Cycle formula

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
wendy rose

Cycle formula

Post by wendy rose »

Can anyone suggest a touring cycle formula for extra journey time for height climbed please? Something akin to the climbers' Naismith's rule perhaps.
meic

Re: Cycle formula

Post by meic »

Using the same Naismith rule is pretty adequate.
It obviously should be different in that we go down hills fast and effortlessly on a cycle compared to walking, however it doesnt seem to prevent it working. I assume it works because the allowances given for height will be take into account this fact, as they are arrived at empirically rather than theoretically.

As an example 10mph plus 1 hour for every 400m climbed (ignore descent figures) would work pretty well for quite a few touring cyclists.
Obviously the figures need adjusting for each individual and their condition.

Wind is a big factor but generally not bothered with systematically, you could use some rough and ready reckoning by adding or subtracting from the cruising speed. On the whole more hills that you have, the less impact the wind has.

I did use Naismith for predicting my journey times when using purchased mapping on the PC and at the time, after finding my personal "speeds", it was impressively accurate. Since mapping went on-line I stopped using it.
Yma o Hyd
wendy rose

Re: Cycle formula

Post by wendy rose »

Thank you very much meic. Good to read. I will try it .WR.