Walking Britain’s lost railways

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
honesty

Walking Britain’s lost railways

Post by honesty »

Anyone watching this programme?

Rather enjoyed the first episode. Apart from now wanting to go cycle the route he walked, it’s really obvious how much is available to be turned into decent cycle routes!
Bonefishblues

Re: Walking Britain’s lost railways

Post by Bonefishblues »

No, missed it having intended to watch. Will have to catch up.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

honesty wrote:Anyone watching this programme?

Rather enjoyed the first episode. Apart from now wanting to go cycle the route he walked, it’s really obvious how much is available to be turned into decent cycle routes!

There is a problem with these routes

They become cycle routes, they become popular as leisure and commuter routes, and some bright spark then decides po put a bus route, road or tram along it

Bristol - Bath and the Bathgate routes are examples
mjr

Post by mjr »

Cunobelin wrote:There is a problem with these routes

They become cycle routes, they become popular as leisure and commuter routes, and some bright spark then decides po put a bus route, road or tram along it

Bristol - Bath and the Bathgate routes are examples

Harding's Way in King's Lynn (part of NCN Route 1 and EV12) is currently under threat from the councils. We've recently successfully defended the Sandringham Railway Path (also Route 1/EV12) from conversion to a road.

One of the more unusual cycle routes nearby is where the A17 took the old railway line through Sutton Bridge, the old road became a cycle track alongside it for the last few miles east of the bridge.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

I very much doubt that anyone would put a bus or tram along the route from Elgin to Portsoy. The whole of that north Buchan coast is one of my favourite routes to meander around.
meic

Post by meic »

There is one very near us. It is quite intermittent though as people have permanently taken possession of bits of it, tunnels are blocked and bridges are demolished.
It was in the Plaid Cymru manifesto to re-open it as a train line if elected.

There was a more local plan to open it up as a footpath between two villages, which pretty much collapsed as there was almost no local demand for walking anywhere. The potential walkers were probably outnumbered by the affected "landowners".
Yma o Hyd
rjb

Post by rjb »

Ive always enjoyed old railway routes. As a teenager i lived in Plymouth and the cycling club often rode the yelverton to Princetown route, also the red lake railway from near Ivybridge https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redlake_Tramway. This was a long time before they became cycle paths. When i retired the first thing i did was to explore local railway lines and infrastructure by bike. Its surprising what one finds.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

The only one I have been on is the Downs lInk that links Guildford to the South Coast
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

South from Caernarvon towards Bryncir is great, Bangor-Bethesda too, most railway paths can be ridden easily on 59" fixed
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

I caught the programme late one night last week and thought it was excellent.
I don't know how many of these type of programmes there'll be, as we've had Julia Bradbury's railway walks, Paul Merton's Lost stations, Tony Robinson's various walks and obviously Michael Portillo's Bradshaw series.
However, this new one had a slightly different feel to it and was very interesting.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Should we perhaps, rather, be campaigning for these trails to be reinstated as railways?

Most of the converted railways round our way, I can't really cycle on, because I only have a couple of road bikes and the surface isn't suitable. But they certainly make excellent routes for the properly-equipped.

We've certainly walked a few of them. Where access is permitted, that is. One significant example, the old Petworth-Midhurst-Chichester line in Sussex, is not a right-of-way along most of its length, sadly. We were once warned off for trespassing - although many walkers do use the route, usually unmolested. The trail passes through several tunnels, and these are definitely a no-no for walkers and cyclists. You wouldn't want to, anyway! At least one of them is sealed off, and I think is used for growing mushrooms.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Well, a good subject for a programme but, as with everything on this channel, too many ads.
After each ad. an explanation of what the show is about.
I'll record the next one so I can skip through the ads and guff.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

661-Pete wrote:Should we perhaps, rather, be campaigning for these trails to be reinstated as railways?

On a double-track formation there is room for one track plus a cycleway
On a single-track formation the new railway could be narrow-gauge plus a cycleway
No need to choose cycles OR trains :wink:
honesty

Post by honesty »

francovendee wrote:Well, a good subject for a programme but, as with everything on this channel, too many ads.
After each ad. an explanation of what the show is about.
I'll record the next one so I can skip through the ads and guff.

watch it on 5 on demand, they dont put the ad breaks in, you just get the trails into and out of them which you can skip through.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

bahntrassenradeln.de