather than the EU. This is the quote in the MSE article:

"On Thursday, the Home Office finally confirmed the changes. A spokesperson said: "To meet international guidelines relating to maximum passport validity, Her Majesty’s Passport Office no longer carries over any validity from a previous passport.

"This will ensure that people travelling abroad will be compliant with border entry requirements around the world.""
mjr

Post by mjr »

meic wrote:
If the ten year issue rule is to be enforced across the world,

The articles that I have read all imply it is only the EU.

Maybe because most of the press and elements of the government are happy to blame everything on the EU even when it isn't related?

meic wrote:I have also tried to investigate if any other country than the UK was issuing passport renewals early.
I havent been able to find any signs that they were, though my methods were far from comprehensive.

I suspected Commonwealth countries are most likely to follow UK practices, so I checked three: Singapore rolls over up to nine months validity; Australia doesn't and Australians are pretty scathing on forums about their government ripping them off compared to the kiwis, so I checked and New Zealand might, but I can't confirm that on a govt.nz site because part of the renewal info is behind a Government-Gateway-like login for NZ nationals.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

simonhill wrote:This is the quote in the MSE article:

"This will ensure that people travelling abroad will be compliant with border entry requirements around the world.""

That's a load of oar sheet. Why would it ensure that people travelling abroad will be compliant with border entry requirements? Loads of people will still travel without even checking first and now this incentive to leave renewals to the last minute and effective shortening of validity to a very strange 9½ years means more will leave renewal too late.

All it ensures is more work for the government bureaucracy. Well done, Sir Humphrey! Trebles all round!
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

I can't understand why people are not far more concerned with the really important issues around passports. Like their colour.

Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I just received my new passport today, and the old one, cancelled, in a separate envelope

Applying the rule of caution as a good citizen, I applied in good time, after having to get a second photo, I remember warnings about delays of weeks or months, one never knows whether there might be questions

Posted 10.9, new one received 21.9, lost 56 days under the new validity rules

Maybe next time I will let it expire and then apply :wink:

It is deep red with some nice pictures but the paper is thinner than the last passport was
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

It's not that long ago, that people had only five year passports.
HM forces and Government employees were the only people who had ten year passports.
Mick F. Cornwall
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mick F wrote:It's not that long ago, that people had only five year passports.
HM forces and Government employees were the only people who had ten year passports.

I've never had anything less than ten years and it turns out that "not that long ago" is actually more than fifty years ago!
rjb

Post by rjb »

After the summer we have just had i wont be renewing my passport. Holidays in the uk. Had to go to the North of Scotland this summer to escape the heat down here. 8)
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

When I got my first passport, it was October 1969. I'd been in the navy a whole month by then! :D
It was a ten year passport, and ten years later in 1979, I had another.
I remember being told that "normal" people could only have five year passports and we were privileged.

I don't believe that it was fifty years ago that Joe Public generally had a ten year passport.
Maybe they could request one, but it wasn't normal or run of the mill.
Mick F. Cornwall