Pannier rack for Boardman disc brakes?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
MyAwesomeUsername

Pannier rack for Boardman disc brakes?

Post by MyAwesomeUsername »

Hi,
Can anyone please advise on a rear pannier rack setup for a road bike with disc brakes? The bike is a Boardman Road Comp and it has mounts at the top of the seat stays. I'm just confused about the fit by the axle, particularly with mudguards already attached. I've included a photo and would be very grateful for advice. I've been looking at a Topeak Super Tourist disc rack but can't find enough info about installation.
Thanks and happy riding.
Attachments
20180922_153843.jpg
rotavator

Re: Pannier rack for Boardman disc brakes?

Post by rotavator »

That rack has built in spacers that should help the legs of the rack to clear the seatstays so it would be worth a try.

Buy it from a company that allows returns just in case it does not fit!

In extremis, you could fit the rack to the quick release skewer but I don't think that this will be necessary. Tubus sell an adapter kit for bikes with tricky disc brakes.
Cosmicbike

Post by Cosmicbike »

FWIW you don't need the disc specific version due to the location of the caliper. I have the non-disc version of the Super Tourist on my Boardman CX Team.
As @rotavator points out, spacers are available. Either that or do what I had on my Van Nic, longer bolts and fit both rack and guards to the same point
531colin

Post by 531colin »

As above, on that bike you can use a "standard" rack, the brake caliper is sensibly mounted so that its out of the way.
I think there are 2 holes in the dropout, so you should be able to fit rack and mudguard in separate holes; this is better than mounting both in one hole, when there is a chance that the rack could work loose.
If it turns out there is only one hole you can use, then mount the guard (either to the frame or to the rack) with stainless "P" clips...https://www.westfieldfasteners.co.uk/A4_PClip_RbbrLnd.html
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Mine is a Heritage Disc - the brake calipers are spyre TRP, they fit into the angle of the says, so my rear rack from an old (cantilever-braked) tourer fits no problem, with no extra spacers etc. Yours looks similar, though whether it would foul the seatstay on your bike is something to check.

Just pop into bike shp and see if they will let you offer-up a selection of racks to make sure.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !