Visitors

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
PDQ Mobile

Re: Visitors

Post by PDQ Mobile »

661-Pete wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:I do not share this love of the rabbit.
It is a pretty destructive beasty if one farms or gardens. Though quite tasty.
I didn't say, I love rabbits. Quite the opposite, I think they're a pest too.

But I was making the point that they're here to stay, and they have helped to shape our present-day landscape as we know it. Keeping the numbers down is fine (which is why we need more foxes out in the countryside, rather than foraging rubbish bins in the cities). Totally exterminating the rabbit population, on the other hand, is not on.

I agree and I didn't mean to misquote.

Indeed some places in Europe have reintroduced the Wolf, Lynx and Bear. Quite successfully and sometimes in (or near) areas of moderate human population.
The Wolf has proved the most contentious, not surprisingly, perhaps, though I can't see the average Welsh Sheep Farmer going for it.
I am pretty sure the Lynx would "do" for a fair few rabbits though.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
661-Pete wrote:
I didn't say, I love rabbits. Quite the opposite, I think they're a pest too.

But I was making the point that they're here to stay, and they have helped to shape our present-day landscape as we know it. Keeping the numbers down is fine (which is why we need more foxes out in the countryside, rather than foraging rubbish bins in the cities). Totally exterminating the rabbit population, on the other hand, is not on.

I agree and I didn't mean to misquote.

Indeed some places in Europe have reintroduced the Wolf, Lynx and Bear. Quite successfully and sometimes in (or near) areas of moderate human population.
The Wolf has proved the most contentious, not surprisingly, perhaps, though I can't see the average Welsh Sheep Farmer going for it.
I am pretty sure the Lynx would "do" for a fair few rabbits though.

and a few domestic cats that go wandering
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I remember once, while out walking, coming across a weasel taking out a young rabbit. Even though it was very young, the rabbit still seemed to be two or three times the size of the weasel, but the weasel definitely had the upper hand. I left them to it. I presume the weasel got its dinner!

And don't get me started on that dreadful old joke about stoats and weasels! The latter are definitely quite tiny animals - for all their aggression...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Damn useful in the war.My mother said no matter how scarce meat got there were always plenty of rabbits.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

pete75 wrote:

Damn useful in the war.My mother said no matter how scarce meat got there were always plenty of rabbits.

The rabbit pie from The White Bull at Ribchester was once, long ago, a repast worth cycling many hilly miles for, even in the wind and snow. I used to do it with several mad CTC members who all had Chater-Lee chainsets and even the odd acetylene lamp.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

make sense of this if you will -

"In late winter, squirrels may be seen courting, one, or more, chattering males chasing a female through the tree or across the ground. Females can mate only twice a year, but males may mate at any time. After mating, the male plays no part in the rearing of his young." so we have gay squirrels?

https://www.wildlifeworld.co.uk/k/squirrels
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

mercalia wrote:make sense of this if you will -

"In late winter, squirrels may be seen courting, one, or more, chattering males chasing a female through the tree or across the ground. Females can mate only twice a year, but males may mate at any time. After mating, the male plays no part in the rearing of his young." so we have gay squirrels?

They always look like they're having a good time, certainly. Many play hard-to-get with the collies, who haven't managed to catch one in 12 years.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

mercalia wrote:make sense of this if you will -

My guess is, the various females don't ovulate simultaneously, but at times spread across the year - so amorous males can 'play the field'. But I'm not an expert on squirrel sexual behaviour - nor do I wish to be...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mercalia wrote:so we have gay squirrels?

Red and grey squirrels are both on the list of animals known to exhibit homosexual behaviour.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_m ... avior#List
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well it seems I have atleast 5 grey squirrels that frequent my shared garden and may be 2 that visit me 3 floors up. They do like sunflower seeds, in fact they seem to have bottomless stomachs for them - I got a large batch of 25kg from Ebay at a good price with one of those special Ebay price reductions. Had I known what 25kg looked like and felt like I might have changed my mind...cheaper than buying them at Poundlander at 750grms for £1
cyclemad

Post by cyclemad »

There's a shiny £50 for the first person to get on a Ryanair Flight with an Emotional support miniature horse!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

The cabin crew/staff member complained when I opened a magazine while people were still boarding as '' It was a safety issue '' so I think my money is safe :)
Last edited by cyclemad on 16 Oct 2018, 2:24pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

cyclemad wrote:There's a shiny £50 for the first person to get on a Ryanair Flight with an Emotional support miniature horse!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

The cabin complained when I opened a magazine while people were still boarding as '' It was a safety issue '' so I think my money is safe :)

Why not, originally horses were as small as dogs :wink:

I have a small emotional support teddy that a little girl gave me when I was 30 but I leave her at home
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
cyclemad

Post by cyclemad »

:D :D :D :D :D

Does an emotional support other half qualify ??? :D :D
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

As long as s/he fits in a standard seat

I read about a very fat man who was told he had to pay for two seats
He was allocated one at the front and one at the back :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies