Campagnolo power torque pedal gap

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
SmilerGB

Campagnolo power torque pedal gap

Post by SmilerGB »

Just a quick query I noticed this on my bike, is this normal for Campagnolo to have this gap ?
Last edited by SmilerGB on 7 Oct 2018, 6:59pm, edited 1 time in total.
The bicycle is a simple solution to some of the world's most complicated problems.
Brucey

Re: Campagnolo power torque pedal gap

Post by Brucey »

not really. I suspect either the LH crank is not on far enough or the BB shell is narrower than it should be (eg less than 68mm wide)

In the gap you can see the splines and the wave washer that is used to preload the LH bearing. The latter looks as if it isn't squashed enough, which tallies with the gap being wider than it should be.

If the crank is on securely then probably the best cure is a ~1mm spacer between the LH cup and the frame.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SmilerGB

Post by SmilerGB »

Ok thanks for the info.
The bicycle is a simple solution to some of the world's most complicated problems.
gfk_velo

Post by gfk_velo »

Brucey wrote:not really. I suspect either the LH crank is not on far enough or the BB shell is narrower than it should be (eg less than 68mm wide)

In the gap you can see the splines and the wave washer that is used to preload the LH bearing. The latter looks as if it isn't squashed enough, which tallies with the gap being wider than it should be.

If the crank is on securely then probably the best cure is a ~1mm spacer between the LH cup and the frame.

cheers

Is the crankset a double, or a triple?
On the triples, there is an additional 2mm washer required on the non-drive-side.

Minimum bracket width for PowerTorque is 67.2 mm so the BB shell would need to be a long way out of tolerance to give a gap this big ...
Head Technician and Director, Velotech Cycling Ltd,
Nationwide modular mechanic's training in all bicycle types
Campagnolo's main factory-appointed UK Technical and Service Centre
SmilerGB

Post by SmilerGB »

It’s a double, might have to measure it, bought the bike second hand last year & only just noticed this.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

This Campag' video shows assembly:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1_3smRyk-w

At 1.30 minutes it shows a washer being fitted that is not shown on another diagram I have seen.
I could imagine the crank not being pushed far enough on if this is missing. maybe :roll:
You'll never know if you don't try it.
SmilerGB

Post by SmilerGB »

Just went to check the size & to see if the left hand crank would push in & found the nut loose enough to undo by hand.

Note to self check tightness before thinking worse case scenario.

Thanks for all the info/input/advice, greatly appreciated.