Waterproof Spray

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
AlastairS

Waterproof Spray

Post by AlastairS »

Hi, My waterproof trousers (Sprayway) I bought over 10 years ago. They are not waterproof on my thighs when I'm cycling. Just wonder has anyone tried those waterproof Sprays in a can. Did it work? How long would one of those 400ml cans last ? Thanks
100%JR

Re: Waterproof Spray

Post by 100%JR »

It's often the DWR that wears off in time.Re-proof them with Nikwax or Grangers wash-in proofer?

I've used the sprays on Rucksacks but not sure it would be breathable on clothing?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Depending on the fabric and the way it has been waterproofed, it may be possible to revive the treatment by washing then tumble drying or possibly ironing. Unfortunately, after that period of time the washing instructions may be illegible or missing.

==========================================================================
PS The instructions in a Rohan jacket include:-
TO RESTORE WATER REPELLENCY COOL TUMBLE DRY OR COOL IRON
AlastairS

Post by AlastairS »

Hi, infact they are Altura waterproof trousers. They are in pretty good condition.they have reinforced knees and insixe legs close to the bkttom bracket area.it has taped seems and all look in good condition. The insides are a shell material. Looks like Goretex but it isnt. I do have that Nikwax washin liquid, but i am hesitant to use it as i beleive it is not good to soak ones waterproofs. As for the spray, i dont mind if it makes the fabric next to my thighs non breathable. If the spray stops the water getting in thats mor import to me. Thanks
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Most manufacturers recommend the wash in treatment as it replenishes the DWR so I can’t understand your reluctance to soak them?
I have a 16 year old Berghaus walking coat(3-layer Gortex) that gets treated once a year and it’s like new!I was going to replace it last year but George Fisher in Keswick tested mine and said it was 95% effective.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If these are a Goretex type construction, ie with a waterproof membrane then the problem may be condensation rather than leaking, especially as you seem confident that the garment is sound.

In this type of garment, the membrane provides the impermeability and the outer fabric protects the membrane. If the outer fabric is soaked - I think "wetted out" is the expression they use - it will affect the breathability of the membrane and cause condensation, which is wetness inside the garment, giving the impression it is leaking. This is a particular problem on cycling garments which get wet on the front and the condensation only forms inside the wet areas.

To prevent the outer layer becoming wet through, it's treated to make the surface waxy, so water droplets form on the surface and run off.

You can check if the garment is leaking by using it to line a colander so the outer surface of the garment forms a bowl. Not quite so easy with trousers as a jacket, so it may need improvising. I suspect you are right that the garment is sound and it will hold the water. If there is a leak through the membrane, then no amount of spraying etc will stop it. Some sort of patch is the only answer. If there's no leak then that suggests condensation and treatment of the outside layer of fabric, either by ironing etc or spraying with a suitable treatment should help.
AlastairS

Post by AlastairS »

Thank you for replies. I now notice that one of the tapes on the inside of one of the legs has come away completely. I am tryi g to remember from a while ago when my laps were wet, but i am sure that the wtness was not condensation, but water getting in. I will try the bowl test later and report back. I do not know if tbere is a membrane present. The underside of the tapes appear to have a white plossibly plaztic type coating. I will try the bowl test and let hou know in a day or so the desults. Thanks
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If the seam tape has come adrift from a Goretex-type membrane then the seam will almost inevitably leak. The tapes are applied specifically to waterproof the seams. AFAIK, re-taping the seam is the only answer to a leak at a seam. No amount of spray etc will cure it.
AlastairS

Post by AlastairS »

Many thanks. I'm pretty sure both of my laps were wet yet one of the legs has all tapes in place. I will do the test or cycle in the wet and report back.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

If you know the make of the items - you say Altura?- maybe thier web site will have th care instructions on it.

Grangers or Fabsil are the usual products to use. For my waterproof jackets, I wsh them as per the instructions,then when dry put them on a hanger and spray with waterproofer.

Goretex and similar products are not a waterproof outer but a membrane layer which allows passage of moisture outwards but stops it going inwards (sort of), and can be clogged(or something) by attempts at waterproofing, which is why, for example, walking boots with goretex liners even if leather are not treated with the traditional proofers ("Dubbin") but need modern waterproofers applied to the outer surface.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Here's the maths;

If purchase price divided by years of use is < price of re-proofer .. bin them, buy new.

Those of us in the MAC world .... where's the divide symbol on the keyboard ???
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
AlastairS

Post by AlastairS »

Think I will just buy a new pair.
Anyone recommend something up to about £40? Thanks
RickH

Post by RickH »

AlastairS wrote:Think I will just buy a new pair.
Anyone recommend something up to about £40? Thanks

I bought some Marmot PreCip overtrousers, primarily for walking, a few years ago but found they work well enough on the bike. They are a slimmer fit on the legs than some, probably because the full length zips (as in the side of each leg separates completely like a jacket zip) so they don't need so much space to get your feet through & you don't have to worry about taking shoes off.

If you shop around you can find them for around £40 (I think I paid less). A very quick look gave this Amazon link (but I note they don't give a choice of leg lengths which other, more expensive, options give).
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.