** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by pete75 »

Something humorous about it then....

'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:In reply to my statement, we still have negativity here, not optimism.

No brexit voter has yet given me cause for optimism,because not one on this forum or anywhere else I've read or heard given any positive reasons for leaving.
I am aware that other folk have different opinions, and I appreciate that they have, and I hear and read these. No complaints about different opinions or thoughts. This is a discussion forum

It's the brexit supporters job to convince half of the country, 'the remnants' as one sarcastic poster on this thread calls us,that brexit is a good thing for the country.So far it hasn't been forthcoming!

It's going to happen. Leaving the EU is a definite.
Make some optimistic statements please, not harping on that we shouldn't have voted to leave in the first place.

Over and out.

Brexit is the biggest descision this country has made since WW2 and it's a wrong descision IMHO.
If brexit voters are so convinced it's the right choice they wouldn't be a minute at being able to convince people,as it is they not capable of that fact because they don't have a convincing argument of facts to back it up.
OTOH remain voters know why they voted in the way they did and have convincing arguments to back it up,many of those reasons have been stated catagorically and in depth in the 500 pages of this thread,I've yet to see their arguments challenged effectively with fact or reason from brexit supporters.
To cap that the negotiations from the UK side with the EU has been a shambles from start to present,and doesn't look set to impove to the end when we do leave which will possibly leave a nasty taste in the mouth of the EU,and inturn won't bode well for the UK.
Negative?
Your right I'm feeling negative,and it's no wonder.
The UK public was sold a pup by liars and charlatans with only their own self interest at heart and as a result the UK will reap the whirlwind for years to come!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Brexit voters dont have to convince anyone of anything. They formed the majority in a Referendum which voted Leave. The result is being implimented. Those unused to observing hard negotiation should keep calm and carry on…

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Vote Leave violated election campaign laws.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

If we're close to a deal, as the noises off are suggesting, what deal are we close to. Anyone have the slightest idea?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:If we're close to a deal, as the noises off are suggesting, what deal are we close to. Anyone have the slightest idea?

No I don't.
Though Al and others seems happy to put his faith in those negotiating that deal on our behalf,personally I wouldn't trust them to organise the proverbial in a brewery :?
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote:Brexit voters dont have to convince anyone of anything. They formed the majority in a Referendum which voted Leave. The result is being implimented. Those unused to observing hard negotiation should keep calm and carry on…

Al

That is one arrogant stance.
W H Auden
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Vorpal wrote:Vote Leave violated election campaign laws.

Both campaigns did and since 99% of voters didnt fund or support them thats irrelavent. Hows things in Norway which is not a member of the EU?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

al_yrpal wrote:Brexit voters dont have to convince anyone of anything. ...…

Al

Least of all themselves. Why bother with reason, logic, experience, consideration, rationales or other modes of decision making when you can just scratch a prejudice-itch, no matter how much you bleed afterwards or how infected the wound becomes?

In this case, ignorance is sin since it's wilful ignorance. You had a duty as a citizen but you preferred to indulge in other sorts of behaviour.

But suppose I'm wrong and you have several cogent reasons for your vote to leave. Why not present them in a humane attempt to enlighten those of a more careful and conservative (little "c") nature who fear the storm of revolution? Are you happy to dismiss us all as mere fools not worth the effort? After all, many a remainer has done their utmost to present you with a whole host of apparently good reasons for staying in the EU, even if many also recognise the imperfections of that organisation.

Could it be you are embarrassed at having been a mere puppet of The Daily Frightener and some Russian trolls employing various bogeyman stories that you were daft enough to swallow with the sinker and line as well as the hook? I have my suspicions!

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

al_yrpal wrote:

Both campaigns did and since 99% of voters didnt fund or support them thats irrelavent. Hows things in Norway which is not a member of the EU?

Al

Things are good here in Norway, which is not a member of the EU. Except that Norway has access to the common market, because they pay to do so. They also (have to) accept EU immigrants under exactly the same conditions as all other common market countries. That's why I get to live here.

