Cycle - You must be banned or poor

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cugel

Re: Cycle - You must be banned or poor

Post by Cugel »

Si wrote:When you think about it: if the human race were given a task whereby they had to all work together and do massive engineering and social projects in order to destroy the climatic balance of an entire planet you'd laugh and say it couldn't be done. Yet if you tasked them to merely stop doing some stuff that will spell doom for everyone if they continue to do it, then you'd think "how hard can that be?".

It seems a mistake to think that it's humans doing all the harm. We are, of course, the armatures that operate in doing these harms but in reality it's the ideas - our programs - that are moving we armatures.

Who designs and operates the ideas? Well, not the humans. The ideas are distinct and separate entities that operate us. We think we can choose what to believe but the beliefs choose which humans seem most fertile to their requirements and so......

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

al_yrpal wrote:What the Climate Scientists are saying is pretty horrendous. Perhaps we all ought to wear tabbards with thIs message on the back - "SAVE THE PLANET, GET ON YER BIKE! "

Al

"I rise in the morning, and greet the day,
pull out the bike and I'm on my way.
The transportation shows I care:
Every turn of the pedal - cleans the air.
Greener than green, I'm saving the planet
just like my friends Daryl, Sean, Toby and Janet.
No greenhouse gas, a tiny carbon footprint up your [moderated]
I'm on a [moderated] bike"

Google it.
mjr

Post by mjr »

brooksby wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:What the Climate Scientists are saying is pretty horrendous. Perhaps we all ought to wear tabbards with thIs message on the back - "SAVE THE PLANET, GET ON YER BIKE! "

Al

"I rise in the morning, and greet the day,
pull out the bike and I'm on my way.
The transportation shows I care:
Every turn of the pedal - cleans the air.
Greener than green, I'm saving the planet
just like my friends Daryl, Sean, Toby and Janet.
No greenhouse gas, a tiny carbon footprint up your [moderated]
I'm on a [moderated] bike"

Google it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgCqz3l33kU - NSFW. Probably not safe for helmet users either.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Giles Pargiter

Post by Giles Pargiter »

^^ Highly amusing thread I think. Very uncertain about the stress given to people who fornicate with those who have given birth . . . or the way that common language is "moderated" here but if we had a "like" button it may well cause a lot of the distastfull pedentry that occurs on this forum to fall away.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Giles Pargiter wrote:^^ Highly amusing thread I think. Very uncertain about the stress given to people who fornicate with those who have given birth . . . or the way that common language is "moderated" here but if we had a "like" button it may well cause a lot of the distastfull pedentry that occurs on this forum to fall away.

Distasteful pedantry!? Or is "pedentry" something other than delivering obscure lectures in a reedy-voiced tone accompanied by a sneer at the gathered swine unable to appreciate one's pearls? :-)

Cugel, in gown and mortarboard.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Durgemeister

Post by Durgemeister »

I'm not going to lie, I don't have a great deal of money, and cycle on a very tight budget, but I work from home at the moment and don't need a car anyway. I started out again after needing to get fit again, and walking or running didn't really appeal, and I found I actually enjoy it. Having upgraded to my current - £10 from a local Classified site - machine, I am enjoying it a little bit more.

I'll be honest, I look at some of the segments I do on Strava, and wish I could manage the speeds some do, but it is more about me, and my personal development - Like for example coming back from my favourite route - the section of NCN23 between Sandown and Newport on the IOW - and discovering that I had managed 16 Personal records, or shaving a minute or so off my regular ride.
meic

Post by meic »

Pretty much where I was fourteen years ago.
A story which does a deal of good for both the individual and the world which they live in.

I remember a couple of years into my cycling I bumped into the Brevet Cymru 400k Audax and was totally in awe of the cyclists participating in this event. Another five years after that I had completed it myself. 8)

Though I still have a car, the cycle use is almost as large.
Yma o Hyd