Velo South closed roads sportive - good idea?!?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mjr

Re: Weather warnings force cancellation of Vélo South closed road sportive

Post by mjr »

1982john wrote:Sad news for all those hoping to take part.

https://road.cc/content/news/248720-wea ... d-sportive

"No word yet as to whether the threatened walking protest against the event will still take place or if protesters will instead focus their attention on marching against the disruption to travel for local residents and drivers caused by the adverse weather instead."

Brilliant! That's almost up there with "The Horse Was Unhurt".

There's going to be a lot of people with non-refundable hotel bookings for Saturday night and possibly travel tickets. I wonder how many will go anyway and still ride the area? The weather for tomorrow looks OK and it's not clear when on Sunday the storm will hit, but it would probably be early enough to endanger the marshals and damage the event infrastructure so it seems right that they've cancelled. No-one wants a flying feed station tent!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Graham

Re: Velo South closed roads sportive - good idea?!?

Post by Graham »

The demonstrations are cancelled. The weather gods have been thanked.
The STOP Velo South campaigners welcome cycle events in their area but not a disruptive, closed-road, profiteering, ephemeral, psuedo-race.

https://www.stopvelo.com/blog/the-futur ... -goldsmith
Last edited by Graham on 19 Dec 2018, 8:43am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: weather gods
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Graham wrote:To start with WSCC could do with spending the Sustainable Transport Funds on . . . . . sustainable transport . . . it isn't too much to ask, eh!
Likewise Coast to Capital LEP :roll:
"42"
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

L'Etape London is also off as well
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

According to the BBC news, the event is now cancelled due to the weather..... the organisers are I suspect laughing all the way to the bank

I wonder how many refunds there will be, or whether they will use the T&C to walk away with the money
mjr

Post by mjr »

Cunobelin wrote:According to the BBC news, the event is now cancelled due to the weather..... the organisers are I suspect laughing all the way to the bank

I wonder how many refunds there will be, or whether they will use the T&C to walk away with the money

"full refund of their event entry fees & car-parking fees" says the announcement linked earlier. How do you think they're going to profit from this?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

mjr wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:According to the BBC news, the event is now cancelled due to the weather..... the organisers are I suspect laughing all the way to the bank

"full refund of their event entry fees & car-parking fees" says the announcement linked earlier. How do you think they're going to profit from this?

If they are refunding, they will at least break even form insurance
1982john

Post by 1982john »

this post reveals more about you than the organisers.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

1982john wrote:

this post reveals more about you than the organisers.

Happy with that
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The prices will be even higher next year €&€

Maybe the organisers will try to cooperate with the local people, not sure how :wink:

I rather think the event is unnecessary and could be abandoned. What does that say about me?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
awavey

Post by awavey »

Cunobelin wrote:
mjr wrote:

surely a weather related cancellation falls under "act of god" in insurance terms, unless they paid an extra premium to cover which seems a fairly obvious high risk at this time of year, in which case they wont break even, plus theyd have spent money in applying for the closed road status, bought all the stuff for the feed stations, though presumably could return the non perishable items, and I assume event photographers were hired, there were medals etc etc.

frankly Id be amazed if it didnt near enough bankrupt them
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The prices included a big mark-up, I suspect the whole thing is very much a business :?

What would happen if Glasto were subject to an Act of God? :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
slowster

Post by slowster »

awavey wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:
mjr wrote:"full refund of their event entry fees & car-parking fees" says the announcement linked earlier. How do you think they're going to profit from this?

surely a weather related cancellation falls under "act of god" in insurance terms, unless they paid an extra premium to cover which seems a fairly obvious high risk at this time of year, in which case they wont break even, plus theyd have spent money in applying for the closed road status, bought all the stuff for the feed stations, though presumably could return the non perishable items, and I assume event photographers were hired, there were medals etc etc.

frankly Id be amazed if it didnt near enough bankrupt them

I'm pretty sure that insurance cover for such adverse weather would be available. A claim could probably only be made if the Met Office issued a 'Yellow Warning', not just a general forecast of heavy rain or high winds. With regard to the cost of such insurance, I don't know what the statistical probability of a Yellow Warning on a given day in late September is, but I suspect that the cost would only be a relatively small percentage of the entry fee (maybe 5%-10% at most).
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Weather cancellation's a whole load of insurance fun. Ask me how I know when my fishing trip was hurricaned off :(

(Nil, zero, nada, not a bean BTW)
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

It wouldn't make sense for an events company to insure against cancellation due to weather. They are better off absorbing the losses themselves. Cancellation due to weather is a reasonably routine occurrence so plan a 5% budget surplus to cover the occasional loss, rather than pay 10% to an insurance company to cover that loss plus the insurance company profit.