Cytronex C1 system

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
subandean

Cytronex C1 system

Post by subandean »

Considering an e-bike to help on the many local hills.
Are there any users who could offer advice on fitting and using the Cytronex C1 system.
Thanks
stodd

Re: Cytronex C1 system

Post by stodd »

I can't answer directly, but a few comments.

The Cytronex is (I understand) an excellent system, I've not used one. It has a huge advantage of being relatively light

There are some downsides that might mean it isn't for you ... you didn't say exactly how you expect to use it.
1) It is expensive for the battery size/power.
2) The battery is fairly low capacity; short range. You can carry a spare, but that makes it even more expensive.
3) It is front hub driven, which means the motor can't take advantage of the gears. This means it gives less assist as you slow down on hills. On the plus side, it makes it easier to install.

(3) is not a disaster. We have a similar power motor on the front of our tandem. It means we sill need very low gear (we are 71/65) to get all the way up steepish hills (Winchester, home of Cytronex, no really steep ones here).

Also consider kits from the likes of Woosh (excellent customer service and advice, http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?hubkits). Sadly, many of their kits are unavailable right now as they have run out of appropriate controllers.
And look and ask on the pedelecs forum (http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/forums/electric-bike-conversion-kits.42/)
Ivorcadaver

Post by Ivorcadaver »

I have just acquired a Cytronex (see my previous thread) and fitted it to my Pinnacle Arkrose (lightish cyclocross type). It arrived yesterday and there was a problem with the supplied USB stick (which contains all the fitting instructions as pdfs), I e mailed them at around 7:00pm and had an instant response with all the files attached (10/10 for customer service! This was Friday evening). I fitted the kit this morning and it took about an hour; 30 minutes of which was related to fitting a Schwalbe Marathon to the new rim. It worked perfectly straight off. Its a very simple system with no LCD display just a simple button that scrolls through the three power assist levels, which I really like. I used it in anger this evening for an 8 mile round trip for the weekly shop. I have never had electric assist before and the experience was quite surreal; legs suddenly have acquired superman powers. It was all very smooth and cycling up a 15% gradient with 15kg of shopping in the panniers in a unfeasibly high gear without breaking sweat is quite a giddy experience. The battery still showing green after 8 miles i.e fully charged so all good so far. My only niggle is the front wheel definitely has a bit of resistance without power; I'll check out possible (disk) brake or mudguard rub tomorrow.

The real test will come on Monday with my 26 mile round trip commute between Bolton and Manchester which is all up hill on the way home, which is the primary reason for going electric. Further reports to follow.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Ivorcadaver wrote:<SNIP>The real test will come on Monday with my 26 mile round trip commute between Bolton and Manchester which is all up hill on the way home, which is the primary reason for going electric. Further reports to follow.

Please do, I'm interested.
Beauty will save the world.
subandean

Post by subandean »

Thanks for your report, installation sounds straight forward.
I was in Winchester and visited their shop a few years ago and the staff were helpful although I wasn't looking for an e-bike then.
I would like the battery assist for the hills, the rest of the time I am happy to ride unassisted as I have a very comfortable, quality bike I want to keep. Am interested to know how far you can expect on a a battery charge.
I look forward to reading your post commute update.
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

Ivorcadaver wrote:I have just acquired a Cytronex <SNIP>.

I note that you are using disc brakes. Did you get a wheel with disc or did you fit your own disc? If the latter, is it a six bolt arrangement?
Ivorcadaver

Post by Ivorcadaver »

Fitted my own disc, very easy just need a Torx bit for my Shimano discs
Ivorcadaver

Post by Ivorcadaver »

It has been quite a momentous week for me; my first 5 days with the Cytronex electric motor kit and in my professional capacity I have been project managing the commissioning of a Navya autonomous shuttle bus at the University of Salford. Two very interesting perspectives on sustainable transport.

Firstly the Cytronex, I have fitted it to a relatively lightweight cyclocross cross bike (approx 10kg Pinnacle Arkrose), although a lifelong cyclist since the age of 4 but approaching my 60th birthday, I wanted an easier life for my 12.5 mile each way commute between Bolton and Salford. Fitting the kit was very easy, took about 30 mins and worked first time. Its all very well engineered and feels very robust. My main concern was battery capacity since I wanted to do the return trip with just one recharge over night. I follow the main roads (A6 and 'East Lancs') and the the route is a 450ft descent with a few ups and downs. Going to work I generally average 15-18mph (without electric assist) so not much electric assistance required, coming home is a different matter (tired, uphill, always a headwind....) so 10-12mph is about par for the course.

With electric assist: Its much easier as long as I stick to 15 mph (electric assist cuts out at 15.5mph) No problem with battery life - generally returning home on with 50-25% battery remaining. Today was a major test; 20 mph headwind into work, picked up 15kg of shopping on the way home but still got home with 25% battery capacity. Overall a great bit of kit, the only down side is its a bit pricey.

Autonomous vehicles: have a look at https://navya.tech/en/autonom-shuttle/. During our commissioning today we were mobbed by students and couldn't move because of the crowds; they all wanted a ride and the general verdict was 'cool'.