Another GPS question!!

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Another GPS question!!

Post by Mick F »

That looks like a MacBookAir! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Mick F wrote:That looks like a MacBookAir! :D

I don't know what that is.
Bez

Post by Bez »

That's definitely not a MacBook, but I'm reluctant to get into a debate with Mick about what can and can't be seen in any given photograph :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'm wrong.
It's not a MBA. :oops:
Mick F. Cornwall
pq

Post by pq »

Back to my point about USB terminals on GPS units. Others have already outlined why they're not necessary, but just to add that their failure is very consistent. First the ability to connect to a computer dies, so you can't up or download anything. They remain chargeable for a long time after that, so the unit isn't entirely useless.

Replaceable batteries don't really solve anything because you still need to connect to a computer. Also modern li-ion batteries are far superior to rechargeable AA or AAA cells. However there's a lot to be said for very simple GPS units. I have a Geko 301 which runs on a couple of AAA batteries and it seems indestructible, unlike the umpteen more modern Garmins I have, all based on the Edge 800 but running different firmware.

Garmin are just being cheapskates by not updating their design.
One link to your website is enough. G
tim_f

Post by tim_f »

The USB port on my Garmin stopped charging whilst I was on tour across Germany in June. But I found that if i pushed away from the body that it made contact and chanrged. So then I found if I inserted a wedge between the body and the plug it charged. Then I taped a small bit of plastic ( I had the same day broken my plastic spork so I used a bit of the fork prong) to the plug. This modified plug now makes good contact and it now charges. Got to the end of that tour ok and another 10 day tour in September.

Lots of people I met on September trip (Torino Nice Rally) had swopped from Garmin's to Whaoo Bolt and were very happy with the Bolt.
Bolt appears to have long enough bateerty life to last a 12 hour touring day with out needing charging from a battery pack. I suspect that charging whilst riding off road is what has damaged the USB post on my Garmin.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I've had an Edge 305, an Edge 705, and an Edge 20, plus I have a Montana.
Going back to 2006 for that lot, and the Montana has been in almost daily use since I bought it in 2013.

All have a USB connection to the computer, and none of them have ever had an issue with connection or with the supplied Garmin leads.
Mick F. Cornwall
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Replaceable batteries don't really solve anything because you still need to connect to a computer.

Lost me there. Why would I need to connect to computer on tour? Replaceable batteries can be bought almost everywhere, so they are a big plus for me.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

pq wrote:Also modern li-ion batteries are far superior to rechargeable AA or AAA cells.
If they are so superior, how come an Edge 800 only lasts 1/2 to 1/3 as long as an Etrex with a pair of Eneloops in?
Bez

Post by Bez »

Because it's much smaller.
mjr

Post by mjr »

bigjim wrote:I take an older version of one of these on tour. Paid a £1 for it. It does the job.

It's not worth a pound. The grey flip-down two battery chargers are a very inefficient model. Prod it with a multimeter. The white spring clip ones (extend to insert the battery and then the spring holds it) will charge one cell in less than a third of the time that takes for two. Not a concern if you always have mains, but if you ever recharge off solar, dynamo or cache battery, it matters!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

I have said it before, my Etrex 30 lasts 4-6 days on a pair of quality AA rechargeables (Ansmann 2500 low self discharge type). I upload the tracks for my tour before I leave, and for a typical for me 2-3 week tour all I need is a bunch of spare rechargeables in my bag. I find that far more convenient than taking some kind of charger and charging every night as some users of the more powerful units have to do. And yes the screen is small and quite dark, but I really do not need to use it that much. The new Etrex 30x has a nicer screen and is apparently a bit faster, but I don't know about battery use.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

The grey flip-down two battery chargers are a very inefficient model.

Yes, my older version is the white one. I also always have mains, in a B&B, Hostel or toilet block, so no worries. Well worth it.
robing

Post by robing »

Get a Wahoo Bolt. The design and functionality are superb, the monochrome screen is super sharp and clear in sunlight. The battery life is phenomenal.
Bez

Post by Bez »

It's got a number of weaknesses, though, especially for navigation. And there are Garmin and Lezyne devices which will match or beat it for battery life.