OS bagging

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
tim-b

Re: OS bagging

Post by tim-b »

Hi
...presumably they have a special bit of kit to locate them

Magnetic locator link. The nails might be in the ground for a while and could be covered with mud and foliage; without the increased magnetic field they're quite a small target. The locator is better tool for the job than a metal detector and can do clever stuff like ignore metal fences
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Thanks again Tim, that definitely comes under the ' kit ' heading,

The marker was on the footpath just opposite the lampost in this streetview,which,

has had a no footway sign added to it since the streetview image was taken, strange

since I was stood on the path taking the picture.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.58554 ... 6656?hl=en

P1100706 (482x640).jpg

These threads are more about the journey than the destination, I like 'em, I finally got up this hill

in one go this morning for the first time, I'm trying to improve my climbing by ' doing ' at the moment,

after a recent trip to Yorkshire reminded me how poor it had become ( too many easy flat rides round

West Lanc's).

I saw a freshly hit large hare in the road as well which was quite sobering, poor old thing.
Nu-Fogey
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

There were some unusual wild (?) flowers near this one ( well near anyway ).

P1100703 (640x414).jpg

In the spirit of the thread, I'll find the exact location of the marker and post it back here, with a street

view.

I don't know anything about surveyor's marks but the flowers are cyclamen - wild relatives of those sold as house plants.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
Xilter

Post by Xilter »

I think I hate you all. Ignorance is bliss. I do not know what they are. And I did not know they existed. Now I have to find some

I am highly fascinated and intrigued when I come across “stuff” that has been made longer ago my country ( Canada ) has been known to man.
My poor poor bottom
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Much obliged pedalsheep, I only saw one clump on the whole hill.
Nu-Fogey
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Xilter wrote:I think I hate you all. Ignorance is bliss. I do not know what they are. And I did not know they existed. Now I have to find some

I am highly fascinated and intrigued when I come across “stuff” that has been made longer ago my country ( Canada ) has been known to man.

The area now known as Canada has been inhabited for thousands of years, even the arctic I understand :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
RickH

Post by RickH »

Xilter wrote:I am highly fascinated and intrigued when I come across “stuff” that has been made longer ago my country ( Canada ) has been known to man.

When we had a trip to Canada in 2008 we also ventured down to southern Oregon to visit a cousin of Mrs H's. On one excursion we did a tour of a historic township & I was amused that our house in the UK is older than any of the historic buildings there. :D

As has been already mentioned North America has had an indigenous population for many hundreds of years. And almost certainly had European visitors to the east coast at least as far back as the vikings.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Xilter

Post by Xilter »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Xilter wrote:I think I hate you all. Ignorance is bliss. I do not know what they are. And I did not know they existed. Now I have to find some

The area now known as Canada has been inhabited for thousands of years, even the arctic I understand :wink:

The suble difference of now known as. And known to be. It’s only been Canada since mid-late 1800’s
My poor poor bottom
gaz

Post by gaz »

Took a detour today in search of a fundamental bench mark. Totally failed to find it :( .

Lovely ride, visited a few old haunts and had my first crossing of Peter's Bridge over the Medway :D .

I've found some photos of it online now, not sure how I missed it. I'll have another go sometime.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I was up in the Scottish Borders yesterday and went to visit Hermitage Castle, a place I had last been to

when I was a child over 50 years ago and had made a great, if slightly frightening impression on me.

I spied an OS mark by an entrance, with what looks like a lead plug in it's middle.

Still an impressively grim place.

A bit of History..

https://www.historicenvironment.scot/vi ... e/history/

P1100826 (640x372).jpg

P1100859.JPG

P1100844 (640x480).jpg
Nu-Fogey
RickH

Post by RickH »

Bagged my first benchmarks today.

There don't appear to be any flush brackets close by (I'll have to look for those by bike) but I've been having a browse of the old OS 1:2500 maps (25 inch to the mile), kindly digitised by the National Library of Scotland (link). If you view them as individual sheets you can choose which edition.
I'd caught a glimpse of a couple of them from the car when going past recently but this evening I needed to go & post something that wouldn't fit in our nearest postbox, which has a particularly small slot, so had to venture a bit further afield. A good excuse for a bit of a walk.

In a 2.5 mile walk I found 6 marked on the 1894 edition plus one that only puts in an appearance on the 1929 map. I also found the locations of a few others with varying degrees of certainty, some have definitely gone but I'll need to go back in better light to see if a couple of them are still lurking there.

A slightly surreal experience is that if you load the seamless map on a smartphone & allow the website to access your location you can follow the 100 year old maps with a GPS dot showing your current location! 8)

IMG_2278 (Medium).JPG
colin54

Post by colin54 »

That's a nice crisp mark Rick, I've used those 25'' maps you mention, I use the side by side feature

where there is an aerial shot side by side with the map, you can just scroll the cursor on the map and it

tracks it on the modern landscape. I've used the feature to look at locations of defunct colleries.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by ... ht=BingHyb
Nu-Fogey
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Nice work Rick, well done. Now you're addicted, hooked, unable to cycle, walk or drive without scanning buildings for the benchmarks.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:Nice work Rick, well done. Now you're addicted, hooked, unable to cycle, walk or drive without scanning buildings for the benchmarks.

How right you are! :lol:

I've so far got photos of 8 within a mile or so of home, visited the locations of another half dozen, or more, but not spotted anything - the building or wall is no longer there, the building has been rendered or I need to have a better look. I've also spotted, but not yet stopped at, at least 3 more as I've been driving past.

Slightly further afield I found an unusual one on Saturday (when I was picking Mrs H up after an event at the church) - it was the other way up & seems to be deliberately so.
Benchmark on St Peter's Halliwell<br />(click to enlarge)
Benchmark on St Peter's Halliwell
(click to enlarge)

It only has a short bar across the bottom which puzzled me initially. It wasn't until I looked at the photo that I spotted there is the normal long bar (that would usually be at the top) on the vertical part of the stonework below the rest of the benchmark. It was also tricky to find as it was on the back of the "pillar" feature facing away from the path.
Benchmark location<br />(click to enlarge)
Benchmark location
(click to enlarge)
nick12

Post by nick12 »

Came across a bench mark by accident at the weekend on ilkley moor at Keighley gate head east along the track to the rocks on the horizon. On one of the boulders I spotted this bottom left of boulder photo.
Attachments
WP_20181021_11_22_35_Pro.jpg