Opinions on this motor drive on tyre itself

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Any thoughts on this
https://revolutionworks.com/
Beauty will save the world.
Graham

Re: Opinions on this

Post by Graham »

Guaranteed to rip your tyres to shreds in a few miles.

The underslung dynamos from yesteryear were pretty heavy on the tyre wear.
Even though they were not trying to transfer power to the rear wheel.
They were only in contact with the tyre for short periods of time ( riding in the dark ).
They were positioned, permanently, right in line for the gritty jet of water from the tyre.
stodd

Post by stodd »

Tyre driven mopeds were popular (if you couldn't afford to avoid them) in the 1950's; maybe even into early 60's. I thought I must be able to find some images easily, but couldn't.

That one looks pretty feeble and not that cheap for what it is. The driving surface does look a bit like sandpaper.
hemo

Re: Opinions on this motor drive on tyre itself

Post by hemo »

Expect tyre wear to be a bit higher then normal so depending on how much you engage the system and mileage budget for 1 or 2 new tyres each year.
Friction drives have been done before so it's nothing new that said, the lightest kit only adds 2kg or less to a bike and the larger battery option only adds 0.5kg.
Fitment is easy with just 3 parts to the kit, Revos videos shows ease of kit fitting and and system in use riding hills.
Light weight kit though range will not be great if you want to use for day touring style riding, though this is probably ideal for someone who just wants a bit help on inclines or local short rides/commutes.
Easy to engage the drive on & off with a simple 1/2 back pedal.

24V 250W designed system built in Bristol, completely legal kit with no chance of hacking speed and no throttle option.
Prices tend to be high for these bespoke designed start ups, longevity of start up and back up if company fails is the main issue as these drive systems are notoriously hard to keep a float and achieving required sales to keep a float, in the main most in the ebikes world poo - poo the idea.

Advantages is it's ultra light weight compared to most kits which have a heavier 3kg battery and 3 - 4kg drive motor.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

It’s the lack of weight that interests me to be honest.
My current ebike weighs in excess of 25kg and is quite a handful to manoeuvres at times.
I will watch this with interest to see how it develops.
stodd

Post by stodd »

For lack of weight look at https://www.cytronex.com/.
However, also low capacity battery (not quite as low as revolutionworks), and very expensive.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

stodd wrote:For lack of weight look at https://www.cytronex.com/.
However, also low capacity battery (not quite as low as revolutionworks), and very expensive.

Interesting, thanks. I will investigate.
hemo

Post by hemo »

The first Revos units are due to be shipped in October to backers of the kickstarter.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Graham wrote:Guaranteed to rip your tyres to shreds in a few miles.
No more so than a hard session on a turbo-trainer?
"42"
stodd

Post by stodd »

That depends on whether you run the turbo-trainer in real wet and dirt road conditions. Or, I suppose as long as you only ride your Revo powered bicycle inside the tyre should wear as with a turbo-trainer.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

stodd wrote:That depends on whether you run the turbo-trainer in real wet and dirt road conditions. Or, I suppose as long as you only ride your Revo powered bicycle inside the tyre should wear as with a turbo-trainer.
Fair point! I should also add that putting out 250W continuous is way beyond the realms of fantasy for me nowadays :lol:
"42"
Antonia33

Post by Antonia33 »

Not bad. Looks like a new model has arrived in the market. LOL!
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

They do turbo trainer specific tyres because turbos do wreck your tyres.

The tyre driven motors of old were affectionately (?) called Stink Motors because of the smell of burning rubber they caused.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Solex mopeds with tyre drive used a very heavy tyre due to the tyre wear incurred from the drive.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Due to the low battery capacity the appeal of this unit, as I see it, is for extra help up the hills. However as I see it the drive is permanently engaged with the tyre so will induce drag when not being used as pedalassist. Also there is little information on the power characteristics of the motor. As we know not all "250W" motors are the same. At what speed does this motor produce 250W? Possibly not at hill climbing speed.