Rehook

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
meic

Re: Rehook

Post by meic »

It saves oily hands ,the need to carry gloves or a clear understanding of the operation of a front mech.

Only for a tiny fraction of the times these could happen.
Oily hands can result from no end of bike issues, the gloves can be needed for much more than unshipped chains and understanding front mechs has more utility than the reshipping trick.
Yma o Hyd
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

robgul wrote:a) can't remember the last time the chain fell off any of my bikes
b) plastic/nitrile gloves in the saddle pouch - 5 quid a hundred on ebay

Solution looking for a problem.

Rob

Rob gul sums it up with sense.
scottg

Post by scottg »

Park Tools makes a neat rehook/tyre lever combo tool. :)
(ignore dodgy patches)

ad529746-7b38-436e-8ad8-5ce52ee5fb97.jpg
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Is that really what the Park Tool hooks are for? I thought they were for hooking around a spoke in some elaborate tyre-removal ritual that I have never performed.
meic

Post by meic »

I have never had to do it on a cycle tyre.
On car and motorbike tyres I can only manage by using multiple levers, some of which are left in place tucked under a spoke while you work on the next lever.
Yma o Hyd
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Samuel D wrote:Is that really what the Park Tool hooks are for? I thought they were for hooking around a spoke in some elaborate tyre-removal ritual that I have never performed.

I'm sure you're right. That's certainly the way I've used them. I'm pretty sure scottg is joking. :)
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

andrew_s wrote:Whilst I don't doubt that the Rehook would do it better (the chain won't fall off the end of the twig, for a start)...

clearly what the world needs is new, improved, er,

.... twigs.... :wink:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CyclingGuy

Post by CyclingGuy »

Bmblbzzz wrote:I'm sure you're right. That's certainly the way I've used them. I'm pretty sure scottg is joking. :)

I don't think he is joking - I use the hooky bits on my no-brand tyre lever for exactly the same thing.
Read about my adventures on the British Cycle Quest at: http://www.quest.nwarwick.co.uk
mark a.

Post by mark a. »

Mick F wrote:I put chains on from the bottom. Always have done. It makes complete logical sense.
You don't need a tool, you just put your chain on the bottom of the ring and turn the cranks backwards and you don't need to lift your rear wheel.
I always thought that that's what everyone did with an unshipped chain, but I'm obviously wrong.

FWIW, one of the videos on the Rehook site mentions that you shouldn't pedal backwards with a loose chain since the derailleur and sprockets smash into each other. I sort of see the point, but I'd have to have a go with my bike to see how much of an issue it actually is.

My question is whether this would work for my wife's ex-postie bike. It's a Sturmey 3-speed with a tensioner, and I'm not sure the Rehook would be able to pull the tensioner forward and get the chain on at the same time.

Obviously the real question is why the chain came off in the first place, so I ought to have a look at that first.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

mark a. wrote:
My question is whether this would work for my wife's ex-postie bike. It's a Sturmey 3-speed with a tensioner, and I'm not sure the Rehook would be able to pull the tensioner forward and get the chain on at the same time.

Obviously the real question is why the chain came off in the first place, so I ought to have a look at that first.

the tensioner on a pashley is one that often can't be pulled forwards into the normal position by pulling on the chain alone; you need to hold the tensioner with one hand and remount the chain with the other, or something like that. It is sometimes possible to mount the chain on the chainwheel and sprocket and then hook the tensioner over the chain, but not always

this setup has some oddities;

- the guide plates either side of the tension pulley can break
- the pulley bushing is a bit poor
- the chain often needs a half-link to be set up properly (in the picture is OK for now, but it may only have a few weeks left in it before it 'flips')
- when the chain gets a bit worn the tensioner can suddenly flip about 180 degrees
- when the tensioner flips, it can (if a larger sprocket is fitted) contact the sprocket and smash itself to bits

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

mark a. wrote:FWIW, one of the videos on the Rehook site mentions that you shouldn't pedal backwards with a loose chain since the derailleur and sprockets smash into each other.
They would say that, wouldn't they.

Never ever happened with any bike I've ever re-fitted a chain on. Not just all my bikes over the years, but people who I've helped out. Never ever happened.
andrew_s wrote: .......... It's £13, rather than free
It's £9.99 in Cycle.
The advert says to enter the code: XMAS999

It's still a tenner completely wasted.
Mick F. Cornwall
mark a.

Post by mark a. »

Thanks Brucey. I was thinking the same thing - it's probably a two-handed (or two-tooled) job for the chain + tensioner. Perhaps I should buy 2 Rehooks :? :lol: Thanks for the tips for me to look at for the chain-dropping. I think the chain might drop when back-pedalling.
Chris Ince

Post by Chris Ince »

Just seen this on Dragons Den, waste of money. I always carry surgical gloves in my small saddle tool bag on the rare occasion the chain derails. But then I wear cycling gloves so no dirty greasy fingers. But the urbanites will buy them and then someone will knick them in a second and sell them on Ebay.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Just seen it as well, couldnt believe my eyes and they were all queing up to invest. What a bunch of plonkers springs to mind. :lol: I carry those free gloves that are available at any petrol station or find a twig nearby. Plenty of twigs and petrol stations even in urban towns and cities. And you can usually use your front mech to push the chain back for the infrequent time it happens. I have only had a couple of incidents of having a chain unship and that was the timing chain on the tandem when i failed to adjust it taught enough. my own fault and replaced in a couple of minutes and kept my hands clean using the gloves i carry.
And they double up as a waterproof cover when its raining.

Dragons den here i come. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

A Bic biro does the job too and it's useful for writing in a pinch. :wink: