Rehook

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mick F
Spambuster

Rehook

Post by Mick F »

What's it actually for?
https://www.rehook.bike

I saw the gadget in the Cycle Mag, and looked at their website. Watch the movie.

Why put your chain on using a Rehook on the top run of the chain?
Am I missing something here?
How can I have lived my whole cycling life without needing a tool for replacing an unshipped chain?

I put chains on from the bottom. Always have done. It makes complete logical sense.
You don't need a tool, you just put your chain on the bottom of the ring and turn the cranks backwards and you don't need to lift your rear wheel.
I always thought that that's what everyone did with an unshipped chain, but I'm obviously wrong.

Off out riding shortly, and hopefully I won't have an unshipped chain! :D
Back to this thread later today!
Mick F. Cornwall
Bonefishblues

Re: Rehook

Post by Bonefishblues »

Because no bletch (one for BP's new words, perhaps?) on fingers, presumably?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

But why the TOP run?
I can understand that people have manky chains - that's another subject of course - but why spend a tenner on a bit of plastic when a small 10p screwdriver would do the same on the bottom run of the chain!
Mick F. Cornwall
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Mick F wrote:But why the TOP run?
I can understand that people have manky chains - that's another subject of course - but why spend a tenner on a bit of plastic when a small 10p screwdriver would do the same on the bottom run of the chain!

Capitalism, innit! Ideal gift from Auntie Doris to young Bobby. I was bought those kinds of thing in my youth (albeit mine was called Aunty Joan) :D
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

The bottom :shock:
40 years Cycling and i never thought of that ...DOH !!
Amazing how suddenly something makes sense .......
Never mind the screwdriver, any item of my multi tool will do ...
The Bottom !!! :?
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

My chain doesn't fall off so I guess I don't need one......

.....thinks... ......Ah! With all that re-cyclable plastic we're now dredging out of the sea and other places of interest,not to mention motorway verges,we'll need to do something with it,so why not re-hook it(see wot I did there?)using up more resourses to make more re-cyclable plastic so some (a)unt(ie)repeneur(Doris)can give the world something else it doesn't need

PS,I can feel the point of Rehook in my top lip as I speak..........
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

reohn2 wrote:......

PS,I can feel the point of Rehook in my top lip as I speak..........

It's your wallet they're trying to hook. If they hook you they'll toss you back, as you will once more fill your wallet and be ready for another hooking later, with a different "fly".

I have been hooked, wallet-thinned and tossed back loadsa times. I have even learnt something of the art myself and can e-bay with the best of them! ................. Would you like to buy a lovely back wheel with a Suntour Superbe hub, Mavic ceramic rim and 36 gloriously strong spokes, which has travelled only 100 miles? It gleams like anything and will make every other participant at the Old Fogey Rally green with envy!

We older fish have learnt another trick ... buy flies that last forever so you don't get tempted by a new one, even if it has been tied a bit different. When you get bored with the everlasting fly, employ it as e-bay bait yourself.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I'm playing some 'fish' ATM whilst at the same time trying not to bite and get hooked myself... ...however in the beginning(the first book)He said let there be light and there was light .......... .......pesky flies,sometime I get something stuck in them which really makes me howl :shock: :?
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote:I'm playing some 'fish' ATM whilst at the same time trying not bite and get hooked myself... ...however in the beginning(the first book)He said let there be light and there was light .......... .......pesky flies :?

If I know you, you've been buying the entire UK stock of these inspired widgets on the QT. You have previous, after all :D
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I'm playing some 'fish' ATM whilst at the same time trying not bite and get hooked myself... ...however in the beginning(the first book)He said let there be light and there was light .......... .......pesky flies :?

If I know you, you've been buying the entire UK stock of these inspired widgets on the QT. You have previous, after all :D

Only if they're cheap enough and can be baited up......
W H Auden
robgul

Post by robgul »

a) can't remember the last time the chain fell off any of my bikes
b) plastic/nitrile gloves in the saddle pouch - 5 quid a hundred on ebay

Solution looking for a problem.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

robgul wrote:Solution looking for a problem.
Absolutely!

Home now.
Only 18odd miles done but lots and lots of hills.
Done it on Moulton as it has lots of low gears. Not one issue with unshipping the chain off the triple to the inner.

Mercian OTOH with a full Campag Triple system, does suffer a few unships off the inner onto the BB. I've actually sussed it these days, by not doing it too quickly and not doing it too late. Shift to the inner when NOT too far up the block. Don't wait until the last minute, and there's no problem at all.

As for the Rehook, the idea is a tenner completely wasted.
I'd rather spend it on beer. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Post by rjb »

robgul wrote:a) can't remember the last time the chain fell off any of my bikes
b) plastic/nitrile gloves in the saddle pouch - 5 quid a hundred on ebay

Solution looking for a problem.

Rob

Save a fiver and spend it in a cafe and use those free ones available at the petrol pump. Good for waterproofing your gloves in the rain but no good for anything other than single use. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

I can see hipster London Commuters buying them by the hat full.
Surgical Gloves(I always carry a pair) are all that’s needed if you want to keep hands clean.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

landsurfer wrote:The bottom :shock:
40 years Cycling and i never thought of that ...DOH !!
Amazing how suddenly something makes sense .......
Never mind the screwdriver, any item of my multi tool will do ...
The Bottom !!! :?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall