Disintegrating Brakes

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
tentman

Disintegrating Brakes

Post by tentman »

An old chestnut I know, but....Recently I was caught in 2 days heavy rain fully loaded with all 4 panniers and after about 40 miles, my part worn V-brake blocks had 'dissolved' completely away rendering me brakeless. OK I accept that I maybe should have fitted new blocks before I set out but this would only have increased the 40 miles to about 60. Not finding a cycle shop, I bought some replacements in Wilkinson's ( Wilco) which meant that the sun came out!! Thus I cannot tell you of the durability of Wilco blocks, except that I was very pleased to find them.

When I go to wet and steep Wales in November, fully loaded again, what would you guys recommend as suitable long lasting brake blocks for the trip?
willem jongman

Re: Disintegrating Brakes

Post by willem jongman »

Braking in the rain does indeed make you go though your blocks pretty quickly, but this is very quick indeed. However, wear of the blocks is lesss important than braking power and wear of the rims. In my experience the best blocks for wet weather are Koolstop Salmon. They last pretty long, are kind to the rims, and brake very well in the wet.
Last edited by willem jongman on 3 Oct 2018, 6:25am, edited 1 time in total.
pwa

Post by pwa »

And take spares. They weigh next to nothing and take up no space.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Indeed. I use Magura hydraulic rim brakes, and blocks for these are often hard to get on tour.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Swiss Stop - not cheap but last brilliantly
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Swiss Stop - not cheap but last brilliantly
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Were they the front, rear or both?
tentman

Post by tentman »

Both front and rear. Front wore first as I tend to use that brake most. Thanks for all your input guys - most helpful.