Norway is at a disadvantage in some industries because they cannot contribute to EU standards and directives. That only impacts 5ish million people here, and does not have a significant impact on Norway's strongest industries, which are mainly overseen by other standards (e.g. oil & gas, maritime, aerospace).

Among the things that they do well, which would have been limited by joining the EU are fisheries and agriculture. They also do a better job of protecting consumers from dodgy practices when it comes to food ingredients.

These are some of the reasons that I did not start out strongly opposed to Brexit. I could see some advantages to Brexit, but I do not see the British government taking advantage of those. I sincerely hope that they do.

I have yet to see other reasons for Brexit, which are backed up by evidence, instead of conspiracy theories.

As for any Remain campaigns violating election finance law, show me where. You mentioning it here is the first I've seen of it. I'm interested to know know which & how laws were violated, and by whom.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

al_yrpal wrote:

Al

Why do you ask?

The answer is surely complex and not simplistic DM tripe!

One thing that I know is that Norway is within the free movement, passport free Schengen Area.
It is also a small country of 6 million? folk; oil rich and has a sensible and progressive Govt. that has used those same oil revenues to invest in infrastucture for the future.
Which contasts pretty heavily to our narrow minded jingoistic Govt.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Vorpal wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:

Al

I have yet to see other reasons for Brexit, which are backed up by evidence, instead of conspiracy theories.

As for any Remain campaigns violating election finance law, show me where. You mentioning it here is the first I've seen of it. I'm interested to know know which & how laws were violated, and by whom.

Yes, citation please.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

al_yrpal wrote:Brexit voters dont have to convince anyone of anything. They formed the majority in a Referendum which voted Leave. The result is being implimented. Those unused to observing hard negotiation should keep calm and carry on…

Al

The result is being more than implemented. My ballot paper asked only about membership of the EU. It did not ask about the leaving the Single Market, nothing about leaving theCustoms Union, nothing about ending Freedom of Movement, nothing about the ECJ etc.

The result of the referendum has been taken by more extreme MPs and is being used as a justification to add-in all their ideological misunderstandings that the electorate were not asked about.

Ian
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Vorpal wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:

Al

Things are good here in Norway, which is not a member of the EU. Except that Norway has access to the common market, because they pay to do so. They also (have to) accept EU immigrants under exactly the same conditions as all other common market countries. That's why I get to live here.

Norway is at a disadvantage in some industries because they cannot contribute to EU standards and directives. That only impacts 5ish million people here, and does not have a significant impact on Norway's strongest industries, which are mainly overseen by other standards (e.g. oil & gas, maritime, aerospace).

Among the things that they do well, which would have been limited by joining the EU are fisheries and agriculture. They also do a better job of protecting consumers from dodgy practices when it comes to food ingredients.

These are some of the reasons that I did not start out strongly opposed to Brexit. I could see some advantages to Brexit, but I do not see the British government taking advantage of those. I sincerely hope that they do.

Norway's almost a case on its own though, given the enormous resources it has when compared to its population, running a significant surplus each and every year - it's almost immune to the normal economic vicissitudes suffered by other economies.

Well, tbf it does have some headwinds:https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/27/norways-1-trillion-sovereign-wealth-fund-suffers-first-quarter-losses.html :lol:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

What I find utterly amasing is that a 1.9% swing of people who voted for brexit has brexit supporters on this thread arrogantly unable to give any substantial reason for their desicion other than 'I don't like the EU","I don't like immigration", "Germany wants to rule the world" and "I want a hard brexit".
The claims of "taking back sovereignty" seem to have diminished as the realisation dawns that we already have it.

All in the face of facts that by being in the EU we know where we stand,we have a voice to change things through our MEP's,frictionless trade,high food and environmental standards free movement throughout the block and a host of other things too numerous to mention.

The brexit stance becomes more bizarre the more I read brexit supporters posts on this thread and elsewhere.
W H Auden