Cycle Travel Question

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Richard Fairhurst

Re: New Route Planner

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

francovendee and geocycle - delighted you're finding it useful!

Sweep - I'm afraid not: the way the routing engine works (basically it pre-calculates all the best routes) means that it's tied to a particular set of weightings. I've explained a bit more in the FAQ section at https://cycle.travel/about/maps . In the very long term I'm looking at alternative routing algorithms but that almost certainly won't be in the next year.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

No probs Richard.

It's a great planner - much appreciated.

I can always manually adapt any bits that don't take my fancy.
Sweep
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Just tried the feature that gives you a suggested return route, Very impressed, I thought I knew most of the options but this turned up something new to me. Really nice quiet route through nice countryside. only one set of busy roads to cross. I wish I'd tried this before.

Thanks Richard
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Can other people see the side bar on the iPhone? I used to be able to see it and I used it to put via points in on my trip to France in September but I now just have a from and to at the top of the page and nowhere to add via points or to check elevation profiles.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

MrsHJ wrote:Can other people see the side bar on the iPhone? I used to be able to see it and I used it to put via points in on my trip to France in September but I now just have a from and to at the top of the page and nowhere to add via points or to check elevation profiles.

I found the iPhone interface more limiting so ended up using my iPad instead (as I had it available). I could not work out how to get the altitude plots on the iPhone. But given it's a much smaller screen then I guess not everything is going to fit on.

Ian
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Psamathe wrote:
MrsHJ wrote:Can other people see the side bar on the iPhone? I used to be able to see it and I used it to put via points in on my trip to France in September but I now just have a from and to at the top of the page and nowhere to add via points or to check elevation profiles.

I found the iPhone interface more limiting so ended up using my iPad instead (as I had it available). I could not work out how to get the altitude plots on the iPhone. But given it's a much smaller screen then I guess not everything is going to fit on.

Ian

Yep- I guess I’m asking if I can see the standard screen instead of an iPhone adapted screen as I have the plus and don’t want to take an iPad on tour. Funnily enough when I was fiddling with it just now I was able to drag the route to do want I wanted it to but I’m not sure how I did it!!
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Psamathe wrote:

Ian

Yep- I guess I’m asking if I can see the standard screen instead of an iPhone adapted screen as I have the plus and don’t want to take an iPad on tour. Funnily enough when I was fiddling with it just now I was able to drag the route to do want I wanted it to but I’m not sure how I did it!!
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

I found using the phone in portrait / landscape mode revealed different menus.

This using a Moto E. Try it on your iphone??

You sometimes have to shut down the app and re-open in the different orientation to make use of the above idea.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

SimonCelsa wrote:I found using the phone in portrait / landscape mode revealed different menus.

This using a Moto E. Try it on your iphone??

You sometimes have to shut down the app and re-open in the different orientation to make use of the above idea.

I found that recently that hasn't worked but maybe the shut down point will help. Mine is an iPhone 8 (or rather work has dished that one out so I prefer to use it!).
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

MrsHJ wrote:
Psamathe wrote:

Ian

Hold your finger on it a white spot with black ring appears, drag it about and watch the route change.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Paulatic wrote:
MrsHJ wrote:
Psamathe wrote:I found the iPhone interface more limiting so ended up using my iPad instead (as I had it available). I could not work out how to get the altitude plots on the iPhone. But given it's a much smaller screen then I guess not everything is going to fit on.

Ian

Hold your finger on it a white spot with black ring appears, drag it about and watch the route change.

Thank you.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

MrsHJ wrote:Funnily enough when I was fiddling with it just now I was able to drag the route to do want I wanted it to but I’m not sure how I did it!!

On my phone, it's double tap on the route, select "add via point", then drag the marker about.
Another option if holding the finger on the route does nothing, as is the case for me.
mjr

Post by mjr »

I know you can click "add description" the first time you save a route but does anyone know if there is a way to add a route description to an existing route, please? I often don't have the pictures and words to describe a route before I've ridden it.

Can you get from a saved route to its description(s) anyway?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

mjr wrote:I know you can click "add description" the first time you save a route but does anyone know if there is a way to add a route description to an existing route, please? I often don't have the pictures and words to describe a route before I've ridden it.

Figured it out. The only way I found seems a bit non-obvious to me but I describe it at https://cycle.travel/post/1892 - in short, use the "write a new posting" link on "my bike" then set options at the bottom of the page.

mjr wrote:Can you get from a saved route to its description(s) anyway?

Still haven't figured this one out, though!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Has anyone figured out how to get the more details than on the route summary? My plans for USA transam section one in May are coming on well and it would be really nice to know how much of my route is on either car free roads and shared bike/car routes and how much is just on roads, I know that cycle,travel knows as it covers it in the turn by turn -I just can’t figure out how to extract the info which would take a long time (ok, not that long- and I’m geeky enough to do it!) for me to do manually over a longish tour. Currently I can see in the summary how much is unpaved which covers some of the trials and how much on major roads but I’d like to reassure family etc how much is actually on bike trails